The Student Room Group

lads holiday vs interrailing- serious help needed please

Hey there, I'm 17 and after my A-levels, I want to do something memorable. I have 2 sets of very good friends. The first set are my besties (around 4/5), and want to get laid in Magaluf/Napa or somewhere along those lines.

However I have another set of good friends, (about 5/6), who want to go interrailing on a small budget.

I am really poor atm, so can't do both :/. I want to do something memorable, something so that I can look back at photos and have good memories. I know that'd be hard by default on a lad's holiday, but what do you think is a better experience? Personally, I'm swayed towards Interrailing, purely because I don't see the attraction of going on a holiday to get pissed/abuse myself/go kart, when I can do that here.

Oh yeah, and on a side note, if I'm going Magaluf, there's a chance I may not get served as I won't be 18 by then.

Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Interrailing I would say. I went on a 'lads' holiday to Tenerife when I finished school and it was a waste of money. I had such a bad time. So many people do these pissup holidays in the sun. Personally I'd say you'd have a better time interraliling :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by RoryRorrzShikari
Interrailing I would say. I went on a 'lads' holiday to Tenerife when I finished school and it was a waste of money. I had such a bad time. So many people do these pissup holidays in the sun. Personally I'd say you'd have a better time interraliling :smile:

Kk thanks, and what would you say is the max. no people you should take interrailing?
Reply 3
Honestly... The less people you take with you and the longer you stay away the better. You'll have more flexibility, spend less and grow much more as a person.

I'd recommend that you ditch the idea of interrailing and devote your summer to explore maybe 2-4 countries and volunteer in one of them using Workaway or Help Exchange (Google these websites). You'll meet plenty of great people who'll become friends for life and who you can travel with. Especially if you volunteer at a hostel or something similar. The smaller the hostel the better :smile:

Have fun!

Have fun :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by habs10
Kk thanks, and what would you say is the max. no people you should take interrailing?

I went interrailing in the summer and had an amazing time, the best thing I did this year!

I'd say do it because you'll want to go for longer than if you went on a lads holiday and if you're working etc you might not have the time to do interrailing in a year or so (and if you do, your friends wont) but you'll have the time to do a lads holiday (which I doubt you'd want to do anymore after going interrailing.

We were away 3 weeks and I went out every night apart from one so got the best of both worlds tbh and even from a clubbing aspect, it was better than a lads holiday and from an everything else aspect, it certainly was 100x better!

It was cheap too, went for 3 weeks, did loads of things during the days and went out all nights, didn't particularly hold back with spending and it came to about £1100 for flights, ticket, hostels and spending money. People on lads holidays talk about spending £400 odd on the holiday then 500-600 spending money for just one week.

Basically, Go interrailing haha. Let me know if you decide to go and want any advice on places :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I think if you go for the Lad holiday now you'll have a richer experience inter-railing next time round. I did the lad holiday thing before I travelled Europe and I was glad I did to be honest because you don't want to travel the world before 27 and realise you've not been to Magaluf. And you don't want to be one of those guys who ends up going in their late 20s/mid-30s who hangs around the bars trying to pull the underagers on the dancefloor.

If you want to be young and wild do it now. If you want to be young and on an adventure do it later.
Reply 6
Original post by The-Dream
I went interrailing in the summer and had an amazing time, the best thing I did this year!

I'd say do it because you'll want to go for longer than if you went on a lads holiday and if you're working etc you might not have the time to do interrailing in a year or so (and if you do, your friends wont) but you'll have the time to do a lads holiday (which I doubt you'd want to do anymore after going interrailing.

We were away 3 weeks and I went out every night apart from one so got the best of both worlds tbh and even from a clubbing aspect, it was better than a lads holiday and from an everything else aspect, it certainly was 100x better!

It was cheap too, went for 3 weeks, did loads of things during the days and went out all nights, didn't particularly hold back with spending and it came to about £1100 for flights, ticket, hostels and spending money. People on lads holidays talk about spending £400 odd on the holiday then 500-600 spending money for just one week.

Basically, Go interrailing haha. Let me know if you decide to go and want any advice on places :smile:

aha alright, thanks, I feel bad telling my best friends I can't come :/. Also, I'm really skint atm, so for me £1100 is a bit too dear...I was thinking more along £600? We were going to take trains everywhere and minimise spending as much as poss.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by habs10
aha alright, thanks, I feel bad telling my best friends I can't come :/. Also, I'm really skint atm, so for me £1100 is a bit too dear...I was thinking more along £600? We were going to take trains everywhere and minimise spending as much as poss.

Hmm maybe just do the lads holiday then for £600 then do interrail when you've got a bit more money to go for a bit longer. How long would you want to go for and do you know what ticket you'd get? Another thing that's annoying is you've got to get out the country first.
Reply 8
You could travel for months on 600 pounds....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by habs10

Errm I'm not really too sure. Four of us went on holiday and I thought that was too small a group. Maybe like eight? I could imagine with a really big group you'd end up loosing someone haha
Reply 10
I went on a lads holiday this year, which means that 2015 i will go inter railing. Do both before you are like 22 though. Probably agree with Kiss, Inter railing looks better and it'd be a downer going on a lads holiday later in life
I went on a lads holiday and enjoyed it but all in all spent £1000 (Napa) and in retrospect, would have preferred to have gone inter-railing but I don't regret it one bit! Also it doesn't matter if you're under 18 on a lads holiday lol, the places never check.

Quick Reply

Latest