The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Great episode not as good as the 50th but fantastic great to see the Daleks confirmed as the number 1 monsters of the universe and I knew the Doctor was a fool to save the Timelords.I am loving this new fast pace that has been developing in the last 2 episodes which produces great Doctor Who episodes it was probably the 2nd best episode ever or certainly up there behind the 50th.
The episode was quite good. Nice to see the Doctor doing what he does best - beating monsters and protecting people time and time again.

I'm very displeased at the absence of River. They had Amy, but not his wife?

Also, Dancing at the Singing towers of Darillium?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPVZEQQUnu8

I guess it's not Matt Smith who takes her there last then, but it would have been nice if it was given that he's her husband...
(edited 10 years ago)
ok maybe im missing something blindingly obvious here but

the doctor is on trenzalore for centuries, all the other aliens are there to try and kill him as hes the only one who can bring the time lords back, this no one wants as it will start the time war all over again - yet the doctor at no point tries to bring back the time lords

so why keep attacking Christmas/Trenzalore then, hes not going to bring them back so why constantly keep fighting the doctor and the silence?
Reply 2943
That was pretty rubbish. Can't believe some people actually liked it.
Not as good as the 50th, a little disappointed though. However, I will miss Matt Smith, he was fantastic as the Doctor :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
in the Wedding of River Song Dorium says "on the fields of Trenzalore, at the Fall of the Eleventh, when no creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked. A question that must never ever be answered: Doctor who?" the key part is the fail to answer part which is what the doctor does all episode.This is a major plothole Moffat but I still loved the episode.
Original post by silverbolt
ok maybe im missing something blindingly obvious here but

the doctor is on trenzalore for centuries, all the other aliens are there to try and kill him as hes the only one who can bring the time lords back, this no one wants as it will start the time war all over again - yet the doctor at no point tries to bring back the time lords

so why keep attacking Christmas/Trenzalore then, hes not going to bring them back so why constantly keep fighting the doctor and the silence?

To eliminate even the slightest possibility of the Timelords coming back because they are so dangerous.Think about this If a person could bring a large evil army back from the dead but refrained from doing so I bet the FBI would dispose of the small risk this person represents humans would act in exactly the same way as far as I'm concerned.
Oh man all them feelings . :cry2:
I don't know what to feel about the episode - it just seemed like any other and I feel bad that Matt didn't really get a proper send off as it wasn't as emotional as all the others have been. I'm really excited for Capaldi though and can't wait to see him in action.
Also the reverberations thing kinda pissed me off cos in 'The Impossible Astronaut' 11 begins regenerating - so he can regenerate and he also uses regeneration energy in "The Angels Take Manhattan" to mend River, so I thought he still had some energy left.

MusicIsMyPoison
Original post by Mr.Messy
Yeah I suppose that's what happens when you leave story elements unresolved for years and have one episode to tie everything together in. Its Moffat's own fault really (ideas too grand/poor story resolutions), and I do feel that his writing has been below par. He's a brilliant writer when he wants to be (just look at Sherlock, and some of his previous non-showrunner Who eps) but ever since he's taken over, I feel as though every story is about an 'end of the world as we know it' scenario. He needs to chill down and scale back the proportions of his stories.

I love all your animal gifs. :moon:

Indeed, I think Moffat was great on individual episodes but doesn't do overarching plots well :nah: Ah well, shall see how he goes writing wise in next series then if still not enjoying it, may give up.
I actually thought that was the most emotional regeneration in my opinion. When Amy came out it was just the dagger... :sad:
Original post by Malevolent
I actually thought that was the most emotional regeneration in my opinion. When Amy came out it was just the dagger... :sad:

suppppppp

moar gifs
Oh man all them feelings . :cry2:

What did you think of it, Malevolent? I liked it, I'm surprised others didn't! :s-smilie:
Original post by Maid Marian
What did you think of it, Malevolent? I liked it, I'm surprised others didn't! :s-smilie:

I thought it was better than okay not great but it was still fine! :tongue:
I thought it was better than okay not great but it was still fine! :tongue:

Oh okay! :biggrin: I enjoyed it myself! I think the Doctor should have regenerated when he was in the tower, though. The face change thing was a bit of an anticlimax.
Oh okay! :biggrin: I enjoyed it myself! I think the Doctor should have regenerated when he was in the tower, though. The face change thing was a bit of an anticlimax.

I think as the cycle was reset his regeneration was quick and too the point. The further into his cycle the longer it takes ?
Reply 2956
I thought as an episode taken on its own, it was disappointing. But, as an episode taken in context, so seen after the 50th which was EPIC and tying together so many loose ends, it was immaculate. So many things accomplished plausibly in one hour that I couldn't even be mad. That was really impressive, and then I felt sad about Smit dying. Though I watched all of Tennant, I didn't really like his episodes compared to Smiths who was impeccable in my opinion. Smith was my doctor and I felt a bit lonely last night. Lol
I was wondering since the doctor didn't die at trenzalor what happened to him and clara's visit there in the name of the doctor? I mean it couldn't exist if he is still alive right?
Original post by Sapphire123
I was wondering since the doctor didn't die at trenzalor what happened to him and clara's visit there in the name of the doctor? I mean it couldn't exist if he is still alive right?

Hmm. Did the Doctor not die at Trenzalore? I thought that's what the old age thing was about.

And then, in TNOTD, he and Clara visited Trenzalore AFTER the big battle OF TTOTD had taken place.
Hmm. Did the Doctor not die at Trenzalore? I thought that's what the old age thing was about.

And then, in TNOTD, he and Clara visited Trenzalore AFTER the big battle OF TTOTD had taken place.

He didn't die he regenerated into Peter capaldi

Quick Reply