The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hello101
Well kcl i spoke like a cave man literally they were a litlle frustrated ;-(
No hope for 4 year programs ;
Only QM LEFT. Which is jus ridiculous 2 be honest .. I agree with them having to set a cut off but i would choose the leicester and Warwick approaches for selecting candidates ... I don like tem having a cut off because then it creates borderline candidates ( which will aleays be the case)... U can reject them coz thr fell 1 point below the borderline... What warwick and leicester do means that 1 bordelrline candidates are viewed equally an second coz of their overall scoring... So if ur overall total was 1 less than the cut off means generally its a lot more than 1 because there are many factors being accounted for .... Though small cases of true borderline will always exist

I am sure u have done well for MMI
... Did u apply 4 yea at nots ? Bristol ... I am sure u will get an interview...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess you've got a point there. But Leicester uses a points system for offering interviews - a mark out of 60. I got 56 last year and was one of the last to be invited, but I got 59 this year and was one of the first. It's tough :frown:

I've applied for the 5 year courses (undergrad). I didn't get in last year mainly because of my UKCAT. But I'm much more hopeful for this year :smile: barring QM of course...

Let's keep positive, yeah? Not getting into med school isn't the end of the universe - I know from experience :wink: let's just get through this hell ride...
Reply 1461
Wow Bart's sounds really harsh this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1462
Original post by PG593
Hardly any invites have been given out mate, it's still early days. I don't understand why you're worried…with your 720 tariff points and UKCAT it's a no brainer. I assume you're a Home UK student for A100.

Thanks for the reassurance :smile: just cuz they sent an email like a week b4 saying they r starting to give out invitations but I still hvnt heard anything. Besides I don't really know wt they are looking for :s-smilie: the pages b4 r saying ppl with reasonable UKCAT scores r rejected :frown: so depressing..

Yep you r right :smile: UK home student, A100, just that I'm from a Chinese family so I'm taking a level Chinese lul

Posted from TSR Mobile
GRADUATE APPLICANTS OF BARTS

COME ON PEOPLE .... BARTS IS INNUNDATED WITH APPLICANTS YET THERE ARE ONLY 15 polls on the follwoing threads come one !!!! alteast just add ur ukcat if you dont want to say anything else.( lol i want this as I will proably wirte a guide at the end of the application cycle for Barts ...if I am not workking ... so Only honest is welcome ... no one iwll be judged )

Gradutes applying to A100 please go :- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2539213
Graduates applying to A101 PLEASE GO :_ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2539201

MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE DONE THIS .. U all have Brownie/cookie points from me !!! come on all peepz ... u know u want those brownie/cookie( due to festive period cookie is more appropriate) points
Original post by caoimhi_n
got an interview :smile:
international applicant (IB)

UKCAT: 692,5
UCAS tariff: 589

got rejected… international applicant as well

UKCAT: 770
UCAS tariff: 680- A*A*A*A*A (Pure Maths, Chem, Physics, Economcs, Bio)- Achieved

anyone have any advice/reasoning?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1465
Anyone knows if Bart will work during the next week? I suppose there are still a few days (27-29) to receive an invitation. And did they already fill up all the international slots?
I'm international and haven't heard from them yet. My stats are as followed:

UKCAT 745
UCAS: A*AB
Expecting 2.1 Biomed at UCL

They said for graduate applicants, A levels will not be used so I'm still hoping ...
Reply 1466
Original post by psmalhotra

UCAS tariff: 680- A*A*A*A*A (Pure Maths, Chem, Physics, Economcs, Bio)- Achieved

oh no... I cant believe with such amazing statistics you were rejected :frown: When did you hear from them?
I'm in a similar situation and still haven't heard back from Barts. I don't really know how they deal with us international/grads. :/
Original post by Willois
Anyone knows if Bart will work during the next week? I suppose there are still a few days (27-29) to receive an invitation. And did they already fill up all the international slots?
I'm international and haven't heard from them yet. My stats are as followed:

UKCAT 745
UCAS: A*AB
Expecting 2.1 Biomed at UCL

They said for graduate applicants, A levels will not be used so I'm still hoping ...
That's insane! I can't believe you weren't offered an interview at least. I'm sure someone a couple of days ago got an interview with a lower tariff/UKCAT combination)!?!??!!? Maybe the way they shortlist is not purely academic. Or maybe they're just drawing names out of a hat, who knows.
Original post by psmalhotra

Just wondering does anyone know the ukcat cut off for barts this year? My friend has a low ukcat score (it is above 600 but below the average I think) but she has sth like a 850 ucas tariff and she still got rejected. :O
Apparently pre-interview rejections will still be sent out into the New Year. Just living in limbo atm
What !!! How much culling needs to be there ? ( how much more blood do they want on there hands lol lol lol ). This is a tad ridiculous ! I hope they switch to bulk rejection/ interviews now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1472
Original post by DrumChops
Apparently pre-interview rejections will still be sent out into the New Year. Just living in limbo atm

How do you know?
Original post by nhta112
How do you know?

Phoned up admissions. I thought all rejections were given out this month.

Dam I thought I was avoiding the bullet by getting through December :colone:

Wait, so are they not going to even take a break over Christmas? So dedicated, aren't they. XP
Oh darn it, I thought I'd be able to finally stop obsessively checking my inbox over the holidays.
Reply 1476
So it means as long as we survive until January, we will at least be offered an interview? *hoping*
Original post by Willois
So it means as long as we survive until January, we will at least be offered an interview? *hoping*

I doubt they'll be working over Christmas, I'm assuming they probably mean rejections will still be being sent out in January

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by koyyj127
Just wondering does anyone know the ukcat cut off for barts this year? My friend has a low ukcat score (it is above 600 but below the average I think) but she has sth like a 850 ucas tariff and she still got rejected. :O

Is your friend international? This might be because the qualifications he thought to have contributed towards the tariff weren't taken into account by them like somebody mentioned few pages back that they don't accept OCR nationals or some other qualifications ?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jollygood
Is your friend international? This might be because the qualifications he thought to have contributed towards the tariff weren't taken into account by them like somebody mentioned few pages back that they don't accept OCR nationals or some other qualifications ?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

she's an international but she's doing GCE A-levels and if i rmb correctly she also has a grade 6 piano cert or sth. So I think it's pbl her UKCAT that brought her down :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending