The Student Room Group

Accounting applicants 2014

Anyone doing an accounting related course can post any offers/questions/ opinions/ random thoughts here if they want!
Good luck everyone :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Currently have offers from Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle for accounting and finance.
Nottingham for finance, accounting and management
I'm currently studying accountancy & finance, so if anyone has any questions I'll be more than happy to try and answer them :smile:. Just thought it might be useful considering I had loads of questions and no one to ask haha.
Reply 3
Hey,
how hard is accounting and finance at university? I'm doing it currently at Alevel
Original post by GoingToBurst
I'm currently studying accountancy & finance, so if anyone has any questions I'll be more than happy to try and answer them :smile:. Just thought it might be useful considering I had loads of questions and no one to ask haha.

im actually looking for accounting courses that do maths more than reading. cause that's just kind of my thing.
any good places u can recommend?
Hey,

Has anyone considered doing a Professional Apprenticeship in Accounting instead of going down the University route?

Adele
Reply 6
Original post by BPP Professional Apprenticeships
Hey,

Has anyone considered doing a Professional Apprenticeship in Accounting instead of going down the University route?

Adele

Hi adele,

I did considered that before applying for university and being offered a place at London Met course starting January 2014. I dont think I am eligible for apprenticeship. I am 28 but I have completed my AAT Level 3 and I want to progress to ACCA.
If there is any options regarding apprentice towards ACCA I am will to consider as I have neither accepted nor declined the university offer yet.

thanks Faye
Original post by Faye.C
Hi adele,

I did considered that before applying for university and being offered a place at London Met course starting January 2014. I dont think I am eligible for apprenticeship. I am 28 but I have completed my AAT Level 3 and I want to progress to ACCA.
If there is any options regarding apprentice towards ACCA I am will to consider as I have neither accepted nor declined the university offer yet.

thanks Faye

Hi Faye,

You are correct - as you are 28, you are not eligible for an apprenticeship. However, you could apply for the 24+ advanced learning loan and study the ACCA FIA at certificate level (as you have already done AAT.)

This would mean you can start your ACCA qualification without going to University first.

For more information on the 24+ loan please see - https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learning-loans

Your two options would be to go straight into employment and:

- Approach your employer regarding funding towards ACCA
- Apply for the 24+ loan and start the ACCA qualification yourself around work

I hope this helps.

Good luck making a decision.

Thanks,

Adele
Reply 8
i must bookmark this thread
Reply 9
Original post by zeb123
Hey,
how hard is accounting and finance at university? I'm doing it currently at Alevel

anyone know i am also interested
Reply 10
also what is the difference between fin and acc and economics
Reply 11
Original post by BPP Professional Apprenticeships
Hey,

Adele

What are the benefits of apprenticeships. Is it the experience and the head start into the career? I considered it, but I ended up applying for unis and a school leavers programme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Padwas
also what is the difference between fin and acc and economics

There is a lot of crossover between the 2. But accounting is more about gathering, reporting and analyzing data and then you can specialize in certain areas of accounting. E.g tax
Economics is quite broad to begin with, looks at behaviors of society, consumers and firms to see why they are doing what they are doing and evaluate their decisions.

This is only from what I have read and from studying both at a level so don't take my word for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Jess_1324
There is a lot of crossover between the 2. But accounting is more about gathering, reporting and analyzing data and then you can specialize in certain areas of accounting. E.g tax
Economics is quite broad to begin with, looks at behaviors of society, consumers and firms to see why they are doing what they are doing and evaluate their decisions.

This is only from what I have read and from studying both at a level so don't take my word for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks
Reply 14
Original post by GoingToBurst

Can I ask where you are studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are the benefits of apprenticeships. Is it the experience and the head start into the career? I considered it, but I ended up applying for unis and a school leavers programme

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Jess,

There are lots of benefits of doing an apprenticeship; no tuition fees, experience from day one, a full-time salary etc. Depending on what career you want to get in to, you could also progress quicker than you would if you had chosen the university route. For example, you can become a Chartered Accountant in 5 years as an apprentice rather than 6 via the university route. For professional careers such as business, finance and law - you have to complete the professional qualifications after university anyway, whereas an apprenticeship allows you to start them straight away after school or college, therefore giving you a head start on your graduate peers (depending on their degree subject).

Thanks,

Adele
Don't do it........................................

(Opinion of a girl with a BA in Accountancy, MSc in Accounting & Finance and currently studying CIMA)

I love what I do, don't get me wrong, but it's a tough career and you have to really enjoy it to succeed. And you have to put up with all the accountant jokes.
Reply 17
Original post by Ice_Queen
Don't do it........................................

(Opinion of a girl with a BA in Accountancy, MSc in Accounting & Finance and currently studying CIMA)

I love what I do, don't get me wrong, but it's a tough career and you have to really enjoy it to succeed. And you have to put up with all the accountant jokes.

Don't do the apprenticeship or don't do accounting all together?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't do the apprenticeship or don't do accounting all together?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't do accounting. I jest, of course, if you are willing to put the work in and have a genuine love for it you will be fine.

You will be chartered quicker if you take the apprenticeship route, you'll be paid, and won't end up in a shed load of debt. However, I would consider a possible 'glass ceiling' if you don't have a degree (this will depend on where you choose to work; in industry or in practice).
Reply 19
Original post by Ice_Queen
Don't do accounting. I jest, of course, if you are willing to put the work in and have a genuine love for it you will be fine.

You will be chartered quicker if you take the apprenticeship route, you'll be paid, and won't end up in a shed load of debt. However, I would consider a possible 'glass ceiling' if you don't have a degree (this will depend on where you choose to work; in industry or in practice).

I'm not exactly passionate about accounting, don't think I've ever met an accountant that has! But I know what to expect, not choosing it for the fun and exciting work :wink:
I actually like the sound of working in an office at a desk. And if I do audit I've heard there is a bit of travel (not to exotic places) but sounds nice to get out every now and again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending