A General Announcement - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING (mod sticky?)

Watch
Beardbrah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Things here on the fitness forums are getting out of hand. It's like the blind leading the blind these days.

I get that we have a lot of people who may be new to health and fitness and exercising, and this number is set to rise with the new year and people looking to get fit as new years resolutions.

However, what I'm seeing more and more of, is people with limited understanding answering questions and adding input which is incorrect and may potentially harm people or hinder them in reaching their fitness goals, and helping to propagate the spreading of misinformation.

If you do not have a basic understanding of human biology and/or nutritional science, please refrain from posting. Please do not parrot what you have read in fitness magazines or online unless it has been well backed up with evidence.

Good sources of information include biology textbooks, nutrition textbooks, online articles that have been referenced or are from reputable websites or authors, academic research or journal articles, training manuals or books from respectable well known coaches, or information from well respected authorities within the fitness community that back up their statements and ideas with evidence base and science.

I implore that you exercise CRITICAL THINKING when reading about health, fitness and nutrition.

Whilst TSR is meant to be a friendly forum for discussion and trading of ideas and opinions, please bear in mind at all times that changing and training the human body is a science - it is well researched and we have good understanding of what works best, what works full stop and that which does not work, thanks to medical research. There are some rules about the human body set in stone, there are some things that apply TO ALL PEOPLE that ALL people will respond and adapt to, and there are some base rules that are unwavering and always apply. Perhaps the most important of these is that if you want to lose weight, you must burn more energy than you consume, i.e. know how many calories your body needs, track how many calories you eat, and make sure to eat less than what you need.

tl;dr if you're unsure, refrain from posting. You may do more harm than good.
Scoobiedoobiedo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I second the motion.
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
PRSOM

I'd also like to add that we do have a wealth of knowledge among members of the forum. With the New Year coming around, we're bound to get an influx of resolutioners who really have little clue about health and fitness; and we're bound to get an influx of accompanying dodgy advice. I'd love to see our knowledgeable members doing their best - like HFerguson has been recently - to educate these people and help guide them to their goal. Although the level of ignorance can be incredibly frustrating, and I totally understand that, I always find it disheartening when people come to the fitness forum looking for help and sometimes get snarky, sarcastic, or even aggressive replies in response. The first rule we have on TSR is to be friendly and respectful of other users - and having this sort of supportive community can make a big difference, whereas getting the angry snarky responses can be discouraging. As a mod, I'd want to see less of the tough love and more fluff and an effort to integrate people into the community, because I genuinely feel that it does make a difference, if not with their fitness, but with how they interact with the community.
KingGym
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They will last a month before going back to their old ways, might aswell break their backs.
Universityofme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're coming here to get " decent"advice for fitness, as opposed to conversation, then you're ******ed. Most personal trainers don't have a clue so why would an internet forum that's based for students...
bertstare
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Universityofme)
If you're coming here to get " decent"advice for fitness, as opposed to conversation, then you're ******ed. Most personal trainers don't have a clue so why would an internet forum that's based for students...
Because the average personal trainer gets their information from Men's Health magazine whilst a lot of students on here get their information from studies, journals, textbooks etc. Of course, plenty of posters on this forum post total bull**** but there is also legitimately valid information too; it can sometimes just be confusing to a newbie finding out which is which (hence this thread)
Nvmthename
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HFerguson)
Things here on the fitness forums are getting out of hand. It's like the blind leading the blind these days.

I get that we have a lot of people who may be new to health and fitness and exercising, and this number is set to rise with the new year and people looking to get fit as new years resolutions.

However, what I'm seeing more and more of, is people with limited understanding answering questions and adding input which is incorrect and may potentially harm people or hinder them in reaching their fitness goals, and helping to propagate the spreading of misinformation.

If you do not have a basic understanding of human biology and/or nutritional science, please refrain from posting. Please do not parrot what you have read in fitness magazines or online unless it has been well backed up with evidence.

Good sources of information include biology textbooks, nutrition textbooks, online articles that have been referenced or are from reputable websites or authors, academic research or journal articles, training manuals or books from respectable well known coaches, or information from well respected authorities within the fitness community that back up their statements and ideas with evidence base and science.

I implore that you exercise CRITICAL THINKING when reading about health, fitness and nutrition.

Whilst TSR is meant to be a friendly forum for discussion and trading of ideas and opinions, please bear in mind at all times that changing and training the human body is a science - it is well researched and we have good understanding of what works best, what works full stop and that which does not work, thanks to medical research. There are some rules about the human body set in stone, there are some things that apply TO ALL PEOPLE that ALL people will respond and adapt to, and there are some base rules that are unwavering and always apply. Perhaps the most important of these is that if you want to lose weight, you must burn more energy than you consume, i.e. know how many calories your body needs, track how many calories you eat, and make sure to eat less than what you need.

tl;dr if you're unsure, refrain from posting. You may do more harm than good.
Yeah but, should i stop eating potatoes to tone my biceps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
JollyJelly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't see why you expect a student forum to have scientifically backed up answers to questions like 'how to lose fat off my arms'.

Even dedicated fitness forums get rubbish answers.

It would be nice if every answer was the right answer. But people asking these questions must realise that they should take any answers with a pinch of salt.

How many people know the exact answer to every fitness question on here anyway? 3 or 4? It would be a pointless forum with just these people posting...TSR may as well just have a few articles on fitness if they're going to stop people posting their opinion.
kumbatkanyasay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KingGym)
They will last a month before going back to their old ways, might aswell break their backs.
Might as well
+1
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Agree. Even when I was modding this part of the forum I would leave the bulking threads to those who knew what they were doing, and I tried to stay around the weight loss threads, as that is where most of my research is useful.

I am fed up to the back teeth of people (particularly girls, sorry ladies) recommending "x, y or z" fad diet, saying it will definitely work, or saying that eating 400 calories a day is the only way to lose weight, or that you can't eat "x/y/z" EVER, OR that there is a magic "fat gene" and OP probably has it, and will therefore never be able to lose weight.

No.

EDIT: Also "x diet worked, but I've put the weight back on since" well in my opinion, that hasn't "worked" then.

This is turning into a rant now, I'm very sorry.
Scoobiedoobiedo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JollyJelly)
I don't see why you expect a student forum to have scientifically backed up answers to questions like 'how to lose fat off my arms'.

Even dedicated fitness forums get rubbish answers.

It would be nice if every answer was the right answer. But people asking these questions must realise that they should take any answers with a pinch of salt.

How many people know the exact answer to every fitness question on here anyway? 3 or 4? It would be a pointless forum with just these people posting...TSR may as well just have a few articles on fitness if they're going to stop people posting their opinion.
Because 'how to lose fat off my arms' is an incredibly easy question to answer, that anybody with even a basic understanding can answer. If you don't have that basic understanding, don't answer the question until you have.

There is nothing wrong with posting an opinion, so long as it's in relation to something that is genuinely subjective, and that opinion is grounded in at least some basic understanding of fundamental concepts.

Nobody knows the exact answer to everything, however, that doesn't mean you can just make up something that sounds right in your head and start filling in the blanks.

Exercise and nutrition is the one area where everybody has an opinion. People who don't know something, usually don't offer an opinion on it, apart from when it comes to exercise and nutrition.
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
Because 'how to lose fat off my arms' is an incredibly easy question to answer, that anybody with even a basic understanding can answer. If you don't have that basic understanding, don't answer the question until you have.

There is nothing wrong with posting an opinion, so long as it's in relation to something that is genuinely subjective, and that opinion is grounded in at least some basic understanding of fundamental concepts.

Nobody knows the exact answer to everything, however, that doesn't mean you can just make up something that sounds right in your head and start filling in the blanks.

Exercise and nutrition is the one area where everybody has an opinion. People who don't know something, usually don't offer an opinion on it, apart from when it comes to exercise and nutrition.
This.

Considering on this forum - we've had people claim that eating a diet with meat in it leads to Candida fungal sepsis and other bizarre "facts", I'm right behind HFerguson's thoughts above
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.09%
Uncertainty around my education (37)
10.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (40)
11.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.62%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.64%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.72%
Financial worries (24)
6.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.09%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.9%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (35)
10.14%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise