The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2920
I just hope, with the Capaldi's doctor Moffat fixes everything and the stories are even more interesting and aaah! I just loved the thirty seconds of Capaldi in action. Soo excited but I cannot wait this long!
Original post by Mr.Messy
I still don't understand the Dalek's hiding inside other things thing Moffat's got going on (I think its a Moffat thing anyway). The first time it happened in Asylum of the Daleks, everyone hated it. Why would you go back to that?

What the **** anyway, Dalek stalks out of foreheads?! Come on bro. :shakecane:

And the fact that the woman could overpower it anyway, what the hell does that even mean? The whole episode just seemed so poorly written and the cameo of Capaldi was so similar to Tennant and Smith's portrayal of the Doctor, I hope he takes it down a more darker route! If not, like someone else said, cast David Morrisey as the next Doctor!
Original post by Lucy96
Glad I'm not the only one haha! :colondollar: though I even had tears in my eyes when it first showed him really old and he couldn't pull the cracker :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same!! I lost it at that bit :colondollar:
Original post by Cheese_Monster
And the fact that the woman could overpower it anyway, what the hell does that even mean? The whole episode just seemed so poorly written and the cameo of Capaldi was so similar to Tennant and Smith's portrayal of the Doctor, I hope he takes it down a more darker route! If not, like someone else said, cast David Morrisey as the next Doctor!

I will definitely miss the quirkiness Matt brought into the role. But I'm sure Capaldi won't be like that. A brooding, dark, swearing Malcom Tucker type wouldn't be amiss right now. :rofl:

:colone:
Original post by EierVonSatan
That was the doctor inside the Teselecta. not the doctor himself :yep:

So the Teselecta can copy abilities as well as appearance? :holmes:

I thought the Teselecta Doctor only happened in episode 12 after Eleven decided to change history by asking them for a favour lol. The Doctor that started to regenerate in ep 1 was the real Doctor albeit a couple hundred years older than usual though, as far as I know.
"You don't need a time machine to use iPlayer." Subtle BBC advertising there Moffat.
Also.."KIDNEYS!" :lol:
Reply 2926
I was wholeheartedly disappointed with this evenings Christmas special. Too many plot points squeezed into an hour, and very few truly explained. It kept switching from point to point faster than even a hardcore fan could follow - Matt Smith deserved a better send off, to be honest. I'm not trying to belittle those who enjoyed it, as I'm sure there were many, but I did not enjoy it overall, and going by social media, I'm not unique by any means. The last five minutes whilst

Spoiler

was a nice touch, but it was rather tacky in its execution.

However, I am glad

Spoiler

, which should be very interesting. He is a brilliant actor - as Smith is - but I hope Capaldi isn't crippled by the haphazard writing by Moffat, like Eleven (Twelve) was. Either Moffat needs to sort his writing out and stop over complicating things, or he needs to go, I'm afraid.
I loved it a definite 10/10 :smile:
It was sad seeing Matt go ;(
But I'm looking forward to Capaldi :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So the cracks in the fabric of reality was Gallifrey from the bubble universe in the 50th all along. Who would have guessed Moffat was planning this from Season 5? Guy sure does love long and winding story arcs.. :tongue:

Does make sense to see all enemies lined up to try and destroy them at Trenzalore though, even if I hate episodes with a medley of villains together. But a bit annoying how pretty much ALL of them knew all along since The Eleventh Hour/Pandorica Opens yet he didn't find out till now.

I do wonder what will happen to that story now though. Is it firmly closed? The Doctor said if he answered the question then they would know that they are knocking on the door of the correct universe and enter. So with Clara essentially proving it was him, they should know he was the Doctor anyway? Why did they seem to just disappear then, because if they were able to send down regen energy, surely they could come through as well? :eyeball:
So the cracks in the fabric of reality was Gallifrey from the bubble universe in the 50th all along. Who would have guessed Moffat was planning this from Season 5? Guy sure does love long and winding story arcs.. :tongue:

Does make sense to see all enemies lined up to try and destroy them at Trenzalore though, even if I hate episodes with a medley of villains together. But a bit annoying how pretty much ALL of them knew all along since The Eleventh Hour/Pandorica Opens yet he didn't find out till now.

I do wonder what will happen to that story now though. Is it firmly closed? The Doctor said if he answered the question then they would know that they are knocking on the door of the correct universe and enter. So with Clara essentially proving it was him, they should know he was the Doctor anyway? Why did they seem to just disappear then, because if they were able to send down regen energy, surely they could come through as well? :eyeball:

My thinking is that the Time Lords realised that there was a war on the other side and thought it would be better to close the gap and find another way to enter the universe.
Great episode, excellent writing as usual from Moffat. If you couldn't keep up you just suck.
I feel like it was an an overall average episode with excellence punctuated throughout. Every emotional scene really hit me; the Doctor being the defender of Christmas was great; and I always love a bit of sexual tension b/w the Doctor and some random high-ranking female.

Peter Capaldi. <3
Bit meh. Wondering if I'm just getting bored of DW (or at leas the current writing of DW). Felt like it was trying to squeeze too many things in at once and just urgh.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Bit meh. Wondering if I'm just getting bored of DW (or at leas the current writing of DW). Felt like it was trying to squeeze too many things in at once and just urgh.

Yeah I suppose that's what happens when you leave story elements unresolved for years and have one episode to tie everything together in. Its Moffat's own fault really (ideas too grand/poor story resolutions), and I do feel that his writing has been below par. He's a brilliant writer when he wants to be (just look at Sherlock, and some of his previous non-showrunner Who eps) but ever since he's taken over, I feel as though every story is about an 'end of the world as we know it' scenario. He needs to chill down and scale back the proportions of his stories.

I love all your animal gifs. :moon:
Reply 2934
Yeah I suppose that's what happens when you leave story elements unresolved for years and have one episode to tie everything together in. Its Moffat's own fault really (ideas too grand/poor story resolutions), and I do feel that his writing has been below par. He's a brilliant writer when he wants to be (just look at Sherlock, and some of his previous non-showrunner Who eps) but ever since he's taken over, I feel as though every story is about an 'end of the world as we know it' scenario. He needs to chill down and scale back the proportions of his stories.

I love all your animal gifs. :moon:

:frown: *cries* why has Russel T David disappeared?
First time Doctor Who has ever made me cry. The Amy Pond scene :frown:
Overall episode was average enough. Matt Smith wasn't my favourite, so wasn't too bad to see him leave on a bit of a bum note.

One thing that did gripe me though - Clara and the Doctor land on Trenzalore. Truth field in effect. Clara pretty much immediately admits she went with the Doctor because she fancied him.

Moffat, do you absolutely have to do that? Really?

That being said, CAPALDI. So excited for that. His first 20 seconds looked great.
Original post by pinkpenguin

One thing that did gripe me though - Clara and the Doctor land on Trenzalore. Truth field in effect. Clara pretty much immediately admits she went with the Doctor because she fancied him.

Moffat, do you absolutely have to do that? Really?

Completely agree - would be nice to have a companion with something else to them besides wanting to get into the doctors pants - as far as I remember since the reboot only Donna & Rory haven't had a crush on their Doctor.
Not sure if I've missed something, but I don't feel that the general story arc starting from the first matt smith episode has been properly explained yet. Was it ever explained why the tardis exploded in the first series for example?
Reply 2939
Original post by james22
Not sure if I've missed something, but I don't feel that the general story arc starting from the first matt smith episode has been properly explained yet. Was it ever explained why the tardis exploded in the first series for example?

Nope, they just the Kovarian section blew it up. Not how, which is a bit important I feel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending