The Student Room Group

How far into a relationship did you say "I Love You" to your partner?

My boyfriend and I have been going out for nearly 2 months now and we've both nearly said "I love you" to each other. Friends are saying that it's too soon to say it but it just seems right and normal to say it to him.

I know I can't compare other people's relationships with mine but I was wondering how long was it until either you or your partner said it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
totally depends, I think me and my bf said it around the same time as you are now, fairly early on anyway. if it feels right go with it, your friends aren't in the relationship, you are :P
Reply 2
When I know it's genuine love I feel for the person and who they are, and not a combination of excitement, attraction and infatuation that makes up the "honeymoon" phase of a relationship.

You only really distinguish between the two after some experience, though.
If you really feel it, say it! I said it to my boyfriend 3 or 4 days into the relationship. We both meant it and we're still together. It's been 4 and a half years :smile:
Reply 4
I knew i loved him the moment i met him.we were together 2 months, then went through a break for a couple weeks which was the hardest thing ever. when we met up to discuss things/get back together, i told him then.
Reply 5
Original post by IlexBlue
When I know it's genuine love I feel for the person and who they are, and not a combination of excitement, attraction and infatuation that makes up the "honeymoon" phase of a relationship.

not really,this is my first proper boyfriend/person ive ever loved but i can distinguish between the two

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by AKWxxx
not really,this is my first proper boyfriend/person ive ever loved but i can distinguish between the two

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mmhm. Well, okay.

I guess people view it differently.
Reply 7
eugh way too soon

I won't be declaring that shizz until I'm engaged :rofl:

It depends what kind of love your on about though

there is 'playground love' where everyone just throws the L word :rolleyes:

and then theres real love :perv::giggle:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Don't listen to your friends, what's the worst that can happen if you say it too early? There are different types of love, and declaring it to your boyfriend isn't a bad thing, I'm sure in one way or another you do love him, even if it isn't the deep set romantic love yet, so it's not like you're lying or anything. I'm with my first ever boyfriend, we said it properly after around 2 months, maybe a week before or so, and it feels totally natural to say it.
Reply 9
I said it early on my first relationship, which lasted 3 years. In my new relationship, we've been dating about 2 months. I think I have the experience now when to say it. I like her an awful lot, but I think now I will know when its love. It will come when it comes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
We said it pretty early on. I couldn't say when it actually became love because I feel like I love him more everyday, so the love I felt a year into our relationship feels like nothing to the love I feel now :colondollar:
We've been together for 3 years and 10 months :smile:
For my current girlfriend and I there were two moments where we realised it, but hers came before mine. She was too nervous to say so, but after mine I just went and told her, and she said it back. It was the first time she had told somebody that, but after then it became a whole lot easier to express how she felt about things in general. I'd just go for it OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Nearly a year.
After about 2 years. It didn't feel right to say it before then.
Reply 14
My ex said it after 2 months, I felt like it was too soon, so never said it back. Why we broke up to be honest.
Original post by IlexBlue

This, this a thousand times this!

Love is more in actions than words anyway. I've dropped it fairly early in prior relationships but learned my lesson.

As said above, when you;re sure it's genuine and not just the honeymoon phase is probably a good time for it. There is no shame in holding off until you're sure, after all you don;t need to tell every partner that you love them in a misguided desire to protect their feelings.
Reply 16
My boyfriend said it first and he said it within about 3 months of us officially going out but we were best friends and liked each other for a while before hand. It was lovely hearing it but it was nicer seeing his actions showing he loves and cares for me, before and after he said I love you.
But there are different types of love. You can love someone platonically, or love as infatuation, or real deep love, etc. If I was what I call 'in love' with someone (infatuation, if you want to be picky) then I'd find it impossibly hard not to say it, and it would seem a bit dull to purposely wait off saying it...
Reply 18
Original post by iLoveRobSwire<3
My boyfriend and I have been going out for nearly 2 months now and we've both nearly said "I love you" to each other. Friends are saying that it's too soon to say it but it just seems right and normal to say it to him.

I know I can't compare other people's relationships with mine but I was wondering how long was it until either you or your partner said it?

I've been with my partner for 5 years now. I still don't say I love you.
Reply 19
My girlfriend said it to me a few times over text quite early on. I wanted to say it for the first time in person, and I acknowledged that I wasn't in love with her quite yet, so I didn't reply in kind. Then a couple weeks ago we were at a party and during it she texted me, "I really do love you". I realised that I did love her, so I caved and replied via text too. Then that evening I said it to her in person. It was 33 days into our relationship, so quite early.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending