The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9300
Original post by super_kawaii
がんばってね!:biggrin:

Wow, I had to actually figure out how to zoom in on my browser in order to not read the ba as pa. Is the ne the same idea as in desu ne?

How do you type Japanese characters? Is it something you set up in settings or did you download something special to make it possible (or something else)?
"You can never understand one language, until you understand at least two." - John Searle

Does this quote speak out to anyone as much as it does to me?
Reply 9302
super_kawaii
x

Ignore my last post, I figured it out. I am absolutely amazed at one feature I have discovered: I opened TextEdit to have some fun with typing hiragana, and I decided to type ねこ for fun, and I looked along the different suggestions only to discover an entire 11-strong selection of cat emoticons available for me to use instead of a word. Best. Thing. Ever. Off to see how many animals it has in there now.*

Original post by Le Papillon
"You can never understand one language, until you understand at least two." - John Searle

Does this quote speak out to anyone as much as it does to me?

Absolutely. :smile:

*Edit: Only one bear, and three dogs, one of which is a ridiculously cute poodle.
Original post by Ronove
Ignore my last post, I figured it out. I am absolutely amazed at one feature I have discovered: I opened TextEdit to have some fun with typing hiragana, and I decided to type ねこ for fun, and I looked along the different suggestions only to discover an entire 11-strong selection of cat emoticons available for me to use instead of a word. Best. Thing. Ever. Off to see how many animals it has in there now.*

Hence why I love Japanese keyboards! 🐱 🐶 
Reply 9304
Hence why I love Japanese keyboards! 🐱 🐶 

🐩

😿 

🙊

🐬

🐸

🏇
Original post by Ronove
🐩

😿 

🙊

🐬

🐸

🏇

日本語が大好き
Reply 9306
日本語が大好き

You have a great fondness for Japanese? I googled each individual kanji in turn, ignored the hiragana as presumed particles, and only stumbled on 'Japan' as those two kanji together by accident. Otherwise I would have said 'sun source language big fondness'. :P
Though I guess I might have put two and two together with 'the land of the rising sun' and everything. :biggrin:
Original post by Ronove
You have a great fondness for Japanese? I googled each individual kanji in turn, ignored the hiragana as presumed particles, and only stumbled on 'Japan' as those two kanji together by accident. Otherwise I would have said 'sun source language big fondness'. :P
Though I guess I might have put two and two together with 'the land of the rising sun' and everything. :biggrin:

It means 'I love Japanese', and yeah, I am quite into it. I do Chinese with Japanese at uni and I'm really enjoying it. I'm currently in China on my year abroad and, while I'm missing home a lot, I can tell my Chinese has already improved quite a bit
Reply 9308
It means 'I love Japanese', and yeah, I am quite into it. I do Chinese with Japanese at uni and I'm really enjoying it. I'm currently in China on my year abroad and, while I'm missing home a lot, I can tell my Chinese has already improved quite a bit

I originally applied for Japanese/Japanese and Spanish at uni, then decided I didn't want to stop German and Spanish at that point so reapplied for that. Almost regret not sticking with the original plan now. :smile:

Edit: PS I felt very, very isolated for much of my year abroad. I think I blocked most of it out at the time and appreciated the excitement of everything being foreign, and my German improved, but looking back on it, it was one of the worst times of my life.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
I originally applied for Japanese/Japanese and Spanish at uni, then decided I didn't want to stop German and Spanish at that point so reapplied for that. Almost regret not sticking with the original plan now. :smile:

I've always wanted to study Spanish. Sadly never got the chance to at school. I did French and German. I really didn't enjoy French, but I loved German, although not enough to carry it on to uni. I love my course though, so I wouldn't have it any other way :biggrin:
Reply 9310
I've always wanted to study Spanish. Sadly never got the chance to at school. I did French and German. I really didn't enjoy French, but I loved German, although not enough to carry it on to uni. I love my course though, so I wouldn't have it any other way :biggrin:

My school did French and German too. I was just too in love with Spanish to let that hold me back. :tongue:
Original post by Ronove
My school did French and German too. I was just too in love with Spanish to let that hold me back. :tongue:

It was only offered at GCSE at my school (and when I say at GCSE, I meant only in years 10 and 11, we didn't do Spanish in years 7-9), so, wanting to do a language degree I wanted to take two languages to A Level so I was stuck with French and German :frown:
Reply 9312
It was only offered at GCSE at my school (and when I say at GCSE, I meant only in years 10 and 11, we didn't do Spanish in years 7-9), so, wanting to do a language degree I wanted to take two languages to A Level so I was stuck with French and German :frown:

One of the French teachers taught me and a couple of other people Spanish GCSE in Year 11, and then in Year 13 I decided I missed it and did the AS and A2 by myself in six months. I ended up doing English Lit, French, German and Spanish. The funny thing is that I didn't even necessarily need to do Spanish A-Level (though now I come to think of it, I probably did for the Japanese and Spanish courses I was originally applying for - not so the German and Spanish I ended up doing).
Original post by Ronove
One of the French teachers taught me and a couple of other people Spanish GCSE in Year 11, and then in Year 13 I decided I missed it and did the AS and A2 by myself in six months. I ended up doing English Lit, French, German and Spanish. The funny thing is that I didn't even necessarily need to do Spanish A-Level (though now I come to think of it, I probably did for the Japanese and Spanish courses I was originally applying for - not so the German and Spanish I ended up doing).

I so wish I could have done Spanish. It's definitely on the list of languages I want to lean, alongside Dutch and Korean :biggrin:
What AquisM said. Sorry about my erratic reply times-time zones are a bitch!

About.com is good for explaining grammar points, but if I were you I'd use it alongside other resources to practise

It's fine :tongue: (what's you're welcome, I remember the literal translation being no use to thank, so 不***謝 I'm guessing?)

Aah okay :biggrin: 謝謝

我是寫生 is what I learnt yesterday and I can also say...

你是不是寫生?/你是寫生嗎?

Going to learn the wh questions next.
Reply 9315
Original post by L'Evil Fish
It's fine :tongue: (what's you're welcome, I remember the literal translation being no use to thank, so 不***謝 I'm guessing?)

你是不是寫生?/你是寫生嗎?

Student is 学生 (simplified)/學生 (traditional) (xue2 sheng1). 写生/寫生 (xie3 sheng1) is a sketch. You're welcome is 不用谢/不用謝 (bu2 yong4 xie4).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AquisM
Student is 学生 (simplified)/學生 (traditional) (xue2 sheng1). 写生/寫生 (xie3 sheng1) is a sketch. You're welcome is 不用谢/不用謝 (bu2 yong4 xie4).

When I write I use the first one you gave but I'm using a pin yin keyboard which seems to use some traditional!

謝謝
不用謝

你是不是寫生?/你是寫生嗎?

If you want to ask if someone's a student you need to use 学生 not 写生
If you want to ask if someone's a student you need to use 学生 not 写生

When I type xue 學. But I mean
When I type xue 學. But I mean

They're the same though. When handwriting though, definitely learn simplified first.

Latest

Trending

Trending