The Student Room Group

Make Britain a country?

In and ideal world, am I not the only person that would think Britain would function if there was simply just one country, not Wales, Scotland and England?

To maintain this I propose that all the English regions are devolved so that there is less of a nationalist (English,Scottish, Welsh) agenda behind it.

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Considering Wales has a language of its own and has been fighting against England to keep their land, and Scotland doesn't really like England either..

I don't think it'd work, nor will ever happen.
You lot hate each other's guts too much for that to happen...
Are you implying that it doesn't function as it is? and what about Northern Ireland? Everyone always forgets us :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Sheepish153
Are you implying that it doesn't function as it is? and what about Northern Ireland? Everyone always forgets us :frown:

That's cos if we mention you, we might get bombed!
Reply 5
I don't really see the point in changing it?
Original post by Steezy
That's cos if we mention you, we might get bombed!

Is that seriously your attitude?
Reply 7
it is a country, it is a 'country of countries'
Reply 8
Is that seriously your attitude?

What that I never mention Northern Ireland in case I get bombed?

No. No it's not.

But I see the famous Irish sense of humour is now restricted to the South...
Reply 9

I keep forgetting whether Northern Ireland is in Great Britain or United Kingdom ><

[[Just had a look, NI is within the UK, not GB]]
the last thing we need is more centralisation of power.
Original post by Steezy
What that I never mention Northern Ireland in case I get bombed?

No. No it's not.

But I see the famous Irish sense of humour is now restricted to the South...

If you had to live in a city continuously being disrupted by bomb scares you would probably be as fed up with the whole situation as I am.
Reply 12
If you had to live in a city continuously being disrupted by bomb scares you would probably be as fed up with the whole situation as I am.

Well then my original attitude wasn't too far off the mark.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
I keep forgetting whether Northern Ireland is in Great Britain or United Kingdom ><

[[Just had a look, NI is within the UK, not GB]]

Technically yes, but I couldn't count the amount of times a commentator for the olympics or world championships has called the team "GB" for short. "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" is rather long winded for common use don't you think? Besides the point is, if England, Scotland and Wales were made into one country, what would happen to Northern Ireland?
Original post by Steezy
Well then my original attitude wasn't too far off the mark.

not really
Reply 15

Because NI is part of the UK and not the British land-mass and its nearby isles. Would be a bit odd having this big-ass island as a country, then half of the next big-ass island also part of the country. :lol:
I suppose America did it with Alaska though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Technically yes, but I couldn't count the amount of times a commentator for the olympics or world championships has called the team "GB" for short. "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" is rather long winded for common use don't you think? Besides the point is, if England, Scotland and Wales were made into one country, what would happen to Northern Ireland?

Couldn't they just say UK? I mean, isn't that just being a bit misleading and lazy for the commentator calling it GB?

If the three countries WERE to be put together (and all the fights have calmed down), NI would probably feel more excluded. If anything I'm sure they'd try to join NI in it too, possibly causing further grumbles from SI? I'm not too sure about how the situation over there stands currently to this day..
Original post by CJKay
Because NI is part of the UK and not the British Isles. Would be a bit odd having this big-ass island as a country, then half of the next big-ass island also part of the country. :lol:
I suppose America did it with Alaska though.

NI is part of the British Isles, as is the rest of Ireland and the Isle of Man...
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Couldn't they just say UK? I mean, isn't that just being a bit misleading and lazy for the commentator calling it GB?

If the three countries WERE to be put together (and all the fights have calmed down), NI would probably feel more excluded. If anything I'm sure they'd try to join NI in it too, possibly causing further grumbles from SI? I'm not too sure about how the situation over there stands currently to this day..

Yeah..lazy..or emotive. He can't exactly say "Great UK"! I'm not sure the south really cares whether the north is joined to them or not. Just a few political groups (one in particular) that can't let go of the past :/
Reply 19
NI is part of the British Isles, as is the rest of Ireland and the Isle of Man...

By British Isles I meant Great Britain and, well, its isles, rather than the named British Isles (I highly doubt Guernsey and Jersey would be a part of a country if it were to happen).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending