University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
Original post by 0xygen
Thank you. I'm still abit skeptical as to which hall of residence I should decide to stay at, any recommendations ?

Also, if I do my BSC's at Leicester then do my MSC's at Imperial, would the employers care where I do my Masters ? Or would they only care about where I graduated from ?

I currently live in Digby halls. Ignore what everyone has said before about Digby, they underwent a massive refurbishment so we're the first people staying in them. The problem is, uni don't have any photos of the changes so all you can see is the crappy stuff!

I was really sceptical when i was told i got Digby, infact i was very tempted to change it! SO happy that i didn't, i live in a block of 19; 9 boys, 10 girls and we all get along really well. Digby is a very sociable halls, people tend to pop over if they're going out, pop their head through the window or just climb in and join in the drinking!

So just incase anyone is wondering about Digby and actually wants to know something about it;

flats of 4/5 except for one block which has a female flat of 7.

2 bathrooms in each flat consisting of a shower and toilet/sink.

one flat in each block has a large open plan kitchen/lounge. The others are basically the same but have a smaller arch seperating them so they become two seperate rooms. If you're in flat 2, you're in the best kitchen. You'll also be stuck with pre-drinks every week..

You get a cleaner who cleans your toilets/kitchen/hall

Attached a photo of the kitchen, the lounge with 2 sofas is where this photo is taken from!
Hope this has been helpful!

563.jpg
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 1061
Original post by SimonA95
I currently live in Digby halls. Ignore what everyone has said before about Digby, they underwent a massive refurbishment so we're the first people staying in them. The problem is, uni don't have any photos of the changes so all you can see is the crappy stuff!

I was really sceptical when i was told i got Digby, infact i was very tempted to change it! SO happy that i didn't, i live in a block of 19; 9 boys, 10 girls and we all get along really well. Digby is a very sociable halls, people tend to pop over if they're going out, pop their head through the window or just climb in and join in the drinking!

So just incase anyone is wondering about Digby and actually wants to know something about it;

flats of 4/5 except for one block which has a female flat of 7.

2 bathrooms in each flat consisting of a shower and toilet/sink.

one flat in each block has a large open plan kitchen/lounge. The others are basically the same but have a smaller arch seperating them so they become two seperate rooms. If you're in flat 2, you're in the best kitchen. You'll also be stuck with pre-drinks every week..

You get a cleaner who cleans your toilets/kitchen/hall

Attached a photo of the kitchen, the lounge with 2 sofas is where this photo is taken from!
Hope this has been helpful!

563.jpg

Thanks for the info! I don't know why people usually say that Digby isn't clean and really small.. That looks pretty clean and at a decent size to me ? Nice but I will most likely go for an en-suit room {Self Catered}, I will put Digby down though.

Btw, whats all this rant going on about how Beaumont is the best hall to be at? Apparently it looks the best and is one of the most sociable?
Original post by 0xygen
Thank you. I'm still abit skeptical as to which hall of residence I should decide to stay at, any recommendations ?

Also, if I do my BSC's at Leicester then do my MSC's at Imperial, would the employers care where I do my Masters ? Or would they only care about where I graduated from ?

My recommendation is based on the halls of residence in 2009/2010 so it might not be worth a lot these days, but back then the old court (catered) Beaumont was probably the best. Digby looks a hell of a lot better than it used to though.

As for your BSc/MSc I wouldn't worry too much about what the employer thinks of the university, people really hype that up unnecessarily. Leicester is a very good university these days and any degree from it is well respected. What subject area will you be studying?
Original post by 0xygen
Thanks for the info! I don't know why people usually say that Digby isn't clean and really small.. That looks pretty clean and at a decent size to me ? Nice but I will most likely go for an en-suit room {Self Catered}, I will put Digby down though.

Btw, whats all this rant going on about how Beaumont is the best hall to be at? Apparently it looks the best and is one of the most sociable?

Beaumont is very sociable mainly because you live with a large number of people. I am in block 6, which consists of 20 boys on the bottom floor and 20 girls on the top floor, so imagine what its like for pre drinks haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1064
Original post by Hart1995
Beaumont is very sociable mainly because you live with a large number of people. I am in block 6, which consists of 20 boys on the bottom floor and 20 girls on the top floor, so imagine what its like for pre drinks haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohhh, so basically the more people there is the more sociable ? Does Beaumont look nice and is it spacious?

Thanks btw
Reply 1065
Original post by Sammydemon
My recommendation is based on the halls of residence in 2009/2010 so it might not be worth a lot these days, but back then the old court (catered) Beaumont was probably the best. Digby looks a hell of a lot better than it used to though.

As for your BSc/MSc I wouldn't worry too much about what the employer thinks of the university, people really hype that up unnecessarily. Leicester is a very good university these days and any degree from it is well respected. What subject area will you be studying?

I think I should personally check out the accommodation when I visit in February :smile:

I applied and received an offer for Computer Science, my long term goal is to work for a known / respected company like Google etc... So I heard that the best option would be to study my MSc at a strong research led university like "Imperial" which requires a 2.1, I'm not completely sure if employers really take where I did my MSc but care about the course and experience?

However, I think that if I decide to work in the US they will look at where I conducted my research and where I graduated from etc..

Can you help me out with this? CS especially software engineering is very competitive as there are only limited spaces in the top firms so any help would be much appreciated. {All top firms are competitive for any job so not implying that software engineering is the only competitive one}
Reply 1066
:smile:
Original post by 0xygen
I think I should personally check out the accommodation when I visit in February :smile:

I applied and received an offer for Computer Science, my long term goal is to work for a known / respected company like Google etc... So I heard that the best option would be to study my MSc at a strong research led university like "Imperial" which requires a 2.1, I'm not completely sure if employers really take where I did my MSc but care about the course and experience?

However, I think that if I decide to work in the US they will look at where I conducted my research and where I graduated from etc..

Can you help me out with this? CS especially software engineering is very competitive as there are only limited spaces in the top firms so any help would be much appreciated. {All top firms are competitive for any job so not implying that software engineering is the only competitive one}

I am a chemistry student which is perhaps a little (really only a little) less competitive. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a big name for at least one of your qualifications.
So by all means go for imperial but don't let Leicester being a slightly lesser university put you off if the course is good.
Reply 1068
I am a chemistry student which is perhaps a little (really only a little) less competitive. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a big name for at least one of your qualifications.
So by all means go for imperial but don't let Leicester being a slightly lesser university put you off if the course is good.

Yeah, lets hope its not boring like QMUL's... Went to their open day and fell asleep, the speaker was stuttering, he was constantly making mistakes and was practically reading of the screen {Which is what we could all see and read already}

So yeah it was REEEAAALLLY boring.

Is a degree from Leicester respected?

1- Its not a Russel Group University
2- It could drop to the 30's in the ranks {League tables} at any time..

So how can you tell if a degree from a certain university is worth more than a degree from another... For example, I hear that a degree from QMUL is "worth more" than a degree from Leicester. {QM is like 25 ranks below Leicester on league tables. But it is a russel group university} However others say that a degree from Leicester is worth more.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 0xygen
Yeah, lets hope its not boring like QMUL's... Went to their open day and fell asleep, the speaker was stuttering, he was constantly making mistakes and was practically reading of the screen {Which is what we could all see and read already}

So yeah it was REEEAAALLLY boring.

Is a degree from Leicester respected?

1- Its not a Russel Group University
2- It could drop to the 30's in the ranks {League tables} at any time..

So how can you tell if a degree from a certain university is worth more than a degree from another... For example, I hear that a degree from QMUL is "worth more" than a degree from Leicester. {QM is like 25 ranks below Leicester on league tables. But it is a russel group university} However others say that a degree from Leicester is worth more.

Leicester have been continually rising in the ranks over the last decade and in certain subject areas they sit at the top of the tables, for example in sciences.

Leicester never got into the Russell group but made it in to the later 1994 group which contains plenty of other very highly regarded universities. Don't place too much weight on these league tables though, it's not true that employers will. If you get a 1st or 2.1 degree from Leicester you should be sorted.
Reply 1070
Leicester have been continually rising in the ranks over the last decade and in certain subject areas they sit at the top of the tables, for example in sciences.

Leicester never got into the Russell group but made it in to the later 1994 group which contains plenty of other very highly regarded universities. Don't place too much weight on these league tables though, it's not true that employers will. If you get a 1st or 2.1 degree from Leicester you should be sorted.

Didn't the 1994 group close down? I read it on their website.

Thanks though, I was just kind of sceptical as Queen Mary Uni London is my second choice, but friends were telling me to put it as my first. I personally don't think that something like Queen Mary is better than Leicester so HOPE I MEET THE OFFER!

Btw, are Leicester lenient when it comes to missing their offer by a few marks? They want ABB and I'm not an A* student so may miss the A by a few marks and end up getting BBB
Original post by 0xygen
Didn't the 1994 group close down? I read it on their website.

Thanks though, I was just kind of sceptical as Queen Mary Uni London is my second choice, but friends were telling me to put it as my first. I personally don't think that something like Queen Mary is better than Leicester so HOPE I MEET THE OFFER!

Btw, are Leicester lenient when it comes to missing their offer by a few marks? They want ABB and I'm not an A* student so may miss the A by a few marks and end up getting BBB

Chemistry used to be very lenient, but it just depends on the intake for that year and the department, I can't speak for computer science.

I'd rather be in Leicester than London. Cheaper, smaller, easier.
Reply 1072
Chemistry used to be very lenient, but it just depends on the intake for that year and the department, I can't speak for computer science.

I'd rather be in Leicester than London. Cheaper, smaller, easier.

Accommodation is pretty expensive though. 4.5K for an en-suit room {Self Catered} with no extras e.g. Bus pass etc...

Thanks for the information though, helped me a lot and I will defo try my best to get into Leicester... Started studying hard one week ago.
Digby is by far the best for accommodation, but you missed a couple of things out;
Even though it's all been refurbished every light, door handle and oven glass door is liable to break just by sneezing near them.
Some of the cleaners take liberties with being ''Assisted cleaners'' and do bugger all except take your traffic cones and tell housekeeping when you put a few tiny holes in the floor is smash the oven door.
Flat 2 may be the best sized kitchen (I'm a flat 2 resident) but beware random people from all over will use Digby as a shortcut for ASDA, so wear clothes when in the kitchen... especially awkward when people have parents over... or even small children.
Original post by MattCSidd
Digby is by far the best for accommodation, but you missed a couple of things out;
Even though it's all been refurbished every light, door handle and oven glass door is liable to break just by sneezing near them.
Some of the cleaners take liberties with being ''Assisted cleaners'' and do bugger all except take your traffic cones and tell housekeeping when you put a few tiny holes in the floor is smash the oven door.
Flat 2 may be the best sized kitchen (I'm a flat 2 resident) but beware random people from all over will use Digby as a shortcut for ASDA, so wear clothes when in the kitchen... especially awkward when people have parents over... or even small children.

Bit biased seen as you live in digby......?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0xygen
Accommodation is pretty expensive though. 4.5K for an en-suit room {Self Catered} with no extras e.g. Bus pass etc...

Thanks for the information though, helped me a lot and I will defo try my best to get into Leicester... Started studying hard one week ago.

Don't waste your money on the bus pass.

Studying hard eh? I might give that a shot one day.
Reply 1076
Don't waste your money on the bus pass.

Studying hard eh? I might give that a shot one day.

You're lucky, some people are born with an intellectual mind and get top marks without even trying that hard. Others have to work REALLY hard and end up scraping a B
Original post by 0xygen
You're lucky, some people are born with an intellectual mind and get top marks without even trying that hard. Others have to work REALLY hard and end up scraping a B

No, I don't get top marks. I just have a lot of better things to do than study...
Reply 1078
No, I don't get top marks. I just have a lot of better things to do than study...

Ah, alright.

P.S. If you manage to find any information on how respected or how the teaching is for "Computer Science" PLEASE let me know as I am so confused right now... Can barely find any reviews on the subject at Leicester
Original post by 0xygen
Ah, alright.

P.S. If you manage to find any information on how respected or how the teaching is for "Computer Science" PLEASE let me know as I am so confused right now... Can barely find any reviews on the subject at Leicester

OK, but here's some advice, students work way too much there days. All work and no play...

Quick Reply

Latest