The Student Room Group

Extended Project for Physics

Hi! It's my first thread so apologies if its in the wrong place:colondollar:

I'm doing AS right now, art, maths, physics and psychology (weird combination I know) but I'm taking EP up for extra points for uni as I want to take Physics to a degree level.
I know its late but I'm gathering ideas so I can work on it in the summer.

So, I'm asking what could I do on it? It's OCR and I was thinking to do it on;
-Could we go 'Back to the Future'?- 'Time travelling through space, is it possible?')- Time travel
-Are we alone in this universe?
-What's inside a Black Hole?

But time travel is slightly limited and it has already been done.

Aliens too, I don't know what I could write into it, could I take real life sightings, personal stories, secondary images, what physicists say, from religious points of view and scientific and so on..

Black holes on the other hand, looks very interesting I'd love to do this but I really don't what I could say, just stick to the title and write 5000 words on how dense and huge it is?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Much appreciated, thanks! Y:biggrin:

EDIT: Physics AQA A, completed Unit 1 in AS so far
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wave-particle duality is a good one, I think.
Reply 2
I did mine on 'How far it's possible for manned space travel to the outer planets and beyond' which has a lot of physics in along with some engineering and medicine.
Original post by The_Top_Hat
I did mine on 'How far it's possible for manned space travel to the outer planets and beyond' which has a lot of physics in along with some engineering and medicine.

That sounds cool, what did you include if you don't mind me asking :smile:
Original post by TheBBQ
Wave-particle duality is a good one, I think.

Awesome, what can I write about that topic?
Reply 5
Original post by EverybodyHertz
Awesome, what can I write about that topic?

Have you studied the wave theory of light and the photon theory of light yet?
Original post by TheBBQ
Have you studied the wave theory of light and the photon theory of light yet?

Is it in quantum phenomena? I've only done unit 1 so far AQA AS A if it helps
Reply 7
Is it in quantum phenomena? I've only done unit 1 so far AQA AS A if it helps

You'll have done the photon theory of light then. How light acts as a particle in some cases, such as the photoelectric effect, work function etc

In unit 2 you will see how light acts as a wave through diffraction gratings, constructive and destructive interference, and more.

This is what is called wave-particle duality, where something (in this example, light) exhibits behaviour of both particle nature and wave nature.

If you like it, then you should read a little bit ahead in unit 2 for a few days and go on from there :smile:

EDIT: I also love your username :biggrin:
Original post by TheBBQ
You'll have done the photon theory of light then. How light acts as a particle in some cases, such as the photoelectric effect, work function etc

In unit 2 you will see how light acts as a wave through diffraction gratings, constructive and destructive interference, and more.

This is what is called wave-particle duality, where something (in this example, light) exhibits behaviour of both particle nature and wave nature.

If you like it, then you should read a little bit ahead in unit 2 for a few days and go on from there :smile:

EDIT: I also love your username :biggrin:

Yep! Learnt that but what can I say about it? I want to make my topic interesting and as everyone is fascinated by space, I don't want to bore the people I give the presentation to about particles if they don't understand. They probably don't even know what a particle is.

Thanks! I'm craving for a BBQ thanks to your name!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Yep! Learnt that but what can I say about it? I want to make my topic interesting and as everyone is fascinated by space, I don't want to bore the people I give the presentation to about particles if they don't understand. They probably don't even know what a particle is.

Thanks! I'm craving for a BBQ thanks to your name:wink:

Hmm have a go at talking about how we aren't exactly sure what light is, even though it is absolutely everywhere around and we absolutely need it to do pretty much everything. We can observe so many of it's effects but at the end of the day we can't use a single model to explain it's nature.
Original post by TheBBQ
Hmm have a go at talking about how we aren't exactly sure what light is, even though it is absolutely everywhere around and we absolutely need it to do pretty much everything. We can observe so many of it's effects but at the end of the day we can't use a single model to explain it's nature.

Perfect, thanks!

What about black holes? I'm fascinated by them, I can write what they are how they're formed, that's about it though
Reply 11
That sounds cool, what did you include if you don't mind me asking :smile:

Materials of the spacecraft, fuel queries, physcology, gravity, crew queries, physiology, speeds/momentum/turning circles, g-forces and much more.
Reply 12
Perfect, thanks!

What about black holes? I'm fascinated by them, I can write what they are how they're formed, that's about it though

I don't know much about them either, but there is a documentary about Stephen Hawking's life where they talk about his life and his work. A fair amount of it is on blackholes and how he discovered them and such. Might be worth checking it out but I don't remember the name of it.
Thank you all for helping me and for your replies!
I don't do Physics but just a note- science pursuers tend to want to explain/analyse some aspect they're interested in and forget to form a question that is argumentative. IE to what extent is this .... Or should there be ... Etc

It will help you get better marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by colourpurple
I don't do Physics but just a note- science pursuers tend to want to explain/analyse some aspect they're interested in and forget to form a question that is argumentative. IE to what extent is this .... Or should there be ... Etc

It will help you get better marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please do elaborate :h:
Please do elaborate :h:

I dropped Physics a while ago so forgive my [lack of] subject- specific knowledge.

What I mean is, when people do Science-based EPQ's, their questions are very narrow. "What is so .... about black holes?" or "Are there any more discoveries to be made in space?" ie you can't form a proper argument with such questions.

"To what extent are black holes *enter descriptive information about them* .."- ie you can argue both sides - it IS *blah* to a great / little extent, and then come down to a conclusion that you make of your own.

I do hope that's clearer :colondollar:
Original post by colourpurple
I dropped Physics a while ago so forgive my [lack of] subject- specific knowledge.

What I mean is, when people do Science-based EPQ's, their questions are very narrow. "What is so .... about black holes?" or "Are there any more discoveries to be made in space?" ie you can't form a proper argument with such questions.

"To what extent are black holes *enter descriptive information about them* .."- ie you can argue both sides - it IS *blah* to a great / little extent, and then come down to a conclusion that you make of your own.

I do hope that's clearer :colondollar:

Thank you!:biggrin:
It's a great idea, how about "To what extent are black holes... black/empty/dense/?

To what extent are the astronomically observed black hole responsible for the (creation [should I include this]) or destruction of the universe?

To what extent... ...a danger but a phenomenon to the universe?

To what extent do black holes play a threat to mankind?

Is the black hole a chimera? (Chimera meaning absurd and impossible to logically exist but it does)

I'm guessing these have already been proved or the answer can be logically sought but what do you think?

"What's on the other side... of a Black Hole?" Or "Somewhere, on the other side of nowhere"
The answers to these questions are going to be the same, the "I don't really know and physicist are trying to find out" and you can't really argue even though there's a large amount of logic, findings and math, a new question most definitely emerged
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank you!:biggrin:
It's a great idea, how about "To what extent are black holes... black/empty/dense/?

To what extent are the astronomically observed black hole responsible for the (creation [should I include this]) or destruction of the universe?

To what extent... ...a danger but a phenomenon to the universe?

To what extent do black holes play a threat to mankind?

Is the black hole a chimera? (Chimera meaning absurd and impossible to logically exist but it does)

I'm guessing these have already been proved or the answer can be logically sought but what do you think?

"What's on the other side... of a Black Hole?" Or "Somewhere, on the other side of nowhere"
The answers to these questions are going to be the same, the "I don't really know and physicist are trying to find out" and you can't really argue even though there's a large amount of logic, findings and math, a new question most definitely emerged

The first few are great :smile: I'm not so sure about the "what's on the other side.." question because "What" questions lead to descriptive answers not analytical so will be of a lower standard for EPQ :frown:

Good luck though!

PS try and set yourself a question where you can give your own opinion rather than just that nothing's been concluded yet/other scientists are trying to find the answer.
To what extent is it a danger question is my favourite.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"To what extent are the astronomically observed 'Black Hole' a danger but a phenomenon to the universe?"

I'd start by the background of who, what, why, when, where and how etc
The danger would be the escape velocity and the threat to mankind- meaning planets and all
The phenomenon would be the quasars and the formation of galaxies
And as for the conclusion, I'll figure it out as I'm going along.

Thank you for posting and thanks for all your help and ideas, they were all fantastic!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest