The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9100
Tbf his agent said that he's close to completing a deal, we just need to agree terms with inter. Lets see how this goes though.
Original post by 9MmBulletz
Carling cup so I don't really care tbh. Should've seen the game out and they were lucky as we wasted several chances. Extra time after conceding late in the game is such a killer but oh well.

We have been doing that alot lately.
If you guys could just sort out this chance wasting then you'd be in a very good position. You sort of remind me a little bit of Liverpool last season where they were missing too many chances then would get punished.
Why can't we just recall Lukaku from loan...?
Original post by Isometrix

There's no recall clause in his contract.
Reply 9105
At the start of the season we weren't playing well going forward and were lacking the final ball, now we've sorted that problem somewhat but the finish is missing and our defense has gone AWOL for some reason. Just need to get it working all together. Usually up our game against top opposition, particularly Arsenal, so hopefully a victory (or even just a good performance) will put us on a good run.
Reply 9106
Original post by -TheSpecialOne-
Ivanovic, Cole, Lampard, Essien, Ba, Torres, KDB, Cahill. I think we need to move these guys on in order to better this team. Really and truly. It's sad though, as a lot of those have been through a lot with us, but we're looking to stay up in that bracket of European superpowers, we need to rebuild. This January, I'd bring in Guarin and Martinez. Summertime should be a real good overhaul.
Nothing wrong with Ivanovic whatsoever, although I do think he's more suited to CB than RB. Cole and Lampard still have a shift to put in, although Lampard in particular shouldn't be any more than a squad player. KDB is a top talent, don't see how him going would "better this team" in anyway, although having said that he probably will be moved on considering our depth in his position and his lackluster performances for us in comparison to our other options. One of Ba or Torres staying would be fine, provided they were no more than a 3rd choice option tbf. Cahill is generally underrated IMO; he's not a top defender but more than good enough to be 3rd/4th choice for us. No point overhauling our entire squad when we don't need to.

Loads of people suggest Martinez as a solution to both our and Arsenal's striker problems, but as someone pointed out in the Arsenal thread how much do people actually know about him other than that he's fairly prolific in the Portuguese league for Porto? Don't see anything to suggest he'd be much of an improvement on what we've got (can't say I've watched him much mind), especially considering how much we'd end up paying for him, particularly in January. We'd only end up bidding for him if Mourinho was convinced by him, and if he was I think we would have already done so over summer. We'd be much better off waiting until next summer and going for Rooney should United fail to make top 4, or perhaps Benzema if Liverpool miss out and RM swoop for Suarez.
Original post by Isometrix

Depends what the terms of the loan state. If it says its until next summer with no recall option then you can't do much about it.
Reply 9108
Hmm. I guess Guarin was part of the reason Jose went to watch Belgium vs Colombia, all the press were harping on about him looking at Falcao (as if he needed to, they were in the same league last year at rival clubs!), but I guess he went to watch Guarin. Presuming this is for real, that is.

This signing kind of reeks of the Sidwell signing, tbh. Underwhelming. :colonhash:
against Liverpool. Suarez will be your biggest problem obviously but you'll need be worried about other player like Coutinho as well. Most of their plays comes through him. I legit think he is better than Oscar. Lucas has been brilliant and is mostly reliable but prone to careless challenges,and Allen helps them control the flow of the game. Henderson thrives of Lucas, Allen and Coutinho, and plays tirelessly from box to box. If Allen and Lucas do a good job of controlling flow of game, I see no reason that they lose the game.

Meanwhile at Chelsea, defense has been leaky as ever. your strikers are awful. Only good players are your wingers and attacking midfielders. Agree? Mourinho's home record is not looking like it'll last long.
Reply 9110
Original post by Dogwithwings
against Liverpool. Suarez will be your biggest problem obviously but you'll need be worried about other player like Coutinho as well. Most of their plays comes through him. I legit think he is better than Oscar. Lucas has been brilliant and is mostly reliable but prone to careless challenges,and Allen helps them control the flow of the game. Henderson thrives of Lucas, Allen and Coutinho, and plays tirelessly from box to box. If Allen and Lucas do a good job of controlling flow of game, I see no reason that they lose the game.

Meanwhile at Chelsea, defense has been leaky as ever. your strikers are awful. Only good players are your wingers and attacking midfielders. Agree? Mourinho's home record is not looking like it'll last long.

I agree with your first paragraph, Oscar vs Coutinho, I think Coutinho is better at threading through the final ball and a better dribbler, but Oscar is better defensively, it depends on what you want from the player anyway.

I'd say however, if we get a Central midfielder and can go through the Christmas period unscathed, our defence will look much better, see Arsenal, once Ramsey improved with Arteta and Flamini coming in, their defence has looked as good as it's ever been under Wenger the past 10 years. I think we'll still keep our record as long as we don't lose to Liverpool. City were the only team I was scared of us losing our record to and we've dropped only 2 points less than City dropped at home this season.
Reply 9111
Oscar is way better than Coutinho, Coutinho when he's really really on it can be brilliant but he's been terrible in plenty of the games I've seen him in. Oscar has achieved consistently good performances with regularly mixed in MOTM performances. Another level, imo.
To be fair we've technically lost it if you consider the WBA game... not really a surprise if Mourinho loses it.
Reply 9113
Original post by The Assassin
To be fair we've technically lost it if you consider the WBA game... not really a surprise if Mourinho loses it.

Yeah, but I'm sure in our original run under Mourinho we've had lucky decisions that helped us in our unbeaten run.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Yeah, but I'm sure in our original run under Mourinho we've had lucky decisions that helped us in our unbeaten run.

Yeah I was thinking this as well although this time it was right at the very last second it had happen so it was extreme luck! :tongue:
Original post by The Assassin

You could say that, but you could also say in the lead up to West Brom's second goal there was a foul on our player and play should've been brought back.

Our home record thing is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Winning the league is priority. The Champions League is more reliant on the elite (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich) having bad days and it's not something we can control. What we can do is beat the teams that are not as good as us in the Premier League (of which there are up to 13-15 definite) and see the big teams take points off each other. That's where the smart money's at.

If we finish second and have a CL semi-final, it's definitely something to build on. Hopefully Guarin slots in nicely so that Lamps can retire gracefully.

The striker problem is a non-issue IMO. Our attacking midfielders are taking up a lot of work because our central midfielders are not keeping the ball well enough and our strikers are not scoring. Getting a midfielder or two can relieve the pressures of the attacking midfielders, while giving them more space to provide for the strikers. Ba looks a nuisance if the ball is in the air, and Luiz pinged 4-5 lovely long-range passes to Demba Ba who was missing that finishing touch
I have to disagree on the first bit. Some people bring this up but looking through it I don't think it was a foul. I agree with the rest though.
I agree with your first paragraph, Oscar vs Coutinho, I think Coutinho is better at threading through the final ball and a better dribbler, but Oscar is better defensively, it depends on what you want from the player anyway.

I'd say however, if we get a Central midfielder and can go through the Christmas period unscathed, our defence will look much better, see Arsenal, once Ramsey improved with Arteta and Flamini coming in, their defence has looked as good as it's ever been under Wenger the past 10 years. I think we'll still keep our record as long as we don't lose to Liverpool. City were the only team I was scared of us losing our record to and we've dropped only 2 points less than City dropped at home this season.

Yeah he doesn't track back like Oscar but I think that will improve over time. Very good creatively.

That's true, although I think you'll really have to sort the issues out in January or else it probably won't last the season. Strange how you've invested so much but still need to fix some vital issues. This brings me to my next point: how do you rate your depth? I mean its all well and good having good midfielders but is it really working? Not trying to be cynical - but honestly think Chelsea's 'depth' is overrated. City have quality players in every position, which would be classified as actual depth. Chelsea have 3 strikers who are all worse than Giroud. I'd rather have quality over quantity.
Don't follow Le arse as you know but I'll mention them since people always comment on their lack of it

On paper they've got a GOAT midfield - but in reality Mourinho is either not using them correctly, or they just aren't performing. The strongest possible Chelsea side was still beaten comfortably by Newcastle.

On top of all that - Arsenal have had the most injuries in the league so far (source: injuryleague.com. not sure how legit). Chelsea have apparently been one of the luckiest teams in terms of injuries, and are still beneath Arsenal atm.

edit: Since Arsenal's lack of depth is mainly aimed at the strikers -
Schurrle+Ba+Eto'o+Torres' league goals combined: 8
Giroud+Walcott+Bendtner league goals combined: 10. That's not even including Podolski's 2 goals and the fact that Pod and Walcott have been injured all season. Chelsea's intimidating depth...
Reply 9118
Original post by Dogwithwings
Yeah he doesn't track back like Oscar but I think that will improve over time. Very good creatively.

That's true, although I think you'll really have to sort the issues out in January or else it probably won't last the season. Strange how you've invested so much but still need to fix some vital issues. This brings me to my next point: how do you rate your depth? I mean its all well and good having good midfielders but is it really working? Not trying to be cynical - but honestly think Chelsea's 'depth' is overrated. City have quality players in every position, which would be classified as actual depth. Chelsea have 3 strikers who are all worse than Giroud. I'd rather have quality over quantity.
Don't follow Le arse as you know but I'll mention them since people always comment on their lack of it

On paper they've got a GOAT midfield - but in reality Mourinho is either not using them correctly, or they just aren't performing. The strongest possible Chelsea side was still beaten comfortably by Newcastle.

On top of all that - Arsenal have had the most injuries in the league so far (source: injuryleague.com. not sure how legit). Chelsea have apparently been one of the luckiest teams in terms of injuries, and are still beneath Arsenal atm.

edit: Since Arsenal's lack of depth is mainly aimed at the strikers -
Schurrle+Ba+Eto'o+Torres' league goals combined: 8
Giroud+Walcott+Bendtner league goals combined: 10. That's not even including Podolski's 2 goals and the fact that Pod and Walcott have been injured all season. Chelsea's intimidating depth...

With our depth, I think we have the best depth for wingers and AMs, only bayern munich have better strength in depth in that position in the world. Besides that, everything else is not up to standard or average for the top teams. I don't think our defence is any worse than that of Arsenals, liverpools, manchester City, United or real madrids/dortmunds. But our Central midfield regularly make them look like mugs. Only teams with a better defence personnel wise would be barca(debatable), atletico, Juve and Bayern.

Personally think Arsenals midfield is stronger as they're balanced, they have a good AM/winger trio and balance that with good CM's. We have a better AM/winger trio than Arsenals but a poor CM duo. Their balance helps them in midfield.

You're right, too many average/useful players but not enough reliable week in week out world class players on our team(bar AMs), our strikers being the biggest example of this. I'm still not worried about Arsenal, the way in which we play we'll narrow the spaces and make it hard for arsenal to play through, their only threats in the match are walcott and ozil. Nullify them and that's game won.

You're right, too many average/useful players but not enough reliable week in week out world class players on our team(bar AMs), our strikers being the biggest example of this. I'm still not worried about Arsenal, the way in which we play we'll narrow the spaces and make it hard for arsenal to play through, their only threats in the match are walcott and ozil. Nullify them and that's game won.

Ramsey is having a reasonable season too you know. :s-smilie: Giroud looks tired but he'll have had 9 days off for the game and if he's on it then he'll be very useful in helping to play through you. Not so easy to defend deep and narrow with him backing into you and flicking others in. You're not great defensively atm, actually fancy Mertesacker/Giroud to dismantle you from a set piece, never thought I'd feel that way vs Mou!

Think the outcome depends on how we play rather than how CFC play, if were not on it, as we werent in the CC, then I'll want to pull my eyes out by the end of it. If we turn up we win I feel.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest