The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

That's a really broad question.

Have a look through uni modules and pick out some of the topics that interest you, then start doing wider reading on those. Geography is such a wide topic that it'd be difficult to recommend books without knowing what particular aspects of the subject you enjoy the most.
GEOGRAPHERS

Calling every person that likes Geography, studies Geography, or works in a Geography related field!

Join the TSR Geography Society! You might aswell, who knows how useful it would be? If you have useful advice - spread it to other budding Geographers. If you need Advice, the society will be able to help!

Join.Join.Join : Best SOCIETY EVERRRRRRRRRR :smile:
Reply 4
Having just finished my degree in BSc Geography I can say there is no one textbook you can read to prepare you to study a course at university. The subject is very broad and different universities offer very different modules (I imagine this to be the case with geology and many other subjects). You could find out what your core modules will be and do a little research. The best preparation though would be to get hold of a study skills textbook for university. University is very different from A levels and you need to quickly get to grips with new skills such as learning how to reference properly, write essays and reports, find and effectively read journals and other appropriate information sources and develop research strategies. This may seem a bit dull but these skills make the difference between 2.2 and 2.1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could read An introduction to Physical Geography by Joseph Holden, it is a fundamental book for first year students and beyond. But I'm not sure how impressed the admissions tutor will be seeing that you are listing some books in there...you better read them, what if you will be interviewed later on and asked some questions?
You will gain nothing from mentioning books titles, trust me
Original post by AlexandraS24
You could read An introduction to Physical Geography by Joseph Holden, it is a fundamental book for first year students and beyond. But I'm not sure how impressed the admissions tutor will be seeing that you are listing some books in there...you better read them, what if you will be interviewed later on and asked some questions?
You will gain nothing from mentioning books titles, trust me

I'm applying for Geography 2014 entry and a friend bought me this book. I can't recommend it enough!
Reply 7
BBC News: Business, Science and Environment and Politics sections are all worth keeping an eye on. In terms of books try one of the James Lovelock Gaia theory books. On the human geography side you could have a look at Introducing Human Geographies. But it may just be better to discuss an issue that really interests you, through a geographical lens. For example you could read a book of the financial crisis, or rainforests and develop some ideas from the books.

Source:http://geography-at-uni.weebly.com/personal-statement-reading.html
Reply 8
Original post by Sam23w
BBC News: Business, Science and Environment and Politics sections are all worth keeping an eye on. In terms of books try one of the James Lovelock Gaia theory books. On the human geography side you could have a look at Introducing Human Geographies. But it may just be better to discuss an issue that really interests you, through a geographical lens. For example you could read a book of the financial crisis, or rainforests and develop some ideas from the books.

Source:http://geography-at-uni.weebly.com/personal-statement-reading.html

I agree, BBC News is great for geography. I brought in some things I'd read a few days before on there into my Oxford interview and also did so on my human geography exam paper this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I read 'geography: a very short introduction' great for a general overview
Reply 10
Go read the skeptical environmentalist... Human geographers love to hate that book!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
News articles, national geographic, geography review etc..
Reply 12
I'm reading "Six degrees" by Mark Lynas which focuses on the effects small increases in temperature could have globally, quite a good read if you're interested in the global warming aspect of geography as it shows the effects on all aspects of earth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by airabree
I'm reading "Six degrees" by Mark Lynas which focuses on the effects small increases in temperature could have globally, quite a good read if you're interested in the global warming aspect of geography as it shows the effects on all aspects of earth

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant book! Are you enjoying it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by daisystones
Brilliant book! Are you enjoying it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's great it's so relevance to my geography course as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was considering subscribing to the Climate Change and/or geosciences edition of the academic journal nature its £25 for a years subscription on the iPad it comes out weekly.

Would anyone recommend/advise me to take out a subscription. Are there any other academic journals for geography that are worth reading ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Luketreherne
I was considering subscribing to the Climate Change and/or geosciences edition of the academic journal nature its £25 for a years subscription on the iPad it comes out weekly.

Would anyone recommend/advise me to take out a subscription. Are there any other academic journals for geography that are worth reading ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That price doesn't sound bad, if you think the articles will be of an appropriate level - I know I've tried to read some Nature stuff and it goes right over my head. :rolleyes:

Just some general ideas for everyone: becoming a member of the Royal Geographical Society (RGS-IBG) might be a good idea - especially if you live in/around London, as you can attend their Monday night lectures. They do have regional events too though. Best of all is their monthly magazine and access to the Transactions of British Geographers journal. :smile:
Thanks for the advise , I think I might pay £3 for a month for nature after that I will see how that goes and then make a informed decision. What sources did you choose for your wider reading ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Luketreherne
Thanks for the advise , I think I might pay £3 for a month for nature after that I will see how that goes and then make a informed decision. What sources did you choose for your wider reading ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like a plan!

Not very exciting... I basically kept up with the news (for about a year I tried to read every story in the Guardian environment column. :colondollar:) which is not very difficult - have a good page as your internet home page e.g. the BBC or a good newspaper, and you're good to go!

I read two books, one human-based (it was more a sociology/politics book really, but I found a lot of links with my A-level stuff!) and one physical-based, neither very academic. Don't believe those people who say you need to read 26 books over the summer - all well and good if you want to, but it's not necessary!

I'm guessing you're thinking of applying for Geography/have already? :smile:
Yes I want to apply for geography for entry in 2015. I plan to apply for BA rather than BSc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending