The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

English & white - not good if you live in London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a123a
Kind of a naive comment. Why don't you live in (the poorer parts of) China and India and see why the come to places like the UK.

Everything is not labelled racist.

Imo it's true that there's a lot of hidden racism (not just to "non-white people"), but I would rather have someone confront me with it so I could rebel than to have it locked-up inside of them so they treat me with lies.

BS.

Stop speaking for us Chinese people. China is 10 x a better place than India that is truth.

Also most mainland Chinese are NOT immigrants, they are mostly students whereas your Indian brethren ARE mostly immigrants, as they are too poor to afford exorbitant fees.
Reply 341
Original post by *Dreaming*
Ok well I was not referring to what you think, I was merely saying it would be strange to see only a few Chinese people in Beijing, the same way it would be odd to see only a few white people in London. It is not just me that thinks this- I know many people who live abroad and they say they don't LIKE coming to London and seeing what they see at home. Tourists come to London expecting to see English life.

By no accounts do I 'not like white people'. And no one can blame people for wanting a better life, however we (the UK) cannot save the world. It is impossible and would destroy the country if we let in everyone who is in dire straits.

And it is not really a question of race. SOME people wish to erode British culture and replace it with their own. You would not get away with this in most countries in the world.

If white people become a minority, it won't be England anymore. It's already becoming that way, what with 'winter lights', with fear of offending other cultures. I know that many people from these other cultures also oppose this PC nonsense, and there are many people who integrate. But it would be naïve to not see how in some aspects,if you are born and bred in the UK, with British ancestors, you are worse off in many ways. Everyone elses beliefs matter, except the white Englishman/woman.

I understand what you mean. But don't think like that; that English people's beliefs don't matter. They do matter, and the majority of non white people I know, including myself, would agree to that. If you respect your own decision and the decisions taken my others I don't think any harm will be done.
Reply 342
Original post by Zenomorph
BS.

Stop speaking for us Chinese people. China is 10 x a better place than India that is truth.

Also most mainland Chinese are NOT immigrants, they are mostly students whereas your Indian brethren ARE mostly immigrants, as they are too poor to afford exorbitant fees.

So there are no poor places in China? So there are no Chinese people who come to search for a better life in a different country? I didn't say China was worse, I said China and India because the person I was replying to mentioned them.
Original post by a123a
So there are no poor places in China? So there are no Chinese people who come to search for a better life in a different country? I didn't say China was worse, I said China and India because the person I was replying to mentioned them.

You are Indian :

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2507431&page=3&p=45060480&highlight=#post45060480
Reply 345
Original post by Parx
I find London to be a bit of an enigma. On one hand I love how big it is, the anonymity of it. The endless things to do and places to see. To an EXTENT, the cultural aspects and meeting people from different backgrounds etc But having lived abroad in my life I've never had a problem meeting people from other backgrounds. I've known people from all over the world from a young age as I lived abroad.

But then I think to myself how it's difficult to fit in as a white working class English guy sometimes. Honestly, unless you mix in middle class circles you simply don't get the chance to meet groups of white people. The polarisation of rich/poor means you have middle class enclaves mixed in with the poverty, council estate type of areas.

I've just grown tired of not being able to meet hardly any white english people at all. It seems the only way to meet them is by joining a sports team. But I'm tired of going to school or college or work and being a 10% minority. In my last 2 jobs there were hardly any white english people, and these are big retail companies. At school literally about 90% of the school was just catering for ethnic children and unless you go to a good/bordering middle class/bordering private school - it is always like that.

If you go into places like Subway and so on, you'll see an Asian manager and 9/10 it's full of Asian workers. I've seen this countless of times in places like Sainsbury's and Poundland etc They'll literally just employ Asians and some Poles.

It's really affected my social life and my chances with girls. Let's consider that I only really like white girls in general, and I don't have any middle class friends or circles - therefore it's very very hard to meet white english girls who aren't ghetto. The people outside of London are very different to the types in London. You only have to compare the types of white people in unis outside of London, compared to the white people in London unis to be able to see the social differences between them. To the point where having lived both in and inside of London, I can look at a group of people and tell whether or not they are from London. The people outside of London will be more kind of traditionally English.

I don't see why I should have to move out of London to meet white people. Also I've been moved around in my life so much that I just want to settle now.

I just think it's a big shame. I'm also pissed off at the idea that black/asian people think they can call white people like myself racist just because we want to meet some of our own. I mean, we are now a minority according to the latest census figures. Why shouldn't we meet some of our own? Asians and black people congregate together in their own communities and neighbourhoods and jobs and so on, why shouldn't we? It's like you have a group of 20 people with 2 white people - that is multiculturalism. Everything is fine and dandy. Have 18 white people and that group is perceived to be potentially racist by other ethnic minorities.

Sadly, I know I'm not the only white person thinking this exact same thing. Noone really wants to talk about it in fear of accusations, but I know that many white English people feel the same. White English people will become extinct certainly in London within about 15 years.

I'll go into work tomorrow and meet my 15 odd work colleagues. I'm the only English person. They're a great bunch and we have a laugh. But it's alienating being in England and being the only white English person knocking about. You start to lose your identity. I mean it's only natural. If a black or asian guy/girl was surrounded by 14 white people at work in Pakistan or Nigeria how would they feel?

EDIT: OH LOOK 66 LIKES - DOES THAT MEAN WE ARE ALL RACIST?!

THE TRUTH HURTS!

Its the working class that are most affected and that's where the BNP and EDL are on the rise. Rich areas don't have getto pakistani muslims living there, the rich are not affected.
this is what neoliberal politics has done, and if you speak against it and try to protect your own culture, you're automatically labelled as a racist. in some 15-20 years, whites will be a minority in europe in general.
Reply 347
Original post by Parx
I find London to be a bit of an enigma. On one hand I love how big it is, the anonymity of it. The endless things to do and places to see. To an EXTENT, the cultural aspects and meeting people from different backgrounds etc But having lived abroad in my life I've never had a problem meeting people from other backgrounds. I've known people from all over the world from a young age as I lived abroad.

But then I think to myself how it's difficult to fit in as a white working class English guy sometimes. Honestly, unless you mix in middle class circles you simply don't get the chance to meet groups of white people. The polarisation of rich/poor means you have middle class enclaves mixed in with the poverty, council estate type of areas.

I've just grown tired of not being able to meet hardly any white english people at all. It seems the only way to meet them is by joining a sports team. But I'm tired of going to school or college or work and being a 10% minority. In my last 2 jobs there were hardly any white english people, and these are big retail companies. At school literally about 90% of the school was just catering for ethnic children and unless you go to a good/bordering middle class/bordering private school - it is always like that.

If you go into places like Subway and so on, you'll see an Asian manager and 9/10 it's full of Asian workers. I've seen this countless of times in places like Sainsbury's and Poundland etc They'll literally just employ Asians and some Poles.

It's really affected my social life and my chances with girls. Let's consider that I only really like white girls in general, and I don't have any middle class friends or circles - therefore it's very very hard to meet white english girls who aren't ghetto. The people outside of London are very different to the types in London. You only have to compare the types of white people in unis outside of London, compared to the white people in London unis to be able to see the social differences between them. To the point where having lived both in and inside of London, I can look at a group of people and tell whether or not they are from London. The people outside of London will be more kind of traditionally English.

I don't see why I should have to move out of London to meet white people. Also I've been moved around in my life so much that I just want to settle now.

I just think it's a big shame. I'm also pissed off at the idea that black/asian people think they can call white people like myself racist just because we want to meet some of our own. I mean, we are now a minority according to the latest census figures. Why shouldn't we meet some of our own? Asians and black people congregate together in their own communities and neighbourhoods and jobs and so on, why shouldn't we? It's like you have a group of 20 people with 2 white people - that is multiculturalism. Everything is fine and dandy. Have 18 white people and that group is perceived to be potentially racist by other ethnic minorities.

Sadly, I know I'm not the only white person thinking this exact same thing. Noone really wants to talk about it in fear of accusations, but I know that many white English people feel the same. White English people will become extinct certainly in London within about 15 years.

I'll go into work tomorrow and meet my 15 odd work colleagues. I'm the only English person. They're a great bunch and we have a laugh. But it's alienating being in England and being the only white English person knocking about. You start to lose your identity. I mean it's only natural. If a black or asian guy/girl was surrounded by 14 white people at work in Pakistan or Nigeria how would they feel?

THE TRUTH HURTS!

Tell the politicians to stop the immigration.
Reply 348
Original post by Parx

THE TRUTH HURTS!

The muslim police will be down your neck for wearing a mini-skirt or if you're a gay man dressed in womens wear.
Reply 349
You've got too much thigh showing above the knee, it's not halal / haram or legal under Sharia law.
Original post by a123a
So?:confused:

So you 're biased admit it
Reply 351
So you 're biased admit it

About what? I said China is not worse than India, so I'm biased as I'm Indian?:confused:
You can learn how to fit in with different cultures by mixing with them.
Reply 353
BS.

You said you are anglo-indian here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2414396&page=5&p=43867601&highlight=#post43867601
Reply 354
Original post by a123a
About what? I said China is not worse than India, so I'm biased as I'm Indian?:confused:

He's indian in this post
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2414396&page=5&p=43867601&highlight=#post43867601
Original post by Dragonfly07
You can learn how to fit in with different cultures by mixing with them.

You clearly didn't read the person's post did you?

To the OP, I completely agree with you and am in a similar situation. Don't know what else to say, but you're not alone.
Reply 357
Reply 358

:rofl: who is this guy?
He said something to me which was irrelevant and is pretending to be Chinese?:confused:
Reply 359
I live about 30 mins travel time outside of London while I'm at uni and I visit frequently and travel through it often. To me it's always felt like it's not really a British city. Not just because of the huge racial and cultural diversity but there's just something alien about it that makes being there feel as if you're abroad. Maybe just because it's a lot different and busier than most other cities. I wouldn't want to live there, though, mainly because it's far too busy but also because I can't see myself fitting in to the whole culture of it. There's also an element of danger to it which makes it seem like a strange place, because the population is so high and places are so busy I kinda feel like more of a number than a person when I'm there and if (with the increased likelihood) something happened to me i would just be another statistic. The many cyclists killed recently on the roads is enough to put me off.
As it's a world capital with a lot of wealth i believe that this is what attracts people to it. But if I were to advise tourists on where to visit for a real taste of Britain, London wouldn't be the first place that came to mind. I'd be more likely to suggest York, Oxford or Cambridge. Even Edinburgh seems more English to me than London.

Latest

Trending

Trending