The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by Bookler_Natsu
I'm surprised that they work till so late. I thought they would have gone on Christmas holiday weeks ago and not care about the admissions :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah, they're probably sat doing Secret Santa or something!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't bring myself to revise for the mocks and I'm just sat thinking about the A* grade... That little star on the top scares me.

90% is needed to be achieved in all exams to get an A*, that is scary.

I really doubt that I can do that :cry: During my As levels, I tried my best and the maximum I got in one of my subjects is 89% overall, still far off from 90%.

The more I think about it the more terrified I get :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't bring myself to revise for the mocks and I'm just sat thinking about the A* grade... That little star on the top scares me.

I really doubt that I can do that :cry: During my As levels, I tried my best and the maximum I got in one of my subjects is 89% overall, the rest being lower, still far off from 90%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alright Durham, you've got 11 minutes to reply to me or there'll be trouble!

...yeah, don't think I'll be hearing this year. :tongue:

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great christmas! :biggrin:
Reply 1184

I really doubt that I can do that :cry: During my As levels, I tried my best and the maximum I got in one of my subjects is 89% overall, still far off from 90%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg, I've been feeling the same way lately. Especially in the sciences, due to the assessed practicals. Since getting 90% raw marks only gives 80% UMS, I really don't think I can do it. (This is for OCR A)
So I'm hoping to get the A* in Maths. This is provided I get an offer from Oxford, as that is the only uni for which I'd need to get an A*.
Original post by Gotzz
Omg, I've been feeling the same way lately. Especially in the sciences, due to the assessed practicals. Since getting 90% raw marks only gives 80% UMS, I really don't think I can do it. (This is for OCR A)
So I'm hoping to get the A* in Maths. This is provided I get an offer from Oxford, as that is the only uni for which I'd need to get an A*.

90% raw marks for 80% UMS?!!! That is crazy!! Does that mean like 95% for 90% UMS???
I think it's waaaaay to hard to get an A* in the sciences too... The 89% mark I got in AS was in fact in my maths exams.
The practicals are insane, I don't understand how people do so well in them.

I got Oxford and Durham asking for an A* :cry: looks like I've got to be ready for York. Though I do like York very much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gotzz

90% raw marks for 80% UMS?!!! That is crazy!! Does that mean like 95% for 90% UMS???
I think it's waaaaay to hard to get an A* in the sciences too... The 89% mark I got in AS was in fact in my maths exams.

I got Oxford and Durham asking for an A* :cry: looks like I've got to be ready for York. Though I do like York very much.

I do OCR A too! But, especially for the A2 exams, I've found based on past papers that it's almost always around 80% raw marks for 80% UMS?? Usually 100% UMS isn't even close to 100% raw marks for the larger papers! The A* in the science subjects though is definitely a challenge!

I always thought other schools did the same with the practicals, but last year I got 100% in them because our teachers basically told us all the answers in a "prep-lesson" before the actual practical. Is this not the case in other schools?...:eek:
Reply 1187

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, pretty much. So I'd have to get at least like 38/40 raw marks :frown:
It's annoying because I only need like 205 UMS (68% average) this year to get an A overall in Chemistry but 270 UMS to get an A* :eek:

Original post by theCreator
I do OCR A too! But, especially for the A2 exams, I've found based on past papers that it's almost always around 80% raw marks for 80% UMS?? Usually 100% UMS isn't even close to 100% raw marks for the larger papers! The A* in the science subjects though is definitely a challenge!

I always thought other schools did the same with the practicals, but last year I got 100% in them because our teachers basically told us all the answers in a "prep-lesson" before the actual practical. Is this not the case in other schools?...:eek:

I'm talking about the assessed practicals when I say 90% raw marks = 80% UMS.
No, I don't think they're supposed to do that. My teacher gives practice practicals but they're still different to the real thing. Last year I got 37/40 in Chemistry, dropping a single mark in each type of assessment. But getting that this year wouldn't even be good enough! And having done only a quantitative this year and already having dropped 2 marks, I am not in a good position. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1188
I remember that when I did my A levels, there was one maths paper where I got ~90% raw scaled up to 100% UMS. These things work both ways; the raw paper marks should (in theory at least!) be mapped onto UMS to give students a fair result based on their performance relative to their cohort, so stories of scores of 90% being moderated down to 80% UMS just indicate that the paper was generally considered by the examiners to have been easier than anticipated.

I suppose one issue with assessed practicals is that school teachers are likely to err on the generous side with their marking these are their own pupils, after all with the result that large numbers of people end up with slightly inflated scores that then have to be pulled down to stop the average from being too high.
Reply 1189
Original post by BJack
I remember that when I did my A levels, there was one maths paper where I got ~90% raw scaled up to 100% UMS. These things work both ways; the raw paper marks should (in theory at least!) be mapped onto UMS to give students a fair result based on their performance relative to their cohort, so stories of scores of 90% being moderated down to 80% UMS just indicate that the paper was generally considered by the examiners to have been easier than anticipated.

I suppose one issue with assessed practicals is that school teachers are likely to err on the generous side with their marking these are their own pupils, after all with the result that large numbers of people end up with slightly inflated scores that then have to be pulled down to stop the average from being too high.

Yeah, I was talking specifically about assessed practicals when I said you need 90% raw marks to get 80% UMS. And I guess it must be due to the reason you pointed out, some schools help their students out a lot more by practically giving them the answers.
Reply 1190
Currently in my first year on a different course but reapplying for Chemistry. I've sent off applications to Warwick, Birmingham, Sheffield, Leeds and Liverpool. (assuming I get all of my offers back I'm just trying to pick between Sheffield, Liverpool and Birmingham. I'm at Leeds now and the University isn't that fab)
Reply 1191
Guys, I got molymods for Christmas :biggrin:
Original post by Gotzz

Make something and post it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1193
Original post by addylad
Make something and post it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok. Here is 4-chlorohept-2-ene:

Cis:
cis.jpg
And trans:
trans.jpg

Sorry for not being anymore creative but I haven't done A2 organics yet :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Gotzz
Ok. Here is 4-chlorosept-2-ene:

Cis:
cis.jpg
And trans:
trans.jpg

Sorry for not being anymore creative but I haven't done A2 organics yet :biggrin:

Shouldn't it be 4-chlorohept-2-ene? Or am I just getting confused? :colondollar:

MOLYMODS ARE SO COOL! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1195
Original post by lizz-ie
Shouldn't it be 4-chlorohept-2-ene? Or am I just getting confused? :colondollar:

MOLYMODS ARE SO COOL! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, lmao. I will edit, thanks for pointing it out :biggrin:
Edit: hahaha, I'm Lithuanian and the Lithuanian word for 7 is septyni, hence the sept. :lol:
Original post by Gotzz

I might invest in some :biggrin:
Original post by Gotzz
Ok. Here is 4-chlorohept-2-ene:

Cis:
cis.jpg
And trans:
trans.jpg

Want want want! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
YES! Nice to see you making stuff with your mollymod kit! It's what I did when I got mine in first year, made caffeine and teased the dentist across the corridoor with it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending