The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NikolaT
Interesting. In my school, the grades that go on my mock papers depend on how I actually did in the mock.

I think that was a typo
Original post by Cluck
I'm doing the same subjects as you, and History is definitely a pain. But it's still really nice to have a break from all the intensive science, even if that break is time-consuming :s-smilie:

Yeah I see what you mean maybe its just that I'm really lazy
Maths help pls

f(x)=(1+x)5f(x)=(1+x)^5 and g(x)=(2+x)4g(x)=(2+x)^4
Show that f(x)g(x)=xk+ax3+50x2+85x+49g(x)\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=x-k+\frac{ax^3 +50x^2 + 85x + 49}{g(x)} where k and a are constants to be found.

Hence explain why the graph of y=f(x)g(x)y=\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} approaches a straight line when x is large, and write down the equation of this straight line.

edit: here are the expansions btw

f(x)=1+5x+10x2+5x4+x5f(x)=1+5x+10x^2+5x^4+x^5
g(x)=16+32x+24x2+6x3+x4g(x)=16+32x+24x^2+6x^3+x^4
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7323
Original post by Red Fox
Almost finished it just 3/11 chapters left. Currently revising it for my test tomorrow:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i take it this was meant for me :lol: i'm doing complex numbers (modulus and principle argument ) at the minute :/ i'm not the greatest of fans :lol: i might quote you this weekend if i get stuck with some work ;D
I do Edexcel Maths, Edexcel Chemistry, Edexcel Spanish and Edexcel Biology.

It is such a jump from GCSE's isn't it!! I actually didn't realise. Everyone kept saying it, but I almost thought that they were exaggerating and I didn't really want to believe them I guess.

How is everyone finding it?!
I think it is quite a lot of pressure to be honest.

I have mocks in January and they have told us to revise over Christmas and I have done some, but it is so difficult trying to revise in the Christmas holidays!!!! Anyone else been told to revise over Christmas and is struggling? Any tips? x
Make a revision timetable and make sure you study for as much time as you need to to get the grades you want. I made a timetable yesterday which starts tomorrow at 9am and ends around 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7326
I've also made revision timetables to stick to after christmas until exams. Might seem early but want to get really good grades at AS, don't want to end up resitting the year
Original post by twisted
This is the year 12 thread where people are doing AS levels which you can't get an A* in.

I was taking in consideration that I would perform at 90% average this year so therefore
I would only need 80% average next year for an A* overall.

^ Assuming that's how the system works.
Original post by NikolaT
Interesting. In my school, the grades that go on my mock papers depend on how I actually did in the mock.

Sorry typo error. Meant to say report.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I was taking in consideration that I would perform at 90% average this year so therefore

that's not how it works at all.
Reply 7330
Prize Giving tomorrow and I'm missing all the morning lessons due to rehearsals :biggrin:
hello everybody ^-^
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

Nah, what you score at AS has very little impact on your chances of an A*.

To score the A*, you need at least 80% over the full A-Level AND at least 90% over the A2.
Original post by techno836
i take it this was meant for me :lol: i'm doing complex numbers (modulus and principle argument ) at the minute :/ i'm not the greatest of fans :lol: i might quote you this weekend if i get stuck with some work ;D

Yeah forgot to quote:biggrin:. AQA doesn't go into much detail on complex numbers though. All we have left is conics, trigonometry and linear laws but we have a lot of M2 to do. I got 42/54 on the FP1 test, 12/14 on the one M2 question so that went well, D1 hasn't been marked yet but that was a full paper. Hope I got around 70/75:tongue:
Reply 7334
Original post by helloeverybody5
hello everybody ^-^

Hey :smile:
Original post by Bude8
Maths help pls

f(x)=(1+x)5f(x)=(1+x)^5 and g(x)=(2+x)4g(x)=(2+x)^4
Show that f(x)g(x)=xk+ax3+50x2+85x+49g(x)\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=x-k+\frac{ax^3 +50x^2 + 85x + 49}{g(x)} where k and a are constants to be found.

Hence explain why the graph of y=f(x)g(x)y=\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} approaches a straight line when x is large, and write down the equation of this straight line.

edit: here are the expansions btw

f(x)=1+5x+10x2+5x4+x5f(x)=1+5x+10x^2+5x^4+x^5
g(x)=16+32x+24x2+6x3+x4g(x)=16+32x+24x^2+6x^3+x^4

Your expansions aren't quite correct. Try expanding them again and then do long division (or set them equal and equate coefficients). :smile:
whoops, typed them too quickly. Noticed it on my sheet but forgot to update here :/

thanks anyhow :smile:
I'm doing maths(edexcel), sociology, chemistry and psychology A (AQA)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7338
Original post by Red Fox
Yeah forgot to quote:biggrin:. AQA doesn't go into much detail on complex numbers though. All we have left is conics, trigonometry and linear laws but we have a lot of M2 to do. I got 42/54 on the FP1 test, 12/14 on the one M2 question so that went well, D1 hasn't been marked yet but that was a full paper. Hope I got around 70/75:tongue:

Haha we've got a while of FP1 to do, close to finishing D1, we've just finished critical path analysis :-)
Original post by techno836
Haha we've got a while of FP1 to do, close to finishing D1, we've just finished critical path analysis :-)

It's that the Chinese postman thing?

Latest