The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sapphire123
He didn't die he regenerated into Peter capaldi

Well doh. :lol: But the ELEVENTH Doctor *ended* at Trenzalore, that's what I meant. In a way, that is sort of dying ...
I don't get all the hate at all tbh, I loved the episode and I love the show, just looking forward to the new series when it comes; Peter Capaldi should be awesome :biggrin:

the Moffat hate has just been done to death now tbh, yes the show has it's flaws, so does like every show on TV, there is far, far worse **** on telly for people to bash as well, I mean Mrs Browns Boys was apparently the most watched show on xmas day, if any show needs to be bashed into oblivion then that is top of my list for it, it's not even remotely funny, the episode I watched felt like my head was being violated.
The regeneration scene if anyone wants to watch it again
[video="youtube;BehwuPQm16A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BehwuPQm16A[/video]

also 10th Doctor regenerates just for a comparison if you like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVEY5AL5zzk

I just wish Matt-Capaldi was drawn out a tiny bit longer than like 5seconds?
Original post by SciFiRory
I don't get all the hate at all tbh, I loved the episode and I love the show, just looking forward to the new series when it comes; Peter Capaldi should be awesome :biggrin:

the Moffat hate has just been done to death now tbh, yes the show has it's flaws, so does like every show on TV, there is far, far worse **** on telly for people to bash as well, I mean Mrs Browns Boys was apparently the most watched show on xmas day, if any show needs to be bashed into oblivion then that is top of my list for it, it's not even remotely funny, the episode I watched felt like my head was being violated.

I think for me the thing is I watch VERY few TV series, so finding something I previously enjoyed become less enjoyable over the past two series and now not creating much enjoyment at all is sad :sad:
I've just sat bawling my eyes out at the last episode.

Okay, so it was a little rushed and I struggled to keep up in places, but Matt Smith was just fantastic. It made it harder to see him go... And my suspicions about Capaldi have so far been confirmed: dull, dull, dull. He had a good 30 seconds to assert his character, like Smith and Tennant did before him. Capaldi was just.... boring.
Original post by Rascacielos

Okay, so it was a little rushed and I struggled to keep up in places, but Matt Smith was just fantastic. It made it harder to see him go... And my suspicions about Capaldi have so far been confirmed: dull, dull, dull. He had a good 30 seconds to assert his character, like Smith and Tennant did before him. Capaldi was just.... boring.

30 seconds is nothing, seriously give him a chance to actually act. If I judged David Tennant one the first few seconds he had I would have not watched after series 1 :rolleyes:
Original post by JordanS94
30 seconds is nothing, seriously give him a chance to actually act. If I judged David Tennant one the first few seconds he had I would have not watched after series 1 :rolleyes:

He had a chance to act: it was a fair amount of screen time. David Tennant and Matt Smith both managed it, so I don't see why Peter Capaldi shouldn't be expected to. The kidney joke was about as funny as my grandma's socks.

Just my initial thoughts; I'm happy to be proved wrong.
Reply 2967
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I think for me the thing is I watch VERY few TV series, so finding something I previously enjoyed become less enjoyable over the past two series and now not creating much enjoyment at all is sad :sad:

I watch a ridiculous amount of television and it annoys me watching DW only because the potential is there for an amazing show but the execution is always lacking.
Reply 2968

Aww I loved him. His entrance was kinda similar to Tennants!
I think we're all suffering from this a bit:

I was a little disappointed by Capaldi's entry, but I am reserving judgement until we actually see him in action. It's really not fair to judge him based on about 3 lines of dialogue, while he was still wearing the previous Doctor's costume. I hated Smith's entry after Tennant regenerated, but his character took shape properly in the Eleventh Hour. I'm guessing we'll get the same thing with Capaldi - once he gets a chance to develop his own version of the Doctor, then I'll make up my mind whether I like his interpretation or not.
Original post by greeneyedgirl

I agree. The writing is inconsistent, it was excellent in the 50th anniversary, there felt like no attention to detail in this one, as if it was rushed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just watched the repeat on BBC3 ... I thought Clara and 11's last scene was heartbreaking, the music from 'Rings' and everything, it was so sad :bawling:

And I did really, really warm to Clara in this episode. She was much more likeable.
Original post by Feefifofum
I think we're all suffering from this a bit:

I was a little disappointed by Capaldi's entry, but I am reserving judgement until we actually see him in action. It's really not fair to judge him based on about 3 lines of dialogue, while he was still wearing the previous Doctor's costume. I hated Smith's entry after Tennant regenerated, but his character took shape properly in the Eleventh Hour. I'm guessing we'll get the same thing with Capaldi - once he gets a chance to develop his own version of the Doctor, then I'll make up my mind whether I like his interpretation or not.

This isn't what happened with Matt Smith because I thought He was decent in his first scene and was the best doctor ever after the first episode and I wanted David Tennant to leave before The End of Time because although He was good it was time for a change but it was nowhere near time for Matt Smith to go and Matt Smith showed how He had the ability to play the Doctor until He was really old in The Time of the Doctor so We could have had him for 50 years or something.
Original post by Dalek1099
This isn't what happened with Matt Smith because I thought He was decent in his first scene and was the best doctor ever after the first episode and I wanted David Tennant to leave before The End of Time because although He was good it was time for a change but it was nowhere near time for Matt Smith to go and Matt Smith showed how He had the ability to play the Doctor until He was really old in The Time of the Doctor so We could have had him for 50 years or something.

you wouldn't get bored of 50 years of Matt Smith? :rolleyes:

there's a reason we keep getting new Doctors and companions...
He had a chance to act: it was a fair amount of screen time. David Tennant and Matt Smith both managed it, so I don't see why Peter Capaldi shouldn't be expected to. The kidney joke was about as funny as my grandma's socks.

Just my initial thoughts; I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Was there a joke?He said that he has new kidneys and doesn't know what the colour is:confused:I thought that the Doctor shouldn't have just said "Do you know how to fly this thing" because He should have at least said "Ah The Tardis its crashing now I think I need to press these buttons here I think but I'm not quite aure how to fly this thing".I really felt that Peter Capaldi's Doctor just seemed to be a drunk idiot rather than the Doctor.When the other new doctors came in He still felt like the Doctor this one doesn't-It seems as if He is an impostor.
:facepalm:
Original post by Robbie242
you wouldn't get bored of 50 years of Matt Smith? :rolleyes:

there's a reason we keep getting new Doctors and companions...

Its because he actors keep leaving.The actors should be showing more commitment to the show, in other American Sci-Fis the lead characters stay for the full 7 years until the show reaches its climax and would probably have stayed for a lot more years and they have to do double the amount of episodes.

I think the actors can get a bit greedy because most people have to stay in the same job all thier life 9 to 5 in a boring, hard job and the Doctor Who actors claim that it is the best experience ever and then they leave after a couple of years, they should follow on from the inspiration of William Hartnell who would have stayed many more years doing double the amount of episodes if it wasn't for his ill health and Colin Baker who wanted to be in longer than Tom Baker but was sacked.Matt Smith's excuse was pretty lame that He might never stop if He just continued to do one year after another when He has only done 4 years(3 series) nowhere near Tom Baker yet so that explanation didn't make sense.

I want The Genuine Doctor back not another Doctor Matt was by far The best Doctor the only one I really emphasized with.
This Christmas special was so utterly boring. Nothing happened. There were only three characters in it, the Doctor, Clara and that random woman with a stalk in her head. I don't remember anything from the episode. There was no excitement at all and the worst thing was, other than the logic in how the Doctor and his pitchfork wielding friends managed to actually fight any of these advanced armoured and armed enemies, was that there were TWO segments which were told through a narrator mid-way the story. I'm sorry, but you're meant to be showing us things, not just random explosions and laser etc etc etc oh he's three hundred years older. Wow, what an amazing piece of ****ing writing.

They build up, or shall I say reference, the Doctor having this friendship with the small boy but we never actually see it. The whole town is suddenly shoehorned in as the Doctor's 'family' but we never see anything and we don't see it start. This is a visual medium, guys, ****ing use your cameras and film the Doctor adopting the ****ing town as his family.

Also, there is, once again with Moffatt's terrible series arc episodes, no reason as to why the crack waited until he was really old before letting him regenerate/give him his powerful timey-wimey-beams-which-we'd-never-seen-damage-anything-before-but-suddenly-they-do-now *******s. They did nothing for that whole story, their situation did not change and nor did any of the characters, unless you count the church/military being built up for three years and then suddenly have the ****ing daleks kill them, whatever the **** the stalks coming out of their heads, but somehow the lady is fine. How did they fight the angels?

I assume they were still on the planet. They had ****ing pitchforks. It's just a stupid cocktease 'Oh this arc is going to be about the Doctor's name' and we're all sat here thinking 'bull**** are they going to actually do it' and they didn't. 'Oh this story is about the timelords coming back after they've been teasing it for the last 8 years' nope, still not back.

I thought the next series was going to be the Doctor trying to find the Timelords and then they have them semi-nearly come back right after the ending to the 50th anniversary. That was a great episode. Why did this have to suck? Jesus Christ.

in the Wedding of River Song Dorium says "on the fields of Trenzalore, at the Fall of the Eleventh, when no creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked. A question that must never ever be answered: Doctor who?" the key part is the fail to answer part which is what the doctor does all episode.This is a major plothole Moffat but I still loved the episode.

What a forgetful piece of exposition. All it seems to me is Moffatt laughing saying 'Look! Look! I referenced this episode two years before it aired. AHAHAHAHAHA'. You're not clever Moffatt.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think you guys seem to be forgetting that lots of the classic Doctors showed signs of confusion after regenerating... Hell, the fifth Doctor was very ill when he regenerated from the fourth if I remember properly (Castrovalva I believe)...
Was there a joke?He said that he has new kidneys and doesn't know what the colour is:confused:I thought that the Doctor shouldn't have just said "Do you know how to fly this thing" because He should have at least said "Ah The Tardis its crashing now I think I need to press these buttons here I think but I'm not quite aure how to fly this thing".I really felt that Peter Capaldi's Doctor just seemed to be a drunk idiot rather than the Doctor.When the other new doctors came in He still felt like the Doctor this one doesn't-It seems as if He is an impostor.

How is he a drunk idiot?! Comments first on kidneys, Matt Smith commented on his legs pretty much straight away...sees the Tardis is crashing (well you would notice that), is unsure how to fly it (he's just regenerated and not only that, started new regeneration cycle, could have extra memory impairment...Matt Smith couldn't work out what food he likes etc.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending