The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Nursing applicants 2014

Hello :smile:

I'm applying for Children's Nursing at Surrey for 2014. Anyone else applying for a nursing course or already studying at Surrey? Would appreciate opinions and advice for applying :smile:

Also, I don't know if anyone can help me... Am a little confused on exactly what the 'rules' are for when I qualify as a Paediatric nurse. I did some work experience at a hospital and saw that qualified Adult's nurses work in recovery and deal with child patients. Does this mean as a Paediatric nurse I would be able to work in places such as the recovery unit where there is a mixture or adult and child patients? The same with trauma units and A&E.

Thanks guys :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey.. I am in the same boat as you, 2014 entry! Have you ever used this site before, I am really baffled haha, and about your questions when I went to the Open Day they told me you would work on Children's Wards, Schools , GPs (I think) and I cannot find my booklet thing I got on the Open day so I cant remember the rest - sorry. But I think you learn a little broader around the subject (so maybe touch on adults, mental health and paramedic training). As you start the first year with all of the Healthcare students together, like Paramedics and Nurses all study together. But I think in terms of placements you then go separately, as the first placements are in the Summer term of the first year (Like July time I think). If that's helpful :smile: but can you inform me on how this site works?? Like I can join questions/chats but how do I make my own.. other than kind of doing what I have done here? Thank you :colondollar:
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Hi! :smile:

I'm applying for 2014 entry too! Gonna be applying to Nottingham, Southampton, York, UEA and Oxford Brookes. Anyone already sent their applications off? :P
Reply 3
I'm not entirely sure on how this site works either... just kind of looking around and clicking!! There's a lot of help guides on here though if you're stuck :smile: I'm applying for Surrey, Southampton, Bournemouth, UWE & Worcester. Application almost finished, hoping to be sending it off by the end of the week! :biggrin:
Hi, I'm applying to surrey aswell for child nursing it seems the most popular one especially with other people that I know applying for child nursing! Good luck everyone!!
Reply 5
Hey im appling to surrey too for children's nursing !
Reply 6
Hiya! I'm applying for Child Nursing 2014 too. I've been looking at Surrey online but I can't find out that much. Does anyone know where exactly its based, like is there different campuses? and whether nurses are housed together in accommodation? and how many people they take on for Child Nursing each year?
Sorry for all the questions! want to make sure I know as much as possible before I apply :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by KatieF96
Hiya! I'm applying for Child Nursing 2014 too. I've been looking at Surrey online but I can't find out that much. Does anyone know where exactly its based, like is there different campuses? and whether nurses are housed together in accommodation? and how many people they take on for Child Nursing each year?
Sorry for all the questions! want to make sure I know as much as possible before I apply :smile:

Hi, I went to the open day and there is just one campus, so everything is together :smile: accommodation options are similar to other uni's I believe, however I think most people stay in halls where it's a mixture of different students. Sorry I don't know how people child nurses they take though! Think it is around 30...
I sent my application off for Adult Nursing at Surrey just last week! I haven't managed to get to an Open Day though, due to a last minute change of mind for this option!

Does anyone have any additional information they picked up from the Open Days about this course that isn't necessarily on their website at all? Anything interesting about the uni?
Reply 9
Original post by BackFromCydonia
I sent my application off for Adult Nursing at Surrey just last week! I haven't managed to get to an Open Day though, due to a last minute change of mind for this option!

Does anyone have any additional information they picked up from the Open Days about this course that isn't necessarily on their website at all? Anything interesting about the uni?

Hi, I study and work at Surrey and just saw your post and thought you might be interested to know that there is a Nursing Open Evening at Surrey on 3rd December. Here's a link to the event :smile: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/fhms/news/Events/nursing_open_evening.htm
Original post by echand
Hi, I study and work at Surrey and just saw your post and thought you might be interested to know that there is a Nursing Open Evening at Surrey on 3rd December. Here's a link to the event :smile: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/fhms/news/Events/nursing_open_evening.htm

Thank you for that, I really appreciate it! However, it may not be necessary now as I received the offer for an interview today which is being held on a date before the 3rd December! :biggrin: I gather I will get to see part of the University then?
Reply 11
Original post by BackFromCydonia
Thank you for that, I really appreciate it! However, it may not be necessary now as I received the offer for an interview today which is being held on a date before the 3rd December! :biggrin: I gather I will get to see part of the University then?

Congratulations! Yea it will probably be a good idea to take some time to explore while you're on campus - you can pick up a campus map from Senate House reception (the main staff building on campus) and do a self guided tour. Or on the off chance your interview is on a Wednesday there are guided tours at 1pm. I'm sure you'll also have the opportunity to ask plenty of course specific questions at your interview too :smile:

The Duke of Kent building is the main building for Nursing so if your interview is in there then you'll be able to see what it's like. Luckily for you it's one of the nicest buildings on campus!

Good luck with the interview!!
Original post by echand
Congratulations! Yea it will probably be a good idea to take some time to explore while you're on campus - you can pick up a campus map from Senate House reception (the main staff building on campus) and do a self guided tour. Or on the off chance your interview is on a Wednesday there are guided tours at 1pm. I'm sure you'll also have the opportunity to ask plenty of course specific questions at your interview too :smile:

The Duke of Kent building is the main building for Nursing so if your interview is in there then you'll be able to see what it's like. Luckily for you it's one of the nicest buildings on campus!

Good luck with the interview!!

Thank you! Yes, it's what I plan to do :smile: Aw, my interview is on a Friday, so sadly I won't get to do any of the guided tours! My interview is in that building, so that's pretty good!

Thanks for the tips!
Reply 13
i'm applying for Adult Nursing in Surrey for 2014 as well and I just found out yesterday that I have an interview next week.
Reply 14
Hi.. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for the interviews at surrey, i want to study adult nursing and i have an interview next week! What sort of questions do they ask? Is it a group or individual interview?
Reply 15
Original post by bm_sewell
Hi! :smile:

I'm applying for 2014 entry too! Gonna be applying to Nottingham, Southampton, York, UEA and Oxford Brookes. Anyone already sent their applications off? :P

Hi i just wanna ask when you applied and have you heard anything back? Thanks :smile: reply ASAP
Reply 16
Original post by humairaa19
Hi i just wanna ask when you applied and have you heard anything back? Thanks :smile: reply ASAP

hi!

i applied late Sept. It took about a month to hear back from southampton for an interview offer and they then offered me a place 5 days later! Oxford brookes got back to me 2 months after i sent my application off to offer me an interview and then took 6 days after to offer me a place. Edge hill (instead of UEA) took about a month to offer me an interview. Nottingham offered me an interview about just after 2 months. And i rejected yourk before i heard anything as i excepted Southampton's offer!

Hope this helps!!! :smile:
Reply 17
I'm starting at Surrey in February for nursing :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by bm_sewell
hi!

i applied late Sept. It took about a month to hear back from southampton for an interview offer and they then offered me a place 5 days later! Oxford brookes got back to me 2 months after i sent my application off to offer me an interview and then took 6 days after to offer me a place. Edge hill (instead of UEA) took about a month to offer me an interview. Nottingham offered me an interview about just after 2 months. And i rejected yourk before i heard anything as i excepted Southampton's offer!

Hope this helps!!! :smile:

Thanksss it really helped me because it's been a month since i've applied! is it ok to ask what ur grades n offers were. I'm just curious cos my grades aren't all that. If you don't feel like posting it publicly, you can message me privately! thanks again for ur help!
Reply 19
Original post by humairaa19
Thanksss it really helped me because it's been a month since i've applied! is it ok to ask what ur grades n offers were. I'm just curious cos my grades aren't all that. If you don't feel like posting it publicly, you can message me privately! thanks again for ur help!

ahh right! yeah, don't worry, they take a while haha! Erm my grades are: GCSE- 7As and 4Bs and my a-level predictions are A*AA in Psychology, Biology and Dance. I also go a C in AS-Chemistry and an A* in the EPQ. I wouldn't worry too much about your grades, as long as you meet the minimum entry requirements and you right a good PS, you will be fine :smile:!

Where do you want to go???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending