The Student Room Group

I can study abroad for one semester - WHERE?!

I have the chance to spend my first semester of next year (Year 2) abroad in countries such a Germany, Holland, USA, Canada, Australia.

I'm studying Accounting and Finance at Surrey.

Where would you recommend?

Also, how much more expensive would USA, Canada or Australia be compared to what I would pay in England.

Any other comments are warmly welcomed, thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by HrryWJns
I have the chance to spend my first semester of next year (Year 2) abroad in countries such a Germany, Holland, USA, Canada, Australia.

I'm studying Accounting and Finance at Surrey.

Where would you recommend?

Also, how much more expensive would USA, Canada or Australia be compared to what I would pay in England.

Any other comments are warmly welcomed, thanks in advance.

What cities?
Reply 2
Original post by tehforum
What cities?

Mannheim, Germany
Amsterdam, Holland
Melbourne or Sydney, Australia
Ontario, Canada

Just re-read the booklet and I'm mistaken about USA, as it is not available for my course!
Reply 3
Mannheim, Germany
Amsterdam, Holland
Ontario, Canada

Just re-read the booklet and I'm mistaken about USA, as it is not available for my course!

Australia, without a doubt.
Reply 4
Australia or Canada. At least try and get out of Europe. I so wish my course would let me go abroad!
I'd choose Sydney - though you'll have to get a PT job, as living costs are substantially higher, but wages are wayyy higher.
Reply 6
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'd choose Sydney - though you'll have to get a PT job, as living costs are substantially higher, but wages are wayyy higher.

Exactly, how would I guarantee that I would gets job... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly, how would I guarantee that I would gets job... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Their economy is a lot more buoyant than ours, and never actually went into recession. When I was out there (2011) I was able to find waitressing jobs paying $18-20ph + tips without too much difficulty. You do still have to look - jobs won't come and find you - but they are much more abundant than the UK if you have some form of experience.
Reply 8
Mannheim, Germany
Amsterdam, Holland
Ontario, Canada

Where in Ontario would you be?

You do realize that Ontario is a province (8 times the size of England!) and not a city, so your study abroad experience would depend massively depending on where you are; e.g. a semester abroad in Toronto (the 4th largest city in North America) would be incredibly different to a semester in London, Thunder Bay, Waterloo, etc. (smaller towns)

Quick Reply

Latest