The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

I had a terrible nightmare a few days ago that I was sitting down and watching Doctor Who...

The American Version.

Spoiler

Original post by Kagutsuchi
I had a terrible nightmare a few days ago that I was sitting down and watching Doctor Who...

The American Version.

Spoiler

you might want to spoiler that in case the BBC's marketing department are watching! don't want to give them ideas!
The scary part is it is not unlikely with us versions of everything big in the uk. First they steal Sherlock god knows what they have up thier sleeves next
Reply 2823
My Day of the Doctor DVD turned up the other day, I have in the last 2 months got to dress up as the 11th doctor twice and come the new year I will be the proud owner of a vortex manipulator watch. Life is good, life is good
Reply 2824
Original post by yaplonker
The scary part is it is not unlikely with us versions of everything big in the uk. First they steal Sherlock god knows what they have up thier sleeves next

They didn't steal Sherlock. Maybe with Sherlock being a bit hit, it inspired the Americans to make their own adaption, but it isn't a copy. The Sherlock in Elementary is a crap load different than our Sherlock. Irene Adler was different (as she was an invention of Moriarty for some reasons) and so is Mycroft. It's a good show in it's own right, but it isn't at all as good as Sherlock.
Reply 2825
Kind of hoping that this is what AGMGTW was supposed to be (but ended up being an anticlimax of sorts because the Doctor didn't really go to war and there wasn't any battling), hopefully with the big four (even if the Weeping Angels are becoming a bit tiresome with the amount of appearances made since Moffat took over) there'll be some good action in it and a good story as well. I also look forward to Capaldi.
Reply 2826
Original post by SciFiRory
yeah I wasn't sure on that bit either, was just nice to read an article that wasn't just the usual "we hate Moffat" stuff, I know the show is far from perfect, but I do think people obsess over little things sometimes, all TV shows have flaws, most of them far more so than Doctor Who, I just want to enjoy the episodes sometimes without the entire internet exploding afterwards because of one 30 second dialog that they didn't think made sense. (not saying everyone does that, but some people seem to never be happy with the shows writers)

I agree. Especially on websites like tumblr where people just have to pick a part and criticize every little detail to a stupid degree. just watch the ****ing show
Not long to go till the Christmas special now! Seems about time they uploaded a prequel... :biggrin:

Can't wait to see what Capaldi's Doctor is like, I hope he gets a bit of screen time, not just a 'hello it's me' at the end of the episode. I'm also wondering if he'll be sporting a beard...

Capaldi's face was hidden in the first promotional poster for time of the doctor, its kinda hard to tell but he might be sporting a moustache in it. (Pictures in spoiler)

Spoiler

Reply 2828
By far my favourite show. I know on technicalities people will say that Breaking Bad or The Wire is better, and I would agree. They are amazing shows. It is my favourite show not because it is the most visually pleasing or has the best plot lines, but because it invokes nostalgia in me and it offers something no other show offers. You can get lost in the Doctor Who universe. It is also amazing how the shows plays around with history and even changes events in our pasts (such as Elizabeth I being the virgin queen). The fact that it has lasted 50 seasons is a testament to how good the show is. Here is hoping for 50 more seasons and a great Christmas special this year.
Original post by UsamaS
By far my favourite show. I know on technicalities people will say that Breaking Bad or The Wire is better, and I would agree. They are amazing shows. It is my favourite show not because it is the most visually pleasing or has the best plot lines, but because it invokes nostalgia in me and it offers something no other show offers. You can get lost in the Doctor Who universe. It is also amazing how the shows plays around with history and even changes events in our pasts (such as Elizabeth I being the virgin queen). The fact that it has lasted 50 seasons is a testament to how good the show is. Here is hoping for 50 more seasons and a great Christmas special this year.

It actually has lasted 33 seasons with a lot of specials and a TV movie haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2830
Original post by Saleem Aslam
It actually has lasted 33 seasons with a lot of specials and a TV movie haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

XD i bow down to you greater factual knowledge
Original post by UsamaS
XD i bow down to you greater factual knowledge

Haha thanks for compliment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Back at Lake Silencio, why did River Song need to shoot the Doctor again in between his regeneration cycle - surely he had used up all his regenerations by then? The same thing happens again in "Let's Kill Hitler" when Melody Pond uses poisoned lipstick - she picked poison from the Judas Tree in particular because it prevents regeneration. He shouldn't have even been regenerating in the first place?! How does the Teselecta even mimic regeneration?
Original post by Savvy Sage
Back at Lake Silencio, why did River Song need to shoot the Doctor again in between his regeneration cycle - surely he had used up all his regenerations by then? The same thing happens again in "Let's Kill Hitler" when Melody Pond uses poisoned lipstick - she picked poison from the Judas Tree in particular because it prevents regeneration. He shouldn't have even been regenerating in the first place?! How does the Teselecta even mimic regeneration?

He was in the robot of him remember so he only used a little regeneration energy.

She gave him all her regeneration energy at that time.
Original post by Savvy Sage

Probably because they didn't know that he was on his last regeneration because I doubt they would have known about the War Doctor plus Tennent's first regeneration happened on the Tardis and the resulting Doctor was placed in the parallel universe.

I watched the 50th anniversary special for the second time and I think it was better on the 2nd viewing because I could pick up on what was being said e.g. Tom Baker's cameo.
Thinking ahead to the post capaldi doctor having just watched 'the next doctor' I think it should be that guy.
Original post by NorwichtoBristol
Probably because they didn't know that he was on his last regeneration because I doubt they would have known about the War Doctor plus Tennent's first regeneration happened on the Tardis and the resulting Doctor was placed in the parallel universe.

I watched the 50th anniversary special for the second time and I think it was better on the 2nd viewing because I could pick up on what was being said e.g. Tom Baker's cameo.

I find this a little hard to believe - River Song for example would know all "his faces" although maybe not at this moment in time... despite this I'm sure in "Let's Kill Hitler" Melody points out it's his last regeneration or something.
Today is the day. :sad:
Please don't go Smith. I'm gonna cry man :cry2:
So excited but nervous!!!

Quick Reply

Latest