The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CTVicky
Anyone else looking forward to next weekend? Or July even?

Craving it! Not that I'm not enjoying school but I'm a little tired. Next Monday will be the first time I can wake up at any time since early October.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh no more Uni twice a week. Just school from this point onwards (with the odd week back at Uni for this and that).

Overall I found subject session days half helpful and half pointless, Initial Professional Development days were largely pointless - I understand a lot of what we cover is important but surely they could have been covered in the school training sessions (a lot of which is anyway).

Looking forward to being in school full time after Christmas but also going to miss seeing my fellow English students and seeing how things are going. I'm sure I'll see certain people occasionally but I doubt we'll all be together very much again.

Got tomorrow and Thursday in school but it's a write off week and I'm not teaching any lessons so will just be a case of joining in with festivities etc.

Don't have too much work over the holidays so going to mostly relax and recharge my batteries ready for the final stretch of placement 1 and then the nervous/exciting moment of starting placement 2 at the beginning of March.
I need to fastforward three days. My mentor is filling in my summative profile this week and I'll be graded. It is almost certainly going to be requires improvement, which is better than inadequate I suppose! My last observation with her tomorrow and I might have another depending on how my host teacher feels. I feel like I need to just sleep forever and forget about school for a bit.
Reply 2683
Original post by Shelly_x
I need to fastforward three days. My mentor is filling in my summative profile this week and I'll be graded. It is almost certainly going to be requires improvement, which is better than inadequate I suppose! My last observation with her tomorrow and I might have another depending on how my host teacher feels. I feel like I need to just sleep forever and forget about school for a bit.

Good luck with the observations! Remember they are snapshots. You don't have to be perfect all the time.

Also sleep is goooooood. I am going to sleep so much this weekend.

xxx
Two more days to go! Bought my mentor a gift and the kids chocolate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello Christmas break!
Original post by Steveluis10
Hello Christmas break!

I just have tomorrow (form and Christmas assembly then a department feast) haha but then I'm done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
I just have tomorrow (form and Christmas assembly then a department feast) haha but then I'm done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Done at my first school tomorrow as well. Gonna miss it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
Done at my first school tomorrow as well. Gonna miss it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too, pretty gutted that we have to move on :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, last day of term. A quiz, a DVD, a Year 8 assembly, and I'm done. On a train home by 12:45, sipping a glass of single malt with my feet up by 2PM. Life is good.

I'll try not to think of all the lessons I need to plan between now and the 6th. The single malt helps with that.
Original post by outlaw-torn
Me too, pretty gutted that we have to move on :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just closed the door behind me for the last time. Hugged my mentor and the other Year 5 teacher, who's been an additional great support. Told them that I'd like to visit again in the spring term.

It's hard to imagine I'll enjoy it as much on my second placement but you never know. Only problem with this school was that we did 9 weeks on the trot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Starting to worry. Feeling a bit low.
Strange how different courses work - people talking about finishing their first placement today - I still have 5 weeks left when I go back, but I'm secondary so maybe it's different?

Head of Department said there may be a job going but A) it's likely to be only part time and B) I wouldn't really like to work there anyway. The atmosphere is a bit toxic at times, the standards are quite low and it's in a difficult area, plus it's too big for me, I'd prefer a smaller more community feel style school like I went to when I was a pupil.

I've enjoyed my time so far there and the staff are a laugh, mentor is fine. Just couldn't see myself working there.

Will have to politely decline if it gets mentioned that there's an application process - will be awkward but have to do what is best for me right?
Strange how different courses work - people talking about finishing their first placement today - I still have 5 weeks left when I go back, but I'm secondary so maybe it's different?

Head of Department said there may be a job going but A) it's likely to be only part time and B) I wouldn't really like to work there anyway. The atmosphere is a bit toxic at times, the standards are quite low and it's in a difficult area, plus it's too big for me, I'd prefer a smaller more community feel style school like I went to when I was a pupil.

I've enjoyed my time so far there and the staff are a laugh, mentor is fine. Just couldn't see myself working there.

Will have to politely decline if it gets mentioned that there's an application process - will be awkward but have to do what is best for me right?

Yeah definitely - think of the environment you would like to work in, otherwise you will be unhappy!

I'm secondary too and I've finished my first placement. We start our second one on 27th January.

--------

Had such a lovely last day - my form were particularly sneaky, they had signed a massive goodbye card for me and got me a lovely present. Actually felt like having a little cry when I said goodbye to them and the staff!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunfowers01

Are you okay? :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm schools direct secondary so have been on placement since September. Knackered isn't the word.

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done for making it to Christmas everyone! I didn't this year...was signed off for 2 weeks then the last 3 weeks have been working 50% because of illness! The ITT year is really tiring, but it's a huge achievement to get to Christmas relatively unscathed :smile:

I remember not sleeping AT ALL the last night of the Xmas holidays in my ITT year and going into work anyway. Would never force myself to do that now. Sleep and your health are really important.
Reply 2698

Talk about it here.

Yeah it depends on the uni a lot. I did primary and had two overlapping placements- one in the autumn, then a couple of weeks in the second in Jan, then back to the first in spring and finishing up in the second in the summer! So I also find it weird hearing about everyone leaving now.

They are unlikely to ask you directly about it, they'll probably mention it at the most then leave you to apply as normal if you wish. Don't feel bad, it has to be the right school for you and no-one will be annoyed!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Saw one of my colleagues teaching and she does it so much better than me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending