The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9420
Original post by TH3-FL45H
I don't think we should have pushed for the win because a point was good enough and also it would have left us open. Wenger pushed for the win against Dortmund and we lost so...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, that's why I was pretty happy with a point vs you guys, it would have been great to have come top of the table, but staying in the pack is better than losing reach of the pack because you tried to sprint too early. Wenger learnt from his lesson at Dortmund in the emirates, I said you should have played for the draw then, you wouldn't currently be facing bayern munich in the round of 16 if you'd did and hung on a thread to the CL spot.

I don't get why people are complaining though, I liked the match, pretty tactical from both teams and I like possession vs counter attacking games a lot. I see why it'll be frustrating for the team in possession of the ball though, but I like it regardless of whether we're the possession team or we're the counter attacking team.
Original post by Isometrix
Tbh Arsenal were helpless in their own stadium that game, tactically overpowered. I'd say Wenger let his own fans down by not even bothering to make any subs and push for a win. Personally both managers were too proud to lose, and when that happens you get the kind of match that we saw. But it was up to Arsenal to make more of the game, and they didn't. You should be upset at your own team.

What are you talking about? Arsenal tried to win the game from the start but we couldn't get through the well organised Chelsea defence. Maybe if Chelsea had opened up a bit more we could have had a more exciting game. It was always Mou's plan in dig in a get the point and tbf he got that. I dont really see how Arsenal were tactically overpowered. I could have managed Chelsea that day.
Reply 9422
Original post by Zerforax
Predictions for the game on Sunday?

Hard to say. We have done well in big games so far, Aguero was in pretty beastly form when he came to the Bridge but we kept him as quiet as possible and ultimately got a win thanks to a big blunder by the City defence after a long game of us pressuring them. Your defence looks just as likely to make a blunder like that, and you're coming off the back of a defeat even if you did look really good at times in that game.

Hopefully Skrtel finally gets pulled up for his ridiculous shirt pulling at corners :colonhash: Surely the referees have to be going into games looking at it now, given how consistently he's been doing it instead of playing the ball.

1-1..Maybe.
Reply 9423
Original post by sevchenko
What are you talking about? Arsenal tried to win the game from the start but we couldn't get through the well organised Chelsea defence. Maybe if Chelsea had opened up a bit more we could have had a more exciting game. It was always Mou's plan in dig in a get the point and tbf he got that. I dont really see how Arsenal were tactically overpowered. I could have managed Chelsea that day.

Agree, first half Chelsea were better, second half arsenal were better, draw was a fair result, but you wouldn't have complained either way if Chelsea or Arsenal had won the match.

Chelsea had the best chances of the match, Arsenal couldn't get a shot on target until the last 10 minutes.

Chelsea were the best team, offensively and defensively.

Well you were because we packed the midfield making it difficult for you to fashion hardly any chances. We got the result we wanted. Knowing that you still need to play us at the Bridge, a draw suited us more.
Here's a tactic against Liverpool- play for set pieces and corners.
Start Ba and by default, Skrtel will mark him on set pieces. Let's say we aim to get 6-10 corners against Liverpool. On 1-2 of these corners, Skrtel is guaranteed to do something stupid.

Man City are much more adventurous at home than we are. They like to push their team high up the pitch quickly. They can get away with this as they can score so many goals, but they do leave themselves vulnerable. We're going to sit a little deeper against Liverpool and they won't get as much space between the lines. We're going to be harder to break down, while Liverpool will possibly be more vulnerable on the break.

I can't see us losing seeing how well we handled City's attacking threat at Stamford Bridge.

Plus, I hope Gerrard is fit because he is actually a hindrance on the abilities of Henderson and Allen and the whole team's play. He likes to take on too much responsibility when there are players that can do some of the things he likes to do better.I say it's either 1-1 or 2-1 to us. Remember this is pretty much the same Liverpool team we played last year attack-wise except Coutinho. Coutinho got crushed at Anfield when we played them last year and was taken off at half time. I'm sure we're going to do a better job of keeping Coutinho and Sterling quiet than Liverpool did.

I've got work from 3-7 so I can't watch this game :frown:
Original post by Zürich
Not necessarily just us . I think everyone in the country, bar none, would say Arsenal are to class what Chelsea are to chav. Why hide from it? It's your tradition? Were proud of ours, and I'm sure......

And Mourinho says Arsenal are boring?

In fairness, you cant help it. Stuck with a reject manager like Mourinho.

Wenger Wonderland

:awesome:

Well if you're happy with a French relic who has let Arsenal stagnate and even decline as a football club, then....ok.

Since Mourinho's appointment in 2004, he has won 5 league titles, 9 domestic cups, and 1 European cup (alongside 5 semi-finals worth noting). All in 3 major footballing European countries.

Wenger since 2004, has won 1 domestic cup (and never won a European title ever)....

erm....uh...yeah....awkward.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
Chelsea had the best chances of the match, Arsenal couldn't get a shot on target until the last 10 minutes.

Chelsea were the best team, offensively and defensively.

Original post by Isometrix
Well you were because we packed the midfield making it difficult for you to fashion hardly any chances. We got the result we wanted. Knowing that you still need to play us at the Bridge, a draw suited us more.

The way I see it is that both defences gave an equally competent performance so I reject the idea that Chelsea were better defensively. They may have appeared better because they were tested more. The reality is that both offences were poor when Chelsea did get into good counter attacks they often blew the chances I remember Willian was getting a hard time on here for missing key passes and chances. Oscar and Schürrle made no impact. When Lamps hit the post that was your only real chance to score.

Arsenal offence was poor, we dominated possession and the midfield but we couldn't crack the Chelsea defence. We had chances but failed to take them. A draw was a fair result.
Original post by Zürich
And Morinho has no more class.

A man who's entire career was as much backed up by statements as success.

A man who was ran out of Real Madrid but acts as if he walked out?

A man who say's one thing and expects everyone else to believes the 2nd?

Go home Zurich, you're drunk.
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
Well if you're happy with a French relic who has let Arsenal stagnate and even decline as a football club, then....ok.

Since Mourinho's appointment in 2004, he has won 5 league titles, 9 domestic cups, and 1 European cup (alongside 5 semi-finals worth noting). All in 3 major footballing European countries.

Wenger since 2004, has won 1 domestic cup (and never won a European title ever)....

erm....uh...yeah....awkward.

Honestly, this is an ignorant view but one I see a lot. The only reason we can buy players like Özil now is because of the brilliant work Wenger did when all our money was going on the stadium and he was being forced to sell his best players every year. Mourinho is a good manager with money, but he never would have lasted in that scenario.

You may take this as a dig at Chelsea, you may see the truth behind it, but it's a lot easier to win trophies when you're being funded by a Russian billionnaire than when you're pumping over £400m into a stadium. Arsenal are in a fantastic position now compared to 10 years ago.
Reply 9431
Original post by 9MmBulletz
Here's a tactic against Liverpool- play for set pieces and corners.
Start Ba and by default, Skrtel will mark him on set pieces. Let's say we aim to get 6-10 corners against Liverpool. On 1-2 of these corners, Skrtel is guaranteed to do something stupid.

Man City are much more adventurous at home than we are. They like to push their team high up the pitch quickly. They can get away with this as they can score so many goals, but they do leave themselves vulnerable. We're going to sit a little deeper against Liverpool and they won't get as much space between the lines. We're going to be harder to break down, while Liverpool will possibly be more vulnerable on the break.

I can't see us losing seeing how well we handled City's attacking threat at Stamford Bridge.

Plus, I hope Gerrard is fit because he is actually a hindrance on the abilities of Henderson and Allen and the whole team's play. He likes to take on too much responsibility when there are players that can do some of the things he likes to do better.I say it's either 1-1 or 2-1 to us. Remember this is pretty much the same Liverpool team we played last year attack-wise except Coutinho. Coutinho got crushed at Anfield when we played them last year and was taken off at half time. I'm sure we're going to do a better job of keeping Coutinho and Sterling quiet than Liverpool did.

I've got work from 3-7 so I can't watch this game :frown:

Yeah, set piece play and corners would be my guess. Was gonna say target Skrtel, the thing is though with our height in the team with Ivanovic as well as our CBs, skrtel may be forced to mark a defender tbh. Surely the ref will give a pen for his shirt grabbing though.

Personally I'd have Ba on the bench, then to put him on to change the game, rather than start for us in the match. We can still play our football and stifle them with Torres, who will try and prevent them from playing. I don't really mind who starts as the striker, as long as it's not eto'o.

Liverpool will be more vulnerable on the break true that, but this is where losing Ramires is a big blow for us. He'd be good at driving when on the break into space, I don't see lamps or mikel doing that, or Essien for that matter, so I wonder how Mourinho will approach this game team sheet wise, my idea would be to get oscar to drop deeper into midfield at times, allow Lucas to pass the ball but we'll have men back. If gerrard is fit however, the tactic would be to just man mark gerrard with Oscar, he'll be there at the expense of Allen.

Tbh, with no sturridge, I doubt we'll lose though. He made their play faster and his presence in the box made it harder for us to mark out suarez. I see them being slightly laboured after that City match, then travelling to another away game. It's gonna be hard for them.
Reply 9432
Original post by Zürich
Did Morinho just call Arsenal boring btw????????????????

Where has he been from his own 'shows' these last few years?

If Mou call's that entertainment then he's the only one.....

ONE.ARSENE.WENGER.
He was talking about the match on monday RE: Arsenal fans blaming us for the boring game. You were boring, we were boring, and the conditions didn't help. Was a 0-0 snoozefest.

Got loads of Arsenal fans spitting feathers over that comment though as they just read the sensationalist headline and not the rest of the quote. Mourinho is a professional WUM.
How much sherry have you had recently, Zurich?

This thread can now be locked. Forever.
Reply 9435
Original post by Zürich
There has been a discussion over Christmas over Roman.

Do Chelsea fans never realise that you were nothing, not even a Uefa Cup team, without money from gangsters?

We were in 4th place before Roman came.
Original post by Zerforax
Predictions for the game on Sunday?

1-1 draw, I think. I don't think we'll lose at home but I don't really expect us to keep Liverpool out.

Original post by Zürich
There has been a discussion over Christmas over Roman.

Do Chelsea fans never realise that you were nothing, not even a Uefa Cup team, without money from gangsters?

You clearly aren't aware of some problems with that statement, namely the fact we were in the Champions League in the 1999/2000 season, reaching the quarter-finals. We qualified for the CL the year before Abramovich came, and had enjoyed more cup success than most sides in the late 1990s.
Reply 9437
Why are you guys answering to him seriously ffs. That's what he wants. Falling into the bait.

Admittedly I used to try to get into arguments with Arsenal fans when I was bored too. Can't blame him, holidays are boring, you're either broke or working.
(edited 10 years ago)
Zurich is jealous of Chelsea.

There's no other way to put it.
I'm actually really worried about this game without Ramires. With him there I really didn't think there was a chance we would lose but now I'd be worried about the pairing. Lampard/Mikel is just asking for trouble tbh. Should be a 4-3-3. Expecting a boring game.

Latest