The Student Room Group

Help on the Tudors

Hi All,

First of all, I’m not a big fan of Tudors, it’s the only topic that I can’t understand. My essay question is ‘The Tudors created an effective and coherent myth of personal and dynastic authority’. I just need some idea in which direction to go, I don’t want the question answered, just what the question wants me to answer. I’ve asked my lecturer but as Christmas is here I’m sure I won’t hear anything this side of Christmas.

Any help would be appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by Thesnake19
Hi All,

First of all, I’m not a big fan of Tudors, it’s the only topic that I can’t understand. My essay question is ‘The Tudors created an effective and coherent myth of personal and dynastic authority’. I just need some idea in which direction to go, I don’t want the question answered, just what the question wants me to answer. I’ve asked my lecturer but as Christmas is here I’m sure I won’t hear anything this side of Christmas.

Any help would be appreciated

To me, I think you need to address the idea of the 'myth' of personal/dynastic authority i.e whether you think they were truly secure, as the q seems to assume they weren't. So imo I'd tackle this idea initially, as well as being clearer about defining personal and dynastic security.

Also I'd personally spend some time talking about propaganda (or the c16th alternative) and whether this was successful e.g. H7 using the Beaufort portcullis to reinforce ideas of legitimacy for example. Adding into this other ways they attempted to convey their authority domestically.

I think you could approach it broadly discussing the Tudors as a whole or more specifically focusing on specific monarchs and whether this was achieved by some monarchs rather than others.

That's all I can think of right now, good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by smile:D
To me, I think you need to address the idea of the 'myth' of personal/dynastic authority i.e whether you think they were truly secure, as the q seems to assume they weren't. So imo I'd tackle this idea initially, as well as being clearer about defining personal and dynastic security.

Also I'd personally spend some time talking about propaganda (or the c16th alternative) and whether this was successful e.g. H7 using the Beaufort portcullis to reinforce ideas of legitimacy for example. Adding into this other ways they attempted to convey their authority domestically.

I think you could approach it broadly discussing the Tudors as a whole or more specifically focusing on specific monarchs and whether this was achieved by some monarchs rather than others.

That's all I can think of right now, good luck :smile:

Thanks for the reply, sorry it took ages to reply but been busy with Christmas.
Yeah, that’s great help at the moment my essay is spilt into three sections
Henry VII

- Marrying a Yorkist to secure his dynasty
- Aswell as war of the Roses
Henry VIII

- Securing his dynasty with a male heir
- Information on his six wives
- Aswell as the becoming a big part in church of England.

Propaganda: as you discussed above

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending