The Student Room Group

PS4 Vs Xbox One? Which one are you going for?

Scroll to see replies

Blergh I might have to actually get one or fall behind in writing about newest games. But I just can't bring myself to do it, the logic behind getting one is so flawed. :sad:
Original post by Bill_Gates
- Next gen is about gaming experience, Forza offers a more visually appealing offering alongside fun gameplay
- Look at the title of the thread its irrelevant.

Forza 5 was clearly rushed just so it could be a launch game. It shipped with half the cars and tracks as Forza 4 but everyone is like "OMG THE GRAPHICZZ!!!". Hopefully Microsoft let Turn 10 take their time for Forza 6.
Reply 162
Original post by Mr Smurf
Forza 5 was clearly rushed just so it could be a launch game. It shipped with half the cars and tracks as Forza 4 but everyone is like "OMG THE GRAPHICZZ!!!". Hopefully Microsoft let Turn 10 take their time for Forza 6.

I agree completely the GRAPHICZZZ!!! are epic. It was the best half finished game i've ever played lol.

But the crowd are like come on!
I just got PS4, plugged it in and it happens to be one of the 0.4% that dont work. :facepalm:
- Next gen is about gaming experience, Forza offers a more visually appealing offering alongside fun gameplay

I still don't see how that's revolutionary. Even visually it's a disappointment. It still uses pre-baked lighting...

- Look at the title of the thread its irrelevant.

So you can make as many incorrect claims as you want and no one can say you're wrong if they mention PCs?
He said you need to run both the xbox one and sky in order to watch tv and have them both constantly on costing £££££. I dont use it that way we leave the sky + hdmi in direct to the tv and when i game i change the sky + hdmi to the xbox one. Its not the biggest task in the world. If you want to watch sky and tv then obviously you need both in.

Im still definitely sticking with xbox one as my main console, have moved the ps4 to the guest room :tongue:

I still don't entirely get what you mean. Do you only have one HDMI slot? Do you have the sky box plugged into the xbox? If you're watching stuff on Netflix etc...then it's alright, as it's all 60Hz anyway, but my point was relating to watching live TV through the xbox, which MS have been so keen to push. Aside from the fact that it will introduce judder because of the 50Hz signal, the xbox in that case just acts as a passthrough device, consuming more power for no real reason. I don't see why you would ever want that.

EDIT: To put this into perspective, working at what I can gather the xbox one's power consumption is, watching TV for around 4 hours per day on average over the year on current electricity prices, just watching TV through the xbox one could cost you an extra £40-£50 per year. So while it's not going to MS, watching live TV through the xbox one essentially costs the same as an additional Xbox live gold membership, and a bit more potentially. I know it's not a lot, but considering paying for the Xbox live membership was enough to make a lot of people go for the PS3 over the 360, it's significant enough. And again, you literally gain nothing from that financial outlay.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 166
Original post by heyimbored
I still don't entirely get what you mean. Do you only have one HDMI slot? Do you have the sky box plugged into the xbox? If you're watching stuff on Netflix etc...then it's alright, as it's all 60Hz anyway, but my point was relating to watching live TV through the xbox, which MS have been so keen to push. Aside from the fact that it will introduce judder because of the 50Hz signal, the xbox in that case just acts as a passthrough device, consuming more power for no real reason. I don't see why you would ever want that.

EDIT: To put this into perspective, working at what I can gather the xbox one's power consumption is, watching TV for around 4 hours per day on average over the year on current electricity prices, just watching TV through the xbox one could cost you an extra £40-£50 per year. So while it's not going to MS, watching live TV through the xbox one essentially costs the same as an additional Xbox live gold membership, and a bit more potentially. I know it's not a lot, but considering paying for the Xbox live membership was enough to make a lot of people go for the PS3 over the 360, it's significant enough. And again, you literally gain nothing from that financial outlay.

you reiterated my point from before, people will go for the lowest price next gen console not the all round best console. I rest my case!:colone:
you reiterated my point from before, people will go for the lowest price next gen console not the all round best console. I rest my case!:colone:

Surely my point above was that it's going to cost more without providing anything extra? :wink:
ps4=ps3 with better graphics
xbox one=revolutionary
Well I got a PS4 but the downside. With no games to play with it. :frown:
Original post by BenChard
ps4=ps3 with better graphics
xbox one=revolutionary

Why do you say that the xbox one is revolutionary?

This is a genuine question, not a "**** off, no it's not". I don't see how either console is revolutionary in any way; they've just been brought up to speed with PCs of a certain level so that console gamers can keep up to date with technology. Both are now using the PC architecture, which is probably good for both consoles, and PC gaming, but there's nothing revolutionary in either console, it's pretty much all stuff that already exists either on PCs or the previous consoles.
Reply 171
Neither

Wii U hands down!!!
I'd go for PS4, but I'm not a gamer so I know nothing :lol: PS2 was my childhood :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by heyimbored
Why do you say that the xbox one is revolutionary?

This is a genuine question, not a "**** off, no it's not". I don't see how either console is revolutionary in any way; they've just been brought up to speed with PCs of a certain level so that console gamers can keep up to date with technology. Both are now using the PC architecture, which is probably good for both consoles, and PC gaming, but there's nothing revolutionary in either console, it's pretty much all stuff that already exists either on PCs or the previous consoles.

for that exact reason, the console revolution :biggrin:
Reply 174
Original post by BenChard
for that exact reason, the console revolution :biggrin:

So what makes the Xbox One more revolutionary than the PS4? They both have pretty much the same PC-like hardware.
will get both eventually, but there aren't enough exclusives for me to justify getting either right now tbh, I will save up and probably get one next christmas or maybe not even till 2015.

just upgraded my PC with a high end graphics card so that should see me through till then for "next gen" games :smile:

plus still have my PS3/360/Wii for games as well.
PS4 All the way.
I got the PS4 mainly because of the exclusives coming out. However also because it's a games console rather than an entertainment system. Sony made the right decision in focusing solely on gaming. I also can't stand the idea of talking to my xbox in order to perform tasks and the fact that the kinect is forced upon when not many people would want to use it.

Quick Reply

Latest