The Student Room Group

Best Film Schools in the UK?

Is there even anything that fits that discription over here? There probably isn't technically a difference between a 'Film School' and a course at a Uni, but, I mean, take the USA for example - although the film programmes at USC, NYU & (to a lesser extent) UCLA are technically just courses at a Uni, the amount of funding and size of the department and amount of links with the industry is just mind blowing. I suppose I'm asking if we have anything that can compare to that over here. Obviously the industry itself is so much smaller that it makes it less likely.

I've tried searching the 'net but can't really find anything. It's not really as simple as getting a university league table and looking at the best one that has a Film Production course, because, for example, USC is the 26th best Uni in the USA, but has the 2nd best film department. So these things can often be somewhat tenuously linked

From what I've been able to gather the best places seem to be UAL, Bournemouth, Westminster & UCA. Right? Wrong? Any others? Are there any rankings/leagure tables in the UK for just Film Programmes? I suppose a start would be a Uni that has a Film/TV department specifically, not just a 'Creative' or 'Arts' department.

I mean, USC is where I'm really, REALLY aiming for, but if I end up not getting in or being able to afford it, I want to have some options closer to home.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The guy who directed 'Dark Knight' studied at UCL?
Reply 2
tailschao
Is there even anything that fits that discription over here? There probably isn't technically a difference between a 'Film School' and a course at a Uni, but, I mean, take the USA for example - although the film programmes at USC, NYU & (to a lesser extent) UCLA are technically just courses at a Uni, the amount of funding and size of the department and amount of links with the industry is just mind blowing. I suppose I'm asking if we have anything that can compare to that over here. Obviously the industry itself is so much smaller that it makes it less likely.

I've tried searching the 'net but can't really find anything. It's not really as simple as getting a university league table and looking at the best one that has a Film Production course, because, for example, USC is the 26th best Uni in the USA, but has the 2nd best film department. So these things can often be somewhat tenuously linked

From what I've been able to gather the best places seem to be UAL, Bournemouth, Westminster & UCA. Right? Wrong? Any others? Are there any rankings/leagure tables in the UK for just Film Programmes? I suppose a start would be a Uni that has a Film/TV department specifically, not just a 'Creative' or 'Arts' department.

I mean, USC is where I'm really, REALLY aiming for, but if I end up not getting in or being able to afford it, I want to have some options closer to home.

UCA is way too new to be one of the top film places, in my opinion. As I've said before, Aberystwyth I would say is overlooked, with compulsory work placements in the film/tv industry starting this year, and having two TV studios in their department of film building (one of them is the BBC!), I would say they have very good links for their course!

Other obvious ones would be Leeds Uni, having some fantastic links to the BBC and other production companies, though their entry requirements tend to be of the higher end. But yes Bournemouth, Westminster and possibly UAL are good places to go for film. Though I've never been a fan of Bournemouth myself, just over-rated in my opinion, though that is probably a good thing if you go there! Also I might as well mention Kingston, though not a hugely prestigious Uni, the fact that their Chancellor is the founder of the Royal Shakespeare Company and a reknowned Director of Film and Theatre, can no doubt help :smile:
Original post by FTstudies
UCA is way too new to be one of the top film places, in my opinion.

Whilst UCA as in institution is relatively young, having been formed in 2008, the Film Course at their Farnham Campus is one of the longest established in the country, and has a very good reputation.

As a former student (I studied there when it was The Surrey Institute for Art & Design, UC) I would highly recommend the film course, and suggest it can definitely be considered within the top undergraduate film courses in the UK. It's a very rigorous, highly practical course with some excellent Lecturers.

You can see a brief history of the institution here: http://ucreative.ac.uk/about/history

And the film course:
http://ucreative.ac.uk/ba-film-production
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
You've got Arts Bournemouth as well which seems to always be on the serious people's list. I'd back FTstudies up on Bournemouth (not Arts) being overrated as well though.
I haven't heard good things about AUL either but if it's good enough for Ginny Weasley then surely..

I do TV but I know that Westminster's Film School is amazing. Secretly wish I was on it. A lot of people that had job offers in the industry either turned them away/quit to go to Westminster so somewhere that's got to be a good sign. Many people say it's the best course they saw and is definitely overlooked.
Reply 5
If we're talking about proper film schools and not Universities then The National Film and Television School is probably the most prestigious film school in the UK. And the price of the tuition fee reflects it :biggrin:
http://www.nftsfilm-tv.ac.uk/index.php?module=Frontpage&flashinstall=no

It's extremely hard to get into, one or two of the lecturers at my film production course (UCA) studied there. They only take like 5 students per year. You're never guaranteed a job in film, but it's unlikely for a NFTS student to be unemployed. (that's what my lecturer said :P )

And yeah, the Film Production course at UCA is one of the oldest. It's a really quality course.
Reply 6
aanyone heard anything about the university of york in relation to film?
I've got a bit of a dilemma. I have got 2 unconditional offers to do Film and TV; one is Leeds University, the other one is Aberystwyth, and I haven't even heard from Westminster, Bournemouth and UAL they may offer me a place as well. I am over the moon, but this is a really important decision to make and it can't be made lightly. My heart tells me I should go to Aberystwyth, but I don't know if I should trust my heart in this one. They got a great Film department with links to the BBC and the student life is the best in the country, but Leeds has huge prestige and great links to the industry. I stand a good chance with Westminster and UAL as well, I don't wanna go to Bournemouth though. Have any of you guys gone to one of this universities? COuld you give any information that could help me take a decision?

Thanks a lot for reading!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by gabe_filmmaker
I've got a bit of a dilemma. I have got 2 unconditional offers to do Film and TV; one is Leeds University, the other one is Aberystwyth, and I haven't even heard from Westminster, Bournemouth and UAL they may offer me a place as well. I am over the moon, but this is a really important decision to make and it can't be made lightly. My heart tells me I should go to Aberystwyth, but I don't know if I should trust my heart in this one. They got a great Film department with links to the BBC and the student life is the best in the country, but Leeds has huge prestige and great links to the industry. I stand a good chance with Westminster and UAL as well, I don't wanna go to Bournemouth though. Have any of you guys gone to one of this universities? COuld you give any information that could help me take a decision?

Thanks a lot for reading!

I have applied to do Television Production and can't decide between Westminster, Ravensbourne or Bournemouth! But surely, same goes for film, studying near or in a city (especially London) would benefit you more through a higher amount of work experience placements or opportunities??
Reply 9
Hi, I'm a Portuguese 17 year old boy who truly wants to be a film director. I've done a lot of stuff related to it, and I'm considering going to college in the UK since I can't afford higher education in the US.
I have received 4 offers: University for Creative Arts, Roehampton, Brighton, and Metropolitan University. What should I choose? I really want to know more about this, from someone with film experience. I want to have a very practical course that has great links to the industry. What is the best in your opinion. Please give me your feedback! It's really important. I have until 6 of June to decide. Someone, please help! I want to go either to UCA or Brighton but they aren't in the center of London, such as Metropolitan, which can be a Con. Do you think it's important to be IN London.
Original post by Lodipi
Hi, I'm a Portuguese 17 year old boy who truly wants to be a film director. I've done a lot of stuff related to it, and I'm considering going to college in the UK since I can't afford higher education in the US.
I have received 4 offers: University for Creative Arts, Roehampton, Brighton, and Metropolitan University. What should I choose? I really want to know more about this, from someone with film experience. I want to have a very practical course that has great links to the industry. What is the best in your opinion. Please give me your feedback! It's really important. I have until 6 of June to decide. Someone, please help! I want to go either to UCA or Brighton but they aren't in the center of London, such as Metropolitan, which can be a Con. Do you think it's important to be IN London.

Definitely UCA; it has the most established course out of the four.
Reply 11
I suggest you go to a FILM SCHOOL as opposed to studying film at a university, regardless of how well-regarded it is.

There are two brilliant film schools in the UK - the NFTS (recently voted best in the world - http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/aug/25/nfts-clean-sweep-film-awards) and the LFS.
Original post by OhMyAbdil
I suggest you go to a FILM SCHOOL as opposed to studying film at a university, regardless of how well-regarded it is.

There are two brilliant film schools in the UK - the NFTS (recently voted best in the world - http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/aug/25/nfts-clean-sweep-film-awards) and the LFS.

Those unfortunately postgraduate only.
Reply 13
Ravensbourne carries a good name in the industry, however it is quite a small institution and not to everyones taste
Reply 14
Original post by Royal Tenenbaum
Those unfortunately postgraduate only.

You don't need a undergraduate degree to study there - depending on the course, you'll need to prove that you not only have an interest in your particular discipline, but also have some evidence to show for it (a short film for the Directing Fiction course, a screenplay for the Screenwriting course, etc)
Has anyone got information about a summer crash course in filmmaking? I looked on the web but I can't decide where to go. I could afford LFS but it is still draining my budget. I am therefore looking at other choices such as London Film Academy and other places, including the various schools in Prague where lots of 4-week certificate granting things are available. Any advice here would be helpful. Thanks so much!
Original post by tony2019
Has anyone got information about a summer crash course in filmmaking? I looked on the web but I can't decide where to go. I could afford LFS but it is still draining my budget. I am therefore looking at other choices such as London Film Academy and other places, including the various schools in Prague where lots of 4-week certificate granting things are available. Any advice here would be helpful. Thanks so much!

This is a five year old thread that you have revived.

What are you looking for from a summer school?
I know it is old but i thought following the thread, people by now have richer experience to tell this novice. I want to get a good grip of skillset and build some part of my portfolio for further studies. But since I am already a mature student, I don't know if these schools can really accomodate me or if they are more or less money grabbing and give you a project to test how talented you are kind of thing.
Original post by PQ
This is a five year old thread that you have revived.

What are you looking for from a summer school?
UAL is my dream tbh 😍
I would love to know more about the film school in Brighton. How hard is it to get in and is it a good option? I'm looking to move to the UK to possibly get a BA in directing. (yes, this is a 7-year-old thread, but I'm trying my luck and hoping that someone sees this)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending