The Student Room Group

Has anyone signed that ridiculous Marine A petition?

Just came across the "petition to free Marine A". Why should he be freed when he coldly killed an INJURED enemy?

A very good quote from the deciding judge to bare in mind:

If the British Armed Forces are not assiduous in complying with the laws of armed conflict and international humanitarian law they would become no better than the insurgents and terrorists they are fighting.

Has anyone actually signed this petition?
Does anyone think he should actually not have been convicted?

And it was also wrong for his identity to be revealed.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He should serve all of his sentence, which was not unduly harsh. Bear in mind that this may not have been the first time he acted in this way.
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
He should serve all of his sentence, which was not unduly harsh. Bear in mind that this may not have been the first time he acted in this way.

Massively agreed. Ten years for a cold murder..yet the nationalists and racists I know scream "Free him". Well addressed by the judges in the case!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
He committed a war crime, and murder at that. A lengthy custodial sentence is definitely appropriate.
Reply 4
Original post by und3niable_
Just came across the "petition to free Marine A". Why should he be freed when he coldly killed an INJURED enemy?

A very good quote from the deciding judge to bare in mind:

If the British Armed Forces are not assiduous in complying with the laws of armed conflict and international humanitarian law they would become no better than the insurgents and terrorists they are fighting.

Has anyone actually signed this petition?
Does anyone think he should actually not have been convicted?

And it was also wrong for his identity to be revealed.

I personally think no laws should apply to an enemy that is as ruthless and evil as the Taliban. This isn't the Falklands war, if it was the Taliban that captured him they would have tortured him and beheaded him on a video.
Let him rot in jail. Not only did he murder someone, but he also provided some fantastic propaganda to for those looking to radicalise impressionable young Muslims.
You definitely wont win "hearts and minds" with his actions. Although the overall operations and potential operations have been a joke driven by a few interests.

Since when is killing, in general, not cold? So it's bad to shoot an injured enemy combatant who cannot fight back but it's okay to snipe an enemy combatant who cannot fight back because he's taken by surprise?

You're attempting to rationalise/moralise war, when it is murder and bloodshed pure and simple. International law is just an attempt to sugar-coat that reality. It's like the US Federal Government forcing one of it's states to abandon the electric chair for the more "humane" lethal injection, it's still the death penalty at the end of the day.

I do agree with the conviction but I think it's important to look at the reality here.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Massively agreed. Ten years for a cold murder..yet the nationalists and racists I know scream "Free him". Well addressed by the judges in the case!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i would classify myself as a nationalist ...:confused:
Reply 9
i would classify myself as a nationalist ...:confused:

"Nationalists" then. haha, sorry for the offence:redface:
Reply 10
Original post by Lady Comstock
Since when is killing, in general, not cold? So it's bad to shoot an injured enemy combatant who cannot fight back but it's okay to snipe an enemy combatant who cannot fight back because he's taken by surprise?

You're attempting to rationalise/moralise war, when it is murder and bloodshed pure and simple. International law is just an attempt to sugar-coat that reality. It's like the US Federal Government forcing one of it's states to abandon the electric chair for the more "humane" lethal injection, it's still the death penalty at the end of the day.

I do agree with the conviction but I think it's important to look at the reality here.

I don't agree with war, but an ideology of pure peace will never happen in our lifetime (Or possibly, ever).
Reply 11
"Nationalists" then. haha, sorry for the offence:redface:

i'll get over it ....eventually :wink:
Reply 12
i'll get over it ....eventually :wink:

My nan says she's a nationalist, and then rants about the EU, jobs and all that rubbish the daily mail began
Reply 13
My nan says she's a nationalist, and then rants about the EU, jobs and all that rubbish the daily mail began

i hope you have bought her something nice for Christmas
Reply 14
Original post by Quantex
Let him rot in jail. Not only did he murder someone, but he also provided some fantastic propaganda to for those looking to radicalise impressionable young Muslims.

If that were true, why is that we don't consider terrorism to be a recruiting sergeant for people to go and fight against them? Radicalised freedom-fighting would be self-defeating.
Reply 15
i hope you have bought her something nice for Christmas

:colondollar: I actually haven't..I've only got my mum a present
Reply 16
:colondollar: I actually haven't..I've only got my mum a present

she would love something featuring the Queen or the Royal baby !!
Reply 17
she would love something featuring the Queen or the Royal baby !!

Nah, she's cynical of everything! :wink:
Reply 18

Quick Reply

Latest