The Student Room Group

Which sociology master? economic/political/elite sociology

Hey there,

I am currently studying a bachelor's degree in Social Science (Society, Politics and Media) in Germany and am now looking for suitable postgraduate programmes in the UK.

I am very interested in elite sociology, political sociology, economic sociology and sociological theories. I also want to study research methods and am especially interested in qualitative methodology.

The content of the degree and the research focus of the department I apply to is very important for me. I would like to study in a place that deals very critically with current social developments and social/political/economic power structures. Also, the department should have a very good reputation. The city is not so important...

So far I have applied to LSE (MSc Political Sociology) and Edinburgh (MSc Global Social Change, conditional offer). I am thinking about applying to

Lancaster - MA Sociology
Leeds - MA International Social Transformation
Manchester - MA Sociology
Bristol - MSc Sociology

I also thought about studying IPE, but it has a very quantitative and economic approach?

Any other departments I should look at, are there any opinions and experiences with the programmes I am interested in? Any advice?

Thank you so much!

stormbird
Original post by stormbird

I also thought about studying IPE, but it has a very quantitative and economic approach?

To me, it makes little sense to go for IPE with a background and interest in sociology (unless you have taken courses in politics and international relations). Anyways it is not always quantitative, it depends on the methodological approach of the department. But yes International Political Economy deals with economic issues.

As for other departments, try to look at Durham, Sussex, Glasgow.

Quick Reply

Latest