The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Tbh I can't really be bothered to watch a video on evolution, esp as I'm really not a Dawkins fan.

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:ditto:

Of course you're not, I should have known :mmm:
Original post by manchesterunited15
Of course you're not, I should have known :mmm:

I don't hate him for his beliefs at all...hate him for all manner of other reasons which I'm not going to go into on this nice soc thread!
Reply 1902
Original post by manchesterunited15
Would be interested to see what you think about this.

I'm not a creationist, but urgh Dawkins should stick to biology and stop being a wannabe theologian.
Original post by Mazzini
I'm not a creationist, but urgh Dawkins should stick to biology and stop being a wannabe theologian.

He was sticking to biology? He's an evolutionary biologist, and that video was about evolution.
We're off to Portsmouth early tomorrow afternoon. Not sure how much I'll be online, even though we're taking my laptop. So:

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and all your loved ones, in advance Christ is born: alleluia! :jebus:
I am home for Christmas and Hogmanay.. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

:grouphugs:
Original post by tasha96
I am home for Christmas and Hogmanay.. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

:grouphugs:

:ahee: :lovehug: :danceboy: :woo: :party:
I got involved in a discussion on Facebook. All I did was mention the word "theosis." So far, I have been directly accused of egotism, sin, deliberately narrow horizons, generalisation and telling untruths. Then, somebody attempted to prove to me that theosis is known to Western Christianity by telling me to look at Eastern Rite Roman Catholicism. The key there is the word "Eastern." For crying out loud!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OurSeaBee
I got involved in a discussion on Facebook. All I did was mention the word "theosis." So far, I have been directly accused of egotism, sin, deliberately narrow horizons, generalisation and telling untruths. Then, somebody attempted to prove to me that theosis is known to Western Christianity by telling me to look at Eastern Rite Roman Catholicism. The key there is the word "Eastern." For crying out loud!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Urgh, that doesn't sound pleasant at all. You're probably best off leaving the conversation hun :frown:
Reply 1909
Helloooo all :smile: Merry Christmas and all that (check out the new festive user title! :biggrin: )

Just thought I'd pop in and say hi as I seem to be a bit of a recluse of late, but was prompted to go on TSR when I got a lovely Xmas present from them with a TSR mug and yummy lindt chocolate :biggrin:

Anyway, hope everyone is ok, keeping you all in my prayers :smile: I'm having an uppy-downy sort of time myself.. First Christmas as a Christian (yey! :biggrin: ) but also first in a single parent family, in fact my family seems to have broken up so much that I'm going to 2 different Christmases with the different factions of my family who won't speak to one another :frown: very sad.

Cheered myself up the other day by going to my Church's nativity play with some very talented young actors (by young, I mean Joseph was 3! :ahee: ).

Anyway, I'd just like to mention something that was the theme of our last New Testament lecture (on Christmas - because I do theology and get lectures on Christmas! :tongue:). Prof's point was that Christmas in the new testament is not lovely and soft and wooly, it's pretty brutal actually. A girl becoming pregnant before marriage, probably thought to be sleeping around (and therefore shunned by her community), who, if Jewish custom at the time is anything to go by, would have been about 12, a massacre of infants, Joseph and Mary becoming refugees, an arduous journey by a poor, pregnant young girl, who is eventually forced to give birth probably in a field or a barn somewhere. Not too jolly at all really. I spoke to the Prof afterwards about what the meaning of the stories was, and he said it was about how God works in a world so fallen, chaotic and violent and full of hate to, through all that, bring about the most good thing and lead the world down the path he designed. So no matter what chaos and grief and evil is wreaking havoc on your life, just look at the Christmas story and remember that despite all that, what God wants to happen, happens. Love wins.

/mini sermon on 'the real meaning of Christmas' :biggrin:

Original post by Feefifofum
Praying for all those who have asked.

Welcome back! :tongue: Enjoying uni?

Uni was great overall :smile: ups and downs - started off ecstatically brilliant, then as the term went on it dawned on me that I was there primarily to do a ton of work, and it was downhill a bit from there :tongue: Lucky for me I love my course like life itself and the department is just fab :smile:

Original post by Alpha brah
Thank you very much! I'll start on Miracles :smile:

I'm going to read up on stuff a lot for now, but may I drop you a PM shortly?

Jolly good, sorry for the awfully late reply but feel free to PM me if you have any questions :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Diety
Helloooo all :smile: Merry Christmas and all that (check out the new festive user title! :biggrin: )

:hi:

Great to see you on here! We've missed you! :yep:

Just thought I'd pop in and say hi as I seem to be a bit of a recluse of late, but was prompted to go on TSR when I got a lovely Xmas present from them with a TSR mug and yummy lindt chocolate :biggrin:

Lindt chocolate? :teeth: You sharing? :hmmm:

Anyway, hope everyone is ok, keeping you all in my prayers :smile: I'm having an uppy-downy sort of time myself.. First Christmas as a Christian (yey! :biggrin: ) but also first in a single parent family, in fact my family seems to have broken up so much that I'm going to 2 different Christmases with the different factions of my family who won't speak to one another :frown: very sad.

:hugs: about the two Christmases - must be a very difficult time for your family this year. I'll be sure to pray for you all :yes:

So no matter what chaos and grief and evil is wreaking havoc on your life, just look at the Christmas story and remember that despite all that, what God wants to happen, happens. Love wins.

Wise words - thanks for the reminder. Not having the best time atm with my depression, so it's important I have good people like you to remind me of the joy of the Christmas story :yep:
Original post by Diety

Cheered myself up the other day by going to my Church's nativity play with some very talented young actors (by young, I mean Joseph was 3! :ahee: ).

Anyway, I'd just like to mention something that was the theme of our last New Testament lecture (on Christmas - because I do theology and get lectures on Christmas! :tongue:). Prof's point was that Christmas in the new testament is not lovely and soft and wooly, it's pretty brutal actually. A girl becoming pregnant before marriage, probably thought to be sleeping around (and therefore shunned by her community), who, if Jewish custom at the time is anything to go by, would have been about 12, a massacre of infants, Joseph and Mary becoming refugees, an arduous journey by a poor, pregnant young girl, who is eventually forced to give birth probably in a field or a barn somewhere. Not too jolly at all really. I spoke to the Prof afterwards about what the meaning of the stories was, and he said it was about how God works in a world so fallen, chaotic and violent and full of hate to, through all that, bring about the most good thing and lead the world down the path he designed. So no matter what chaos and grief and evil is wreaking havoc on your life, just look at the Christmas story and remember that despite all that, what God wants to happen, happens. Love wins.

Uni was great overall :smile: ups and downs - started off ecstatically brilliant, then as the term went on it dawned on me that I was there primarily to do a ton of work, and it was downhill a bit from there :tongue: Lucky for me I love my course like life itself and the department is just fab :smile:

Jolly good, sorry for the awfully late reply but feel free to PM me if you have any questions :smile:

Hey sweetie,

Good to hear from you again :hugs:

Shall be praying for your this Christmas, must be tough but at least you can take comfort in the fact that you have a heavenly Father and Church family who are all there for you :hugs:

Such a great reminder :yep: hoping that this year God will work in my brother and show Him the faith...gotta keep trusting in God for that!
going to church for the first time since my grannys funeral 2 years ago tonight, and im very excited :smile:

kind of looking forward to christmas, but kind of not as my brother is in thailand and my sister isnt coming over and she has a baby now and her "boyfriend" wont let her come to ours :frown:
i thought christmas was meant to be a happy family time :s-smilie:
Original post by PonchoKid
going to church for the first time since my grannys funeral 2 years ago tonight, and im very excited :smile:

kind of looking forward to christmas, but kind of not as my brother is in thailand and my sister isnt coming over and she has a baby now and her "boyfriend" wont let her come to ours :frown:

Yay for church - hope it goes well. Praying that this Christmas is a joyful time for you, despite absent family members and any troubles that might be going on within the family :hugs:
Yay for church - hope it goes well. Praying that this Christmas is a joyful time for you, despite absent family members and any troubles that might be going on within the family :hugs:

were not going now :frown: urgh how bad of us :frown:
just hope everything goes ok :s-smilie:

hope you have a good day! x
[h="5"]Luke 1:30-31
And the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus."[/h]Have a wonderful Christmas lovely people :grouphugs::juggle::yay::xmasgrin::party2::party:
Reply 1916
Lindt chocolate? :teeth: You sharing? :hmmm:

It's mysteriously disappeared I'm afraid :ninja: :tongue:

:hugs: about the two Christmases - must be a very difficult time for your family this year. I'll be sure to pray for you all :yes:

Thanks TLG :smile:

Wise words - thanks for the reminder. Not having the best time atm with my depression, so it's important I have good people like you to remind me of the joy of the Christmas story :yep:

Will be praying, stay strong :console:

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Shall be praying for your this Christmas, must be tough but at least you can take comfort in the fact that you have a heavenly Father and Church family who are all there for you :hugs:

Thanks GEG :smile:

Sorry to hear that, hang in there (Skype Christmas?)

were not going now :frown: urgh how bad of us

It's not bad of you at all :smile: I'm sure you'll have a great time celebrating at home and probably feel sorry for me standing around in a crafty old village Church in the middle of the night :wink:

Original post by Joannywhite
Luke 1:30-31
And the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus."

Have a wonderful Christmas lovely people :grouphugs::juggle::yay::xmasgrin::party2::party:

Lovely verses, and a Merry Christmas to you too :smile:
Original post by Diety

Sorry to hear that, hang in there (Skype Christmas?)

It's not bad of you at all :smile: I'm sure you'll have a great time celebrating at home and probably feel sorry for me standing around in a crafty old village Church in the middle of the night :wink:

yeah there skyping us tomorrow, and were going to see my sister, but were only allowed round for an hour or so because of her "boyfriend"

but it was crib service we were meant to be going to, and i love crib service :s-smilie: however yes our church doesnt have heating i dont think :tongue:
but have fun, guessing your going to midnight mass?
Reply 1918
Happy Christmas to everyone on here:smile:, aren't we blessed!

It's been lovely reading your honest posts and how the amazing love of Jesus and the grace of God is seeing us all through the highs and lows.

1 Peter 1 v 3

'Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade--kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1919
Hey everyone, Merry Christmas!!! :merryxmas:
I'm wishing everyone early because i hope to put my computer away and spend time with the family tomorrow. :smile: It's our first Christmas here in Britain and I'm so grateful for how much God has blessed us in the past year. Really love some of the traditions here. It's also my last Christmas in my childhood haha (I'll be heading off to uni next year) :frown: haha but I'm quite excited for uni :smile:

Also, I wanted to share this song with everyone. Really love that this song captures the true meaning of Christmas!
http://youtu.be/iS0QOYsoGOU

Again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending