The Student Room Group

Anyone Regret Geography A-level?

HI,

I am just wondering if anyone is feeling overworked or stressed out by geography A-level.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by vikram97
HI,

I am just wondering if anyone is feeling overworked or stressed out by geography A-level.

no i'm not i absolutely love it, but if you want i might be able to offer some help, depending on the exam board you are on. (i'm on OCR)
Reply 2
HI,

AS right?

It isn't hard, just a lot of things to learn.
Reply 3
Thanks, I'm only asking because I have got to make my A level choices. What A levels do you do?
Reply 4
Thanks, I'm only asking because I have got to make my A level choices. What A levels do you do?

I'm 2nd year uni.

I got an A* in geog though
Reply 5

i do psychology and english lang/lit alongside geography. i really enjoy the subject, i don't find it that hard, the content is not that challenging, you need to be able to analyse things and be able to learn the content well. but the great thing is that the subject for me is never dry, cause in A2 especially we don't just learn everything in a textbook we get our case studies from video, documentaries, news stories etc.
Geography A Level is one of the best A Levels to get, as if you do a degree and want to go in to something totally unrelated to that degree after, having geography A Level will help massively, it is in the group of subjects liked by employers.
Hi I do AS Geography and I kinda regret picking it only because I don't think it is for me (which sucks because I have to stick with it now :frown:) and plus because I didn't do GCSE geography it is a bit of a struggle but if you are prepared to put in the work it shouldn't be that challenging . Hope that helps :smile:
BTW I also do OCR
Hey I do A2 level geography with the OCR exam board. Has anyone got any tips on how to learn the geographical skills unit? And how to write the section B questions. I find myself frequently getting B's in the section A's and Ds in the section B's. I feel like I know the content, but am just having trouble getting my essay structure right and identifying which stage the question is talking about. I'd really like a B overall and got a B in my recent global issues mock for climatic hazards. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by behindblueglass
Hey I do A2 level geography with the OCR exam board. Has anyone got any tips on how to learn the geographical skills unit? And how to write the section B questions. I find myself frequently getting B's in the section A's and Ds in the section B's. I feel like I know the content, but am just having trouble getting my essay structure right and identifying which stage the question is talking about. I'd really like a B overall and got a B in my recent global issues mock for climatic hazards. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:

i find it hard to know how to revise geographical skills as well, at the moment i am focusing on global issues but when i did learn geographical skills back in the autumn i mainly rewrote my notes i made and also did practice questions. for the geographical skills part that is based on your own investigation i just keep going over what i did and i made notes on that too. it is hard to know how to revise it, and i would appreciate some advice on this too.
as for the 30 mark section B questions i an help you better there.

include an introduction which defines the key words the question is about and sets out the argument you make. the key to these questions is to be analytical so when you make a point counteract it and make this clear by using words like however (don't do this in your intro though, this should be clear in the main part of the essay)

most questions ask you how much you agree with a statement or to what extent something is true. therefore you should think of reasons why it is true and then reasons why it may not be, in other words have a balanced answer. try and write about at least 2 good points, therefore write 4 paragraphs to allow you to argue for each point.

a good way to be analytical is to think of problems with your points

include a conclusion that summarises your argument and states your opinion.

i have attached 2 examples of essays that got good marks, the first got 25/30 and the second 30/30. PM me if you need anymore help
Just finished the AS Human module(s?) and it's very interesting, but hard to get all your thought together in the right order in the space of time in the essay :/ Keep getting 10 and 11 out of 12 and it's very frustrating because I really liked them when I wrote them and I know I completely understand the topic :frown: Nevertheless, I am confident it will give me some awesome skills in the long run, so I'm sticking at it. Highly recommend doing it if you haven't a definite career plan and/or aren't thinking of doing a language for A Level. Compliments everything really well and puts all your other studies into the context of the wider world and thus you can better ascertain where you want to go in the future :biggrin:
Original post by tgwktm
i find it hard to know how to revise geographical skills as well, at the moment i am focusing on global issues but when i did learn geographical skills back in the autumn i mainly rewrote my notes i made and also did practice questions. for the geographical skills part that is based on your own investigation i just keep going over what i did and i made notes on that too. it is hard to know how to revise it, and i would appreciate some advice on this too.
as for the 30 mark section B questions i an help you better there.

include an introduction which defines the key words the question is about and sets out the argument you make. the key to these questions is to be analytical so when you make a point counteract it and make this clear by using words like however (don't do this in your intro though, this should be clear in the main part of the essay)

most questions ask you how much you agree with a statement or to what extent something is true. therefore you should think of reasons why it is true and then reasons why it may not be, in other words have a balanced answer. try and write about at least 2 good points, therefore write 4 paragraphs to allow you to argue for each point.

a good way to be analytical is to think of problems with your points

include a conclusion that summarises your argument and states your opinion.

i have attached 2 examples of essays that got good marks, the first got 25/30 and the second 30/30. PM me if you need anymore help

Hey, I can't thank you enough. These are brilliant pieces of advice and I will be sure to put them into practice. I did well in my As levels and my revision technique was: take notes, write notes into revision book, make revision book into poster, do every past paper two times, and that seemed to work just had trouble getting to grips with geographical skills I particularly HATE stage 5, I'm rubbish at calculations so chi squared and mann whitney u have me confused. More revision and plugging away at it should help though . Once again thank you, and Ill take a look at your essays they should help me with the layout and structure :smile:
Reply 12
Hey, I can't thank you enough. These are brilliant pieces of advice and I will be sure to put them into practice. I did well in my As levels and my revision technique was: take notes, write notes into revision book, make revision book into poster, do every past paper two times, and that seemed to work just had trouble getting to grips with geographical skills I particularly HATE stage 5, I'm rubbish at calculations so chi squared and mann whitney u have me confused. More revision and plugging away at it should help though . Once again thank you, and Ill take a look at your essays they should help me with the layout and structure :smile:

my class has left geographical skills now as we finished ages ago so when we have finished global issues we will start revising it so i should get some better techniques for revising it then. your revision method seems good and similar to mine. and no problem :smile:
Original post by tgwktm
my class has left geographical skills now as we finished ages ago so when we have finished global issues we will start revising it so i should get some better techniques for revising it then. your revision method seems good and similar to mine. and no problem :smile:

We've been doing geographical skills alongside climatic hazards, and I much prefer climatic hazards :L Are you applying to uni this year? :smile:
Reply 14
We've been doing geographical skills alongside climatic hazards, and I much prefer climatic hazards :L Are you applying to uni this year? :smile:

we have just finished population and resources and are currently studying earth hazards. we will be starting climate hazards in January.. i am and i have had offers from all my choices. my fav course is BA/BSc geography at exeter cornwall campus, i need AAB.
Original post by tgwktm
we have just finished population and resources and are currently studying earth hazards. we will be starting climate hazards in January.. i am and i have had offers from all my choices. my fav course is BA/BSc geography at exeter cornwall campus, i need AAB.

ah we do earth hazards in January :smile: I've firms UEA for Environmental Earth Science and Insured Plymouth for geology. I need ABB. I did get offered a conditional for the 4 year master at UEA but I liked the year in industry option with a lower entry grade. I suppose if I do well in my first year at uni I could upgrade to the masters :smile:
Reply 16
ah we do earth hazards in January :smile: I've firms UEA for Environmental Earth Science and Insured Plymouth for geology. I need ABB. I did get offered a conditional for the 4 year master at UEA but I liked the year in industry option with a lower entry grade. I suppose if I do well in my first year at uni I could upgrade to the masters :smile:

yeah that sounds good well done. i was so shocked i got 5 offers i was sure i was going to be rejected from at least one haha
Original post by tgwktm
yeah that sounds good well done. i was so shocked i got 5 offers i was sure i was going to be rejected from at least one haha

Haha me too! I kept thinking at least one would think I was terrible :P
Reply 18
Haha me too! I kept thinking at least one would think I was terrible :P

i even got an offer from a uni that asked for grades that were higher than my target grades, either they are desperate or my personal statement must be good
Original post by tgwktm
i even got an offer from a uni that asked for grades that were higher than my target grades, either they are desperate or my personal statement must be good

Yeah I'm predicted AAB and my highest offer was AAB, but to be fair I've only applied for AAB, ABB, ABB, BBC, BCC. Well good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending