The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3500
Had one of my best friends get a rejection email yesterday and I got the holiday break one, which I was kind of expecting since his application wasn't really up to par and I hadn't been given an offer beforehand, fingers crossed he ends up in London at least.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by mm14
Had one of my best friends get a rejection email yesterday and I got the holiday break one, which I was kind of expecting since his application wasn't really up to par and I hadn't been given an offer beforehand, fingers crossed he ends up in London at least.

Did they give a reason for the rejection? I have a feeling there's going to be quite an onslaught of rejections on the 1st and 2nd weeks back after Christmas holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3502
Original post by gracelich
Did they give a reason for the rejection? I have a feeling there's going to be quite an onslaught of rejections on the 1st and 2nd weeks back after Christmas holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't asked him, thought it best to wait a bit for him to get over it before asking, I think it depends on which part of the application process you're on but then again you never know what's going on in the admissions department.
Original post by mm14
Haven't asked him, thought it best to wait a bit for him to get over it before asking, I think it depends on which part of the application process you're on but then again you never know what's going on in the admissions department.

I received the "add 2 weeks to your wait" email yesterday, I was 90% sure I was going to get a rejection tbh. What have you applied for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3504
Original post by gracelich
I received the "add 2 weeks to your wait" email yesterday, I was 90% sure I was going to get a rejection tbh. What have you applied for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've applied for law, I'm the only law applicant in my college so I've not got much to compare myself to, a fair few people I know have applied to LSE or a different london uni but to be honest I don't think many of them will get offers. Keep your chin up because no news is good news, its not over until you get the rejection email.
Original post by mm14
I've applied for law, I'm the only law applicant in my college so I've not got much to compare myself to, a fair few people I know have applied to LSE or a different london uni but to be honest I don't think many of them will get offers. Keep your chin up because no news is good news, its not over until you get the rejection email.

I'm the only person at my college who has applied for History at LSE. Only 3 people on TSR has received an offer for History so far I think. Yes, that's what I keep telling myself...although it's getting a bit tiresome. Good luck with your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chripro
How do you know? Have you heard of any people rejected who were told it was because of their GCSEs? At this stage, those rejected were told that it is because of their pers. statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree about people saying that it's PS leading to rejections at this point as my grades are below what a lot of people who got rejected achieved and not as good as an average LSE offer holder AND I go to one of the best schools in the country so no excuses either. I still got an offer and didn't have to wait too long for it either so I really do think that they must have just liked my PS. I really do think that LSE are as critical of personal statements as some people say
Original post by IShootLikeAGirl
I agree about people saying that it's PS leading to rejections at this point as my grades are below what a lot of people who got rejected achieved and not as good as an average LSE offer holder AND I go to one of the best schools in the country so no excuses either. I still got an offer and didn't have to wait too long for it either so I really do think that they must have just liked my PS. I really do think that LSE are as critical of personal statements as some people say

I agree tbh, I also have SHOCKING GCSE's and I resat year 12. Thought I would have a rejection by Christmas, but turns out I have to wait a little longer instead. I had help from a 2nd year Economic History student at LSE, who looked over my P.S a few times. Reallyyyy hope that has helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chriselle15
Thank you, right back at you :smile: Yess fingers crossed, maybe I'll see you next year haha. I applied to Queen's and had a 2nd interview at Lincoln, you?

Thanks and yes, hopefully! I applied to Merton and had my other interview in Hertford :smile:
Original post by IShootLikeAGirl

What subject?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
What subject?

social anthropology, i know it's not the most popular LSE subject but it still has like 7 applicants per place so theer must have been applicants who had better grades than me (probs most that applied tbh...)
Reply 3511
Got an offer for Mathematics and Economics this Thursday. Though I would let you all know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that this year, applicants who have sent in their applications really early have got much quicker decisions. I sent my application in beginning of October and I had an offer in 12 days, and I've heard similar stuff from other people too. I find that strange, because the other unis I applied to who weren't as good as LSE have taken more time, and rightly so. Also, this is just a theory, but I believe being an international student helps.
Is there a Home EU quota? I've heard it's very low
Any Home EU offers??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UsamaS
Got an offer for Mathematics and Economics this Thursday. Though I would let you all know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations, may I know what were your grades like?
Original post by james8821
Is there a Home EU quota? I've heard it's very low
Any Home EU offers??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's lower than the number of international applicants. But I'm a home applicant and have an offer for Maths with Economics. I think a few people on tsr received offers for this on Thursday. What are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Management but haven't heard of any EU management applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3517
Original post by masterclass@14
Congratulations, may I know what were your grades like?

A*AB- The average ums over my top 3 (further maths, maths and physics) was 91, if i remember correctly. But history brought it down to 88. ( I got A* because my school did the whole of maths a-level in a year rather than do further maths modules.)
Reply 3518
Original post by thinkthings
Here is a link to LSE's Undergraduate Admissions Policy (updated in 2012). On the 2nd page, there is a section called 'Admissions Targets' and it says:

"The number of (home) UK/EU student places at the School is determined through a combination of a cap set by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) and the School’s capacity to teach them.

The School meets this requirement by setting caps on the number of UK/EU and non-UK/EU students on each programme of study (the number of students from the latter group is determined by the School’s capacity to teach them, not by Government policy).

The number of undergraduate places available each year at LSE for students from the European Union (including the UK) is usually around 800. The number of undergraduate places available each year to overseas (non-EU) students is usually between 400 and 500. LSE receives many more applications from highly qualified candidates than there are places available. In 2012 over 16,000 applications were received with in the region of 9,000 from EU applicants and over 7,000 from non-EU applicants."

Do non-UK but EU applicants pay more than UK applicants?
Original post by buzfail
Do non-UK but EU applicants pay more than UK applicants?

Don't think so under EU law

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending