The Student Room Group

Is this chronic fatigue?

Ok so christmas day I woke up about 10am (Ive currently got a nocturnal sleeping pattern) but by 11.30 I didn't feel well, was absolutely knackered, felt all heavy and very sluggish. I had to go back to bed. I woke up again at 2pm feeling a bit better but still not right. I went to a family meal and wasnt really able to do anything but sit there standing up made me feel a bit blurry, exhausted and I got stomach ache (bit like ibs). I had to be dropped off at home at 8pm and have just been to bed and woke up but Im very sluggish, my eyes feel tired etc. I don't know what it is but its not right, could it be symptoms of pms or chronic fatigue?
Have you been eating properly and looking after yourself generally?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by qwertyking
Have you been eating properly and looking after yourself generally?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yea I eat properly and exercise a lot. Although I have had an odd sleeping pattern for ages being awake at night sleeping during the day. But unless im working 9 to 5 I get like this Ive tried correcting it but its hard with shift work. It kind of feels like the flu, muscle aches and stomach ache but I dont think it is as I dont have a runny nose/congestion. Its just extreme fatigue :/
Reply 3
It's just the result of a messed up sleeping pattern.

You're not getting a good night's sleep, you're going down for a nap for a few hours now and then (and everyone knows how lousy you feel when you first wake up from a nap.) Your body is probably just craving a decent sleep.

Go back to bed now, whether you can sleep or not, and wake up at a normal time. Keep yourself awake, eat right, and then go to bed early tomorrow night so you can have a long rest. (But not so early you're waking up at 4am.)
If your sleeping pattern is messed up, then that can throw everything off and make you feel terrible - I know that from personal experience! You shouldn't try to diagnose something based on one incident. If you're really worried, then see your GP.

Stop stressing for the time being though, as that'll make you feel worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by civilstudent
yea I eat properly and exercise a lot. Although I have had an odd sleeping pattern for ages being awake at night sleeping during the day. But unless im working 9 to 5 I get like this Ive tried correcting it but its hard with shift work. It kind of feels like the flu, muscle aches and stomach ache but I dont think it is as I dont have a runny nose/congestion. Its just extreme fatigue :/

If you had chronic fatigue, you would not be able to do the stuff in bold.

Unfortunately with your sleeping pattern + shift work, anybody would feel like hell. Our bodies are not designed to live that kind of lifestyle.
Reply 6
Original post by Thorax
If you had chronic fatigue, you would not be able to do the stuff in bold.

Unfortunately with your sleeping pattern + shift work, anybody would feel like hell. Our bodies are not designed to live that kind of lifestyle.

Ive not done the stuff in bold for over a week, Ive barely been out of bed lol. I know I was thinking of quitting shift work/nursing for a 9 till 5 job its just not healthy.
Reply 7
Original post by civilstudent
Ok so christmas day I woke up about 10am (Ive currently got a nocturnal sleeping pattern) but by 11.30 I didn't feel well, was absolutely knackered, felt all heavy and very sluggish. I had to go back to bed. I woke up again at 2pm feeling a bit better but still not right. I went to a family meal and wasnt really able to do anything but sit there standing up made me feel a bit blurry, exhausted and I got stomach ache (bit like ibs). I had to be dropped off at home at 8pm and have just been to bed and woke up but Im very sluggish, my eyes feel tired etc. I don't know what it is but its not right, could it be symptoms of pms or chronic fatigue?

It is not chronic fatigue. If you did you would have suffered from extreme fatigue where you can hardly get out of bed for most days. This has to have been for at least 3 months for a diagnosis to even be considered as chronic means long term.

It is more likely you are suffering from an acute illness, if it continues see your gp

Posted from TSR Mobile
you're maybe just fighting off a virus or something?

but shift work and a dodgy sleep pattern will throw your whole body out of whack, some people cope better than others and maybe your body just can't... if you've barely been out of bed for a week then that will execebate the symptoms you're experiencing, if I take a couple of lazy days and don't do anything I get exhausted and dizzy and feel awful cos if you sleep all the time you also wont get any good quality sleep
As someone who has been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome myself after having suffered the symptoms for several years (and being slapped with the depression label :rolleyes: ), tbh I'd say no judging by what you've written in your posts here. Chronic of course denotes an ongoing condition, i.e. not something that's just developed over the last week. I noticed you said you work full time on shifts and you're looking to hop into 9-5 nursing? Tbh most CFS sufferers, realistically, simply could not manage either of these things consistently.

It sounds like your shift work and poor sleeping patterns are catching up with you, possibly with the combination of having caught some winter germs that are always going around and making people feel unwell over the festive season.

If you walked into your GP's and said you've been feeling unwell for a week and fear it might be CFS the doctor will probably have to try pretty hard to hold back laughter haha, but if you keep feeling like this then by all means go to your GP and just tell them how you've been feeling.
Reply 10
I think one should have more rest.

Quick Reply

Latest