The Student Room Group

A bunch of questions about A levels (Need help FAST)

I want to do computing as a career in the future.
I know that you need physics and maths A levels for computing.
If I do not want to do computing by the time I am in college, I would do biochemistry(Medicine). Because of that, I am also picking biology and chemistry A levels.
All in all, it's Physics, Maths, Biology, and Chemistry A levels for my career choices. How hard do you think it is to get a B/A in all of them? What would you rate it out of 10?
Also, I am doing computing gcse and I think I'll be able to get an A/A* for the GCSE. For Maths, my predicted grade is an A. For Physics, I think I'll be able to get an A with work. For chemistry and Biology, I could pull off an A.
Also, I have a whole year to work in these subjects, to 'bunk' up my grades. I am a pretty good student. I work hard.

Reply 1
You don't need physics for A-level (for several universities, you don't even need maths) but it does lend itself to both computer science and biochemistry I suppose, so it wouldn't be a bad choice.

The difficulty is impossible to predict! No-one knows how hard you're going to work, or how easy you're going to find it. However, going by your GCSEs, if you put in enough time and effort, study consistently and develop good revision skills, you should't struggle immensely.
Reply 2
Original post by Damask-
You don't need physics for A-level (for several universities, you don't even need maths) but it does lend itself to both computer science and biochemistry I suppose, so it wouldn't be a bad choice.

The difficulty is impossible to predict! No-one knows how hard you're going to work, or how easy you're going to find it. However, going by your GCSEs, if you put in enough time and effort, study consistently and develop good revision skills, you should't struggle immensely.

Maths is a must for Computing/Computer Science, Physics is very advantageous.
Reply 3
Original post by oneabdi
Maths is a must for Computing/Computer Science, Physics is very advantageous.

Top 20ish universities off the top of my head that do not require A-Level maths for compsci: Bath, King's College, Birmingham, Kent, Surrey. There are plenty more - it's massively advantageous because it shows you have the right mind set for the subject but it's not required everywhere.

Physics - yeah, if you're applying somewhere with a very hardware-oriented course, it's liked. It's also liked over subjects like IT because a scientific way of thinking is useful, but no-one really gets their knickers in a twist over it. I got a C at AS and it wasn't even mentioned by Imperial.
Reply 4
Original post by Damask-
Top 20ish universities off the top of my head that do not require A-Level maths for compsci: Bath, King's College, Birmingham, Kent, Surrey. There are plenty more - it's massively advantageous because it shows you have the right mind set for the subject but it's not required everywhere.

Physics - yeah, if you're applying somewhere with a very hardware-oriented course, it's liked. It's also liked over subjects like IT because a scientific way of thinking is useful, but no-one really gets their knickers in a twist over it. I got a C at AS and it wasn't even mentioned by Imperial.

So you don't need Physics to do computing OR biochemistry?
Reply 5
Original post by Spratty
So you don't need Physics to do computing OR biochemistry?

Not really, it's a good subject to do anyway though, as it's a difficult A Level so shows that you can understand complex stuff.

I did all 4 of those subjects at A Level and it wasn't too difficult to get good grades as aside from Biology there isn't a massive amount of content.
Reply 6
Original post by alow
Not really, it's a good subject to do anyway though, as it's a difficult A Level so shows that you can understand complex stuff.

I did all 4 of those subjects at A Level and it wasn't too difficult to get good grades as aside from Biology there isn't a massive amount of content.

Thanks mate, I think I'll do Maths, Geography, Chemistry, and Biology. I picked geog just because I'm good at it and it can be a subject where I can just relax. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Spratty
I picked geog just because I'm good at it and it can be a subject where I can just relax. :smile:

The one subject you'll be doing that will give you lots of coursework? Good luck with that. How much work do you put into science at the moment? If you're a natural at science, you could find geography occupies more time than your other 3 choices combined.

Not that there's anything wrong with your choice. Your reasoning might not be quite on the button though, depending on you.
Reply 8
Original post by nexttime
The one subject you'll be doing that will give you lots of coursework? Good luck with that. How much work do you put into science at the moment? If you're a natural at science, you could find geography occupies more time than your other 3 choices combined.

Not that there's anything wrong with your choice. Your reasoning might not be quite on the button though, depending on you.

Really? In geography GCSE, the coursework was not long. 20 hours. How big of a leap is the coursework from GCSE to A-level? Btw, I got an A* For my geography coursework for GCSE.
Reply 9
Original post by Damask-

Bath's entry requirement page for Computer Science says:

"

Grade A in A level Mathematics. BSc (Hons) Computer Information Systems is the natural choice for those whose profile does not include Mathematics or who expect their best results in other subjects. "

If you wish to do Computer Information Systems it doesn't require A level Maths, however, Computer Science. Most if not all top 20 universities require A level Maths. (Cambridge, Imperial, Exeter, Bristol, Bath, etc)

Check their entry requirements.
Reply 10
Original post by oneabdi
Bath's entry requirement page for Computer Science says:

"

Grade A in A level Mathematics. BSc (Hons) Computer Information Systems is the natural choice for those whose profile does not include Mathematics or who expect their best results in other subjects. "

If you wish to do Computer Information Systems it doesn't require A level Maths, however, Computer Science. Most if not all top 20 universities require A level Maths. (Cambridge, Imperial, Exeter, Bristol, Bath, etc)

Check their entry requirements.

I'm at Bath and there are people here without maths who've done the BTEC route, don't assume what's on their website is final because it isn't.
Reply 11
Original post by Spratty
Thanks mate, I think I'll do Maths, Geography, Chemistry, and Biology. I picked geog just because I'm good at it and it can be a subject where I can just relax. :smile:

I do those exact subjects.... they are not too hard as long as you put in work but relaxing in geography...oh dear... you really have no clue. GCSE geography is a bad representation of a level geography
Reply 12
Original post by Damask-
I'm at Bath and there are people here without maths who've done the BTEC route, don't assume what's on their website is final because it isn't.

No I understand the BTEC route, I'm thinking about the people who do 3 A levels not one of which is Maths. How could they be entered in?
Reply 13
Original post by oneabdi
No I understand the BTEC route, I'm thinking about the people who do 3 A levels not one of which is Maths. How could they be entered in?

People get in with Use of maths/similar things like that, the department can make special considerations.

Quick Reply

Latest