The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3520
Original post by 1901
Hospital HCAs, are you having to do an NVQ alongside your work?

i'm in a nursing home but yeh i'm doing the NVQ, not bothered really it shouldn't take up much time :redface:
Reply 3521
Original post by ameelia22
One of my patients set his curtains on fire last night 8)

how on earth
Original post by ashamoh
how on earth

Words can't even...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3523
Words can't even...

Wow!!! talk about a dramatic shift.
btw I love your blog :smile:
One of my patients set his curtains on fire last night 8)

Wow, just read that blog entry! Can't even imagine what that must've been like :eek:

Guessing that was your last night of the set? You'll (probably) eventually get used to the adjustment to nights. I did eventually, its important especially with longer stretches (in my first job we would do 4 or 5 nights in a row, but loads of days off after).
Reply 3525
Original post by 1901
A med student was sat at the nurses station the other week playing candy crush. The phone rang and I came from the other end of the ward to answer it. I'm fairly new and it was quite complex. Once I'd dealt with it she said "was that simple enough for you?"

Lol :wink:
Original post by manupalace
Wow, just read that blog entry! Can't even imagine what that must've been like :eek:

Guessing that was your last night of the set? You'll (probably) eventually get used to the adjustment to nights. I did eventually, its important especially with longer stretches (in my first job we would do 4 or 5 nights in a row, but loads of days off after).

It was literally the maddest thing...!

I hope so. The thing is my body clock finally adjusted by the 3rd night, but then trying to adjust it back again is absolute hell. Praying the nights get better after xmas. I'm convinced at some point I want to push myself to do like 8 nights or something. Just to say HYFR that's right I effin did it (to borrow a line from a drake song)...

Assuming you're back home for xmas? How was the "break-up" from Uni?

I hope so. The thing is my body clock finally adjusted by the 3rd night, but then trying to adjust it back again is absolute hell. Praying the nights get better after xmas. I'm convinced at some point I want to push myself to do like 8 nights or something. Just to say HYFR that's right I effin did it (to borrow a line from a drake song)...

Wow, 8 nights would be intense but once you get into a rhythm its not so bad especially if you get to nap during the shift (I mastered falling asleep instantly in uncomfortable places).

Yep. Christmas hols started a week ago. I live at home anyway so didn't actually have to go home :tongue: The break up was fine. Just weird being away from people I've spent so much time with (its a relatively small year group (45) and we are together 9-5 most days).

Just trying to combine catching up with work (and sort of preparing for formatives) and making some money. I miss having a regular salary so much.
Reply 3528

Yaya, I got some hilar stories too from my nights.

Once had two patients believe they had known each other all their life, and remember the 'good old days' when they used to go to the gym together (these two have never seen each other before). They then proceed to ask relatives to bring in dumbbell weights, and decide to work out in the middle of the bay at all hours of the night for the next few weeks in an attempt to impress the female nurses.

Our ward is on the fifth floor, the amount of miscellaneous hospital equipment which is lying in that poor construction site outside is appalling. Items include: curtains (classic), soap, other patients slippers, several walking sticks (this pt was 'posting letters') and the crowning achievement: a god damn Zimmer frame, I mean... How on earth, and they say drunk people are the most ingenious, that needs amending to dementia patients.

Don't forget the escapees!!

Oh and probably the funniest experience was the little old lady (LOL) who decided the sluice was her kitchen (she must have been a chef/housewife), and she agreed to do all of our 'washing' for us. Never have I had such an easy shift as when one of the patient's clearing up the sluice - wonderful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hugby1

Oh and probably the funniest experience was the little old lady (LOL) who decided the sluice was her kitchen (she must have been a chef/housewife), and she agreed to do all of our 'washing' for us. Never have I had such an easy shift as when one of the patient's clearing up the sluice - wonderful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had to practically fight a nurse so I could mop my floor (some genius architect put the wetroom shower above the height of the hospital bay, perhaps once upon a time the door seal worked :confused: ) She kept telling me to get back in bed and I was hanging on to the mop I had procured. Honestly, I'm 26 and a week of being stuck in bed made me desperate for some activity. I like that you let patients help out. It really helps with the tedium.
Some rather hilarious stories on here. You do get your moments working at a hospital, without a doubt.

I remember a patient who stole the phone off the ward sister's desk. Once he got back to his bed, every time the phone rang, we started looking for it just to find out half an hour later, that the patient kept answering the phone, and according to him, he was talking to his long lost friend from Dundee (it was actually an emergency nurse from Accident and Emergency, waiting rather furiously, to hand over a plethora of patients)

Another patient complimented me on my looks (labelling it as, and I quote " aesthetically pleasing *wink*, such a buoyant young chap"), and proposed that we should go on a date. She said all that when I was undoing her bra, preparing her for her morning wash. Why, I felt awkward. She was 85.
EDIT: And I'm an 18 year old male. I was, as they say, flabbergasted.
(edited 10 years ago)
Haha these stories are hilarious...well in ICU, most of the patients are sedated so not much patient interaction/patient stories to tell but one time in a night shift, this patient was so agitated, angry and confused, he would only talk to males....I was the only male staff on the unit, so I had to spend a lot of time trying to keep him calm etc..

Roughly around 02:30, he pulled out his vascath(thankfully the nurse was there to stop the bleed) and there was so much blood everywhere, patient was alright though and he got a stern telling off :rofl:

Doctor wasn't happy about it and had to insert another vascath(they are quite tricky to insert)
Reply 3532
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Some rather hilarious stories on here. You do get your moments working at a hospital, without a doubt.

I remember a patient who stole the phone off the ward sister's desk. Once he got back to his bed, every time the phone rang, we started looking for it just to find out half an hour later, that the patient kept answering the phone, and according to him, he was talking to his long lost friend from Dundee (it was actually an emergency nurse from Accident and Emergency, waiting rather furiously, to hand over a plethora of patients)

Another patient complimented me on my looks (labelling it as, and I quote " aesthetically pleasing *wink*, such a buoyant young chap"), and proposed that we should go on a date. She said all that when I was undoing her bra, preparing her for her morning wash. Why, I felt awkward. She was 85.
EDIT: And I'm an 18 year old male. I was, as they say, flabbergasted.

Oh god yeah, the flirting is outrageous (18 yo male here) I never know how to react - I always just blush and stutter lol...

We had a phone incident too; any noise at all and this little old lady would think someone was calling her "is that Doris/jane/Mary calling?" (This is a trinova mattress beeping here)... So I was being nice, and brought her in my old Nokia for her to play with... Anyway, long story short, I forgot to take the SIM card out, and the phone bill came through as £30 *facepalm*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hugby1
Oh god yeah, the flirting is outrageous (18 yo male here) I never know how to react - I always just blush and stutter lol...
We had a phone incident too; any noise at all and this little old lady would think someone was calling her "is that Doris/jane/Mary calling?" (This is a trinova mattress beeping here)... So I was being nice, and brought her in my old Nokia for her to play with... Anyway, long story short, I forgot to take the SIM card out, and the phone bill came through as £30 *facepalm*
Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually laughed out loud. I could completely relate to this. :lol:

Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Haha these stories are hilarious...well in ICU, most of the patients are sedated so not much patient interaction/patient stories to tell but one time in a night shift, this patient was so agitated, angry and confused, he would only talk to males....I was the only male staff on the unit, so I had to spend a lot of time trying to keep him calm etc..

Roughly around 02:30, he pulled out his vascath(thankfully the nurse was there to stop the bleed) and there was so much blood everywhere, patient was alright though and he got a stern telling off :rofl:

Doctor wasn't happy about it and had to insert another vascath(they are quite tricky to insert)

I had a similar incident when a patient pulled a urinary catheter out of his genital area when I was working in SSU. Blood started streaming down his genitals, and he screamed vociferously. I could only imagine the pain he was under.

I met the same patient a week later, he was under his bed sheet. I asked him if he was ok, and he responded "Yes, I am just rubbing it in, it makes me tingle". I wasn't entirely sure what he meant, but when a nurse and I changed his bed sheet, the wet patches and the awkward noises he was making before, made it rather clear.
Reply 3534

I had a similar incident when a patient pulled a urinary catheter out of his genital area when I was working in SSU. Blood started streaming down his genitals, and he screamed vociferously. I could only imagine the pain he was under.

I met the same patient a week later, he was under his bed sheet. I asked him if he was ok, and he responded "Yes, I am just rubbing it in, it makes me tingle". I wasn't entirely sure what he meant, but when a nurse and I changed his bed sheet, the wet patches and the awkward noises he was making before, made it rather clear.

How old lol?

Ouchhhhhhh :pain:

Hahaha that patient will certaintly be remembered :rofl: of all places to do it in!
Original post by Hugby1
How old lol?

64 year old dementia patient!

Oooh, you have a blog? What'sthe URL? Med school blogs/ med blogs get me through sleepless nights :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3538
Wow you guys have great stories!!
There was this guy with dementia who was having skin surgery on his nose once and he suddenly says. Stop stop! Don't touch me. i want another surgeon. So we get his wife to try and calm him down and he starts telling her the doctor was punching him and that he needs to get checked out and she should call the police because he's been abused.... Not sure how she managed to calm him down enough to let the doctor finish :P
Original post by ashamoh
Wow you guys have great stories!!
There was this guy with dementia who was having skin surgery on his nose once and he suddenly says. Stop stop! Don't touch me. i want another surgeon. So we get his wife to try and calm him down and he starts telling her the doctor was punching him and that he needs to get checked out and she should call the police because he's been abused.... Not sure how she managed to calm him down enough to let the doctor finish :P

LOL. Was he referred to psych?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending