The Student Room Group

no motivation to study 1 more week till A-level jan exams!!

help!! need motivation!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by achu123
help!! need motivation!!

Come on!
You must have an ounce reserved in your body somewhat?

LOL.
😂
January examinations are a chance - and one that will disappear - for you to show them what you got from early on in the year and lessen the heavily anticipated load of revision, examination preparation and all-round dedication.

What is it that you're not naturally motivated for bearing in mind that you've poked your courses specific to your career prospect?
What examinations do you have many I ask?
Do you feel you're got a solid foundation to achieve your best?
Are you in AS or A2?

Don't mind me if it's too many questions; I'm too inquisitive at times. -.-
:smile::wink::biggrin::tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
no, i haven't got a sold foundation to achieve my best :frown:..
i have 6 exams :frown: Business(bs3), Maths (C1,C2 and mechanics) Chemistry ( CH1 and ch4)
I am actually re-siting some modules from As and A2..I did badly in my first year (BDDE) but couldn't re-sit the year due to no spaces in the subjects i wanted to do! so had to carry on to A2..but at the end i achieved B (Business), C (Chemistry) and C (Maths)
I am predicted 3A's but i don't have any motivation! :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by achu123
no, i haven't got a sold foundation to achieve my best :frown:..
i have 6 exams :frown: Business(bs3), Maths (C1,C2 and mechanics) Chemistry ( CH1 and ch4)
I am actually re-siting some modules from As and A2..I did badly in my first year (BDDE) but couldn't re-sit the year due to no spaces in the subjects i wanted to do! so had to carry on to A2..but at the end i achieved B (Business), C (Chemistry) and C (Maths)
I am predicted 3A's but i don't have any motivation! :frown:

Well?
To start off, I would like to congratulate you for technically passing all subjects at AS.

Cutting a long rant short, you have an AAA prediction which suggests that you've proven to your teachers that you can achieve such grades to follow on...
You've been through the whole process thus probably being able to give some advice as I'm only in A2.

You should be much more comfortable with all specifications and content as you've thoroughly studied it before however personally?

If I was predicted your grades - which I am but in a different context - I would motivated already!

I would finally advise that you try your best to cover all revision topics thoroughly enough to get that A...
In reality, you'll need mostly grade As in your module to achieve that AAA.

I believe that you can do it so I believe that you believe you can do it!
Simple.

Is it that you've not covered material properly?
Or... I don't know. I'm throwing out thoughts but I'm not too sure as you can see...

You might need to spend an all nighter or two focusing on each examination specification and try to ground all you need to know...

Take time to put together a plan together...
"Right, with the time I have, I can push to achieve a B in CH1. I know CH4 a lot better so this means that my UMS will be boosted by my performance as I can get an A easier."

It's just a scenario but it works...
It's not ideal, but it can help you if you want it enough!
:smile::wink::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thank you for taking the time to reply! :smile:
Yes, but I need to study CH1, BS3 and mechanics on my own!
How long do you study in one day? what would your typical day like for revision? whats your study techniques?
Reply 5
Original post by achu123
Thank you for taking the time to reply! :smile:
Yes, but I need to study CH1, BS3 and mechanics on my own!
How long do you study in one day? what would your typical day like for revision? whats your study techniques?

You're absolutely welcome.
After going through similar stresses and succeeding out of all of it, I never mind to help someone else out! :biggrin::wink:

Well?
Today I started back revision in my normal schedule which was for around five hours excluding a break. In a normal school term, I cover three hours per day - an hour of each after the school schedule. :smile:

I study Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics so I cover all topics via topic-specific content. Specificity includes topics, definitions, modular focus and all that! I stick to my timetable like it's my educational bible; it keeps me motivated everyday to chip off topic by topic. :wink:

Revision techniques?
I generally use the techniques of revision cards, thorough sectional notes and the common, regular exam practice at any point of confidence after each topic to see where I can improve on and that.

I've also come accustomed with Memrise and Get Revising - two sites that are amazing for reference to your particular boards and common revision reminders with timetable formats and everything!

What are you mort confident on at this point in time?
I don't like the sound of learning three units all by yourself?
That seems extremely stressful. It you can do it - it is possible!

No social life for a week. Go for it!
Haha!
Be honest and tackle all he difficult and "harder-to-infer-in-the-exam" content too. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'm sorry to break it to you, but if you haven't started by now you're screwed.
Reply 7
I am literally in the same boat. I'm "trying" to motivate myself with non-existent, imaginary offers I got from the universities I have applied.

Did you apply to universities this year? If yes, try to envision yourself opening you results (around August time), and jumping with joy because you got in to the Uni you wanted to go :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Ché.
You're absolutely welcome.
After going through similar stresses and succeeding out of all of it, I never mind to help someone else out! :biggrin::wink:

Well?
Today I started back revision in my normal schedule which was for around five hours excluding a break. In a normal school term, I cover three hours per day - an hour of each after the school schedule. :smile:

I study Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics so I cover all topics via topic-specific content. Specificity includes topics, definitions, modular focus and all that! I stick to my timetable like it's my educational bible; it keeps me motivated everyday to chip off topic by topic. :wink:

Revision techniques?
I generally use the techniques of revision cards, thorough sectional notes and the common, regular exam practice at any point of confidence after each topic to see where I can improve on and that.

I've also come accustomed with Memrise and Get Revising - two sites that are amazing for reference to your particular boards and common revision reminders with timetable formats and everything!

What are you mort confident on at this point in time?
I don't like the sound of learning three units all by yourself?
That seems extremely stressful. It you can do it - it is possible!

No social life for a week. Go for it!
Haha!
Be honest and tackle all he difficult and "harder-to-infer-in-the-exam" content too. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well said! I wish I'm like you...

Did you apply to Uni this year? :smile: OP, listen to advise stated above. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by EcstaZEEH
I am literally in the same boat. I'm "trying" to motivate myself with non-existent, imaginary offers I got from the universities I have applied.

Did you apply to universities this year? If yes, try to envision yourself opening you results (around August time), and jumping with joy because you got in to the Uni you wanted to go :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a technique that I implement several times a revision session.
It installs the motivation back from a small, stressful moment in time... :smile::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Well said! I wish I'm like you...

Did you apply to Uni this year? :smile: OP, listen to advise stated above. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to take that as a compliment, yeah?
Haha! :smile:
Thank you very much...

I sure did apply this year.
I've applied to Nottingham, Swansea, Hertfordshire, Sussex and Westminster - in order of preference - for Biochemistry (some with languages, industrial placements and some... Plain Biochemistry.

I've received offers from Nottingham, Hertfordshire and Westminster which I'm pleased with as Nottingham is competitive eith only twenty five places for my course and is also my first choice!

I'm just waiting back from Swansea now...
*prays*
You?
:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Ché.
That's a technique that I implement several times a revision session.
It installs the motivation back from a small, stressful moment in time... :smile::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! :biggrin:
I call it my "psych-yourself-up-that-if-you-don't-study-you'll-end-up-in-a-bad-Uni" technique :biggrin:

Have you applied to universities this year? :smile: - never mind this. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Is anyone else waiting on any offers?
In fact, is there many other students that are entered for January examinations in 2014 too!?
:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Ché.
I'm going to take that as a compliment, yeah?
Haha! :smile:
Thank you very much...

I sure did apply this year.
I've applied to Nottingham, Swansea, Hertfordshire, Sussex and Westminster - in order of preference - for Biochemistry (some with languages, industrial placements and some... Plain Biochemistry.

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! I like biochemistry :smile:

I am an applicant too. I've applied to Sheffield and Durham for Health and Human Sciences, King's for Anatomy & Human Biology and Exeter and Oxford for Human Sciences. :smile:

I've also applied to US universities (Johns Hopkins, Harvard and Dartmouth). :smile:

Any offers? :smile: - I've seen Nottingham and it is quite majestic but intimate at the same time. :smile:

Edit: I hold offers from Sheffield and Exeter, and I am in my post-interview stage with Oxford and just waiting for the outcome (it's cause quite a ruckus with the anxious applicants). :smile:

I'm still waiting for the piss-taking Durham and King's...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Yes! :biggrin:
I call it my "psych-yourself-up-that-if-you-don't-study-you'll-end-up-in-a-bad-Uni" technique :biggrin:

Have you applied to universities this year? :smile: - never mind this. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

HAHA!
:p:D
Great mindset you have don't you!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Ché.
Is anyone else waiting on any offers?
In fact, is there many other students that are entered for January examinations in 2014 too!?

Yes! I believe that we are the last batch. What exam board are you? I assume it's WJEC? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Ché.
HAHA!
:p:D
Great mindset you have don't you!?

Yeah, I've heard back from the three listed in my above post.
What do you hope to study? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha-ha :smile:

I just try to super psych myself up, so I'll be force to study. :biggrin:

I've replied above - for the courses and universities. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Nice! I like biochemistry :smile:

I am an applicant too. I've applied to Sheffield and Durham for Health and Human Sciences, King's for Anatomy & Human Biology and Exeter and Oxford for Human Sciences. :smile:

I've also applied to US universities (Johns Hopkins, Harvard and Dartmouth). :smile:

Any offers? :smile: - I've seen Nottingham and it is quite majestic but intimate at the same time. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nottingham, Hertfordshire and Westminster! :biggrin:
I'm a potential medic, but I have endeavoured to explore my initial interests through the Biosciences before my MBBS.
I'm really interested in the pharmacological, biotechnological and genetic industries with a load of medical work experience...
I'm just currently spoilt for choice!

..., and applies to you too!
You've got a nice selection of university there haven't you?
Come on... What's you're preference - UK or US?

Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Ché.
Nottingham, Hertfordshire and Westminster! :biggrin:
I'm a potential medic, but I have endeavoured to explore my initial interests through the Biosciences before my MBBS.
I'm really interested in Pfizer and the pharmacological industry with loads of medical work experience...
I'm just currently spoilt for choice!

Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, it is better to go to GEM than as an undergrad. You just need a decent 2:1 and any medical school in the country will be interested - especially with your chosen field. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Yes! I believe that we are the last batch. What exam board are you? I assume it's WJEC? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I don't have any!
I was emphasising with the stresses we all go through...

I'm OCR and EdExcel so I'm under the new constraints already.
Are you with WJEC?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending