jack97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
When Lactose reached the large intestine its broken down by microorganisms (fermentation).

The question is:
Q : Suggest a reason why the gas is unlikely to be CO2

Ive researched the internet and cant seem to find anything
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I believe the microorganisms which use lactose as their respirative substrate break it down into a mixture of H2, CO2 and methane
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jack97)
When Lactose reached the large intestine its broken down by microorganisms (fermentation).

The question is:
Q : Suggest a reason why the gas is unlikely to be CO2

Ive researched the internet and cant seem to find anything
My best guess would be that it has something to do with the biochemistry in lactose metabolism by bacteria colonising in the colon. I remember something about hydrogen being the main gas product of lactose metabolism.
jack97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
the question doesnt make sense to me, i always thought that CO2 was mainly produced in fermentation.

it may be because there are a similar amount of Carbons to Oxygens in its structure therefore there isnt enough oxygen to produce CO2. (12 CArbons and 11 Oxygens)
shumen9523
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, I'm not sure if this is the answer in the mark scheme/ model answer but read this:
http://www.uic.edu/classes/phar/phar...se%20intol.htm
Apparently, bacteria use co2 and hydrogen to produce methane and this causes the concentration of CO2 to decrease.
Hope this helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
61.02%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.9%
No- I want it (120)
26.73%
No- I don't want it (33)
7.35%

Watched Threads