The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="Yakob;45703114"]
Original post by GalaxygunnerX

Anime or manga? I've noticed manga are much more better but AoT makes up for it with its soundtrack and action, which is quite hard to understand when reading.

Sorry for the wait... Wifi problem.

I recommend you start with the anime, by the start of the 2nd season there are 2 alternative takes that differ in the manga and the anime... The manga would be more of a complete story. A word of warning, Gantz is very dark, very mature and very gory.

Some others you may want to consider:

Berserk
Claymore : manga for this is great. Similar to AoT.

Really when deciding to choose manga or anime it's up to you.. Trial each one... See which format suits you.
Original post by Yakob
I need recommendations myself. I'm relatively new to anime and started of with Death Note which drew me in greatly, next was Attack on Titan which I must say is absolutely brilliant, the main threat the Titans are one of the most unique and horrifying monsters I have ever seen.

If it was originally western, SnK would of been a brilliant horror film. 10m zombies that can not be killed unless attacked at a certain part with permanent smiles on their faces as they eat Human's for no reason what so ever. Horror material right here. Just imagine Walking Dead with Titans instead, mental stuff.

I loved it and carried on with the manga after the show ended.

Up next was Mirai Nikki, love the twist involving Yuno, boy it started getting dark.

Recommended Dangan Ronpa which was okay, it wasn't as dark as I thought it would be, its funky to say the least. Expected Mirai Nikki 2.0, was disappointed.

Next up was Watamote. I only saw this in passing and the idea sounded good, watched it and fell in love. I love Tomoko's obnoxious behaviour and her piss poor relationship with her younger brother. You pity her yet at the same time, she brings it upon herself for her terrible behaviour. Reading the manga and the prequel manga, Tomomote and she isn't doing herself any justice in that either ha.

I started watching Elfen Lied, could not get into it as "nyu" just starts to piss me off after 5 times. Decided to move onto Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, didn't draw me in either. Same with Durarara!

Try the Higurashi universe, very good in terms of murder mystery (which looks like the thing you are looking for), is less well known than Death Note but in my opinion is on par with it, maybe even exceeding it given you have to figure it out. =l
You *might* like monster, I won't bash it or I know AJ will bash me but you might like it. =l
There's this one: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

Also, sub or dub?
Before I continue I need to know to see if the anime has been subbed or not. =l
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6202
Original post by Scienceisgood
Try the Higurashi universe, very good in terms of murder mystery (which looks like the thing you are looking for), is less well known than Death Note but in my opinion is on par with it, maybe even exceeding it given you have to figure it out. =l
You *might* like monster, I won't bash it or I know AJ will bash me but you might like it. =l

Also, sub or dub?
Before I continue I need to know to see if the anime has been subbed or not. =l

I watched the first episode of Monster, its not what I expected. I thought it was an anime based on this image I saw: A little girl in the rain with an umbrella in the dark with some bunny monster standing right next to her with blood all over its mouth.

Any recommendations similar to Death Note is something I would like. The premise of Death Note is too interesting too ignore, whats more scarier than a 17 year old boy who comes across a book which allows him to commit a global mass-murdering spree?

I'm still confused by the Dangan Ronpa ending.

I don't mind dub or sub.

The trouble is with anime, the art style puts me off. I tried watching Code Geass but I just get YU-GI-OH vibes. AoT, Death Note, Watamote, Mirai Nikki have nice styles. Especially AoT.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Yakob
I watched the first episode of Monster, its not what I expected. I thought it was an anime based on this image I saw: A little girl in the rain with an umbrella in the dark with some bunny monster standing right next to her with blood all over its mouth.

Any recommendations similar to Death Note is something I would like. The premise of Death Note is too interesting too ignore, whats more scarier than a 17 year old boy who comes across a book which allows him to commit a global mass-murdering spree?

I don't mind dub or sub.

The trouble is with anime, the art style puts me off. I tried watching Code Geass but I just get YU-GI-OH vibes. AoT, Death Note, Watamote, Mirai Nikki have nice styles. Especially AoT.

Hmm... Zombie loan is a good manga... Shinigami based.
Original post by Yakob
I need recommendations myself. I'm relatively new to anime and started of with Death Note which drew me in greatly, next was Attack on Titan which I must say is absolutely brilliant, the main threat the Titans are one of the most unique and horrifying monsters I have ever seen.

If it was originally western, SnK would of been a brilliant horror film. 10m zombies that can not be killed unless attacked at a certain part with permanent smiles on their faces as they eat Human's for no reason what so ever. Horror material right here. Just imagine Walking Dead with Titans instead, mental stuff.

I loved it and carried on with the manga after the show ended.

Up next was Mirai Nikki, love the twist involving Yuno, boy it started getting dark.

Recommended Dangan Ronpa which was okay, it wasn't as dark as I thought it would be, its funky to say the least. Expected Mirai Nikki 2.0, was disappointed.

Next up was Watamote. I only saw this in passing and the idea sounded good, watched it and fell in love. I love Tomoko's obnoxious behaviour and her piss poor relationship with her younger brother. You pity her yet at the same time, she brings it upon herself for her terrible behaviour. Reading the manga and the prequel manga, Tomomote and she isn't doing herself any justice in that either ha.

I started watching Elfen Lied, could not get into it as "nyu" just starts to piss me off after 5 times. Decided to move onto Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, didn't draw me in either. Same with Durarara!

That's a pretty great set of series to start off with! Based on what you've said you liked, I'd recommend any of the following:

Claymore

Welcome to the NHK

Steins;Gate

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Shiki

Hope something there takes your interest. :smile:
Original post by Yakob

I don't mind dub or sub.

I will recommend a few others outside of these genres, mostly because I find them damn funny. XD

Is This A Zombie/ Is This A Zombie? Of The Dead (Season 1 and 2 respectively, season 1 waaaay better than 2) - Is an anime series of a kid who is killed by a serial killer and is brought back to life by a necromancer, his life is then dedicated to looking after Eu and finding his killer while trying to retain his dignity as he absorbs the powers of a magical chainsaw wielding girl and resides with both the necromancer, the magical girl and starting in episode 2, a vampire ninja. XD
Hilarious!!!

Sora No Otimoshino (English translation = Heaven's lost property)
Tomoki Sakurai often encounters a strange girl in his dreams asking for his help, but he can't remember her face when he wakes up. When an Unidentified Mysterious Animal (U.M.A.) falls out of the sky, his life of pacifism suddenly becomes complicated. The animal turns out to be an angel, Ikaros.

Black Butler
A story about a 10 year old boy who's parents are violently murdered and being on the brink of death, makes a pact with a demon where if he survives and finds the person responsible for the deaths of his parents and gets revenge, the demon will then get to consume his soul.
Before I forget, don't just watch the first episode, you need to watch at least the first 2-3 to make a judgement of any anime. I usually stick with 3 before making a judgement on it, the longer ones (75+) I usually give around 7-10 episodes before making a judgement.

Gotta get going now though. =)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6206
Just watched episode 6 of Gantz. No way person like that bully could even exist, beating people up and taking their teeth? No possible way, out of everything I just watched, that guy was...something...

I hope that is a serious exaggeration of bullying. That's ****ing scary.
HAPPY DAY! XD

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2013-12-28/fairy-tail-anime-restarts-in-april

EDIT:
Does this mean from the beginning though (as in complete redo which I don't think is necessary given the animation isn't dated yet...) or from where it left off?
(edited 10 years ago)
My god Toriko gets even more ridiculous every chapter, hands down best shonen arc this year.
Original post by Yakob
Just watched episode 6 of Gantz. No way person like that bully could even exist, beating people up and taking their teeth? No possible way, out of everything I just watched, that guy was...something...

I hope that is a serious exaggeration of bullying. That's ****ing scary.

Haha... Gantz is like that. It doesn't have the best of endings though.. You might want to switch to the manga when you're near episode 13. It's much better.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dilzo999
My god Toriko gets even more ridiculous every chapter, hands down best shonen arc this year.

I like what they've done with the anime... It's just as badly drawn (even though it's a much more colourful). They've stuck to the manga like glue. Also yes... The adventures do get increasingly bizarre. ( a bit like jojo.)

hmm best shounen arc this year eh? I quite liked fairy tails. Naruto is going strong as well.
Do you guys have a favourite new manga that released this year?

Spoiler

Been having a small break from anime mainly due to illness actually :frown: however I hope everyone enjoyed some or all of their secret santa presents and i'll be releasing who gave what in the near future :tongue:
Reply 6213
Haha... Gantz is like that. It doesn't have the best of endings though.. You might to switch to the manga when you're near episode 13. It's much better.

I found the manga much better so I've been reading that. I'm so confused right now, I have no idea whats going on. Aliens, super-powers, a mass-murdering spree, the alien in the real world etc.
I like what they've done with the anime... It's just as badly drawn (even though it's a much more colourful). They've stuck to the manga like glue. Also yes... The adventures do get increasingly bizarre. ( a bit like jojo.)

hmm best shounen arc this year eh? I quite liked fairy tails. Naruto is going strong as well.

Fairy tail could have been executed way better, Naruto has been piss poor as well, it's the last arc and Tobi/Obito is pretty much a joke to be honest. The only other manga that I think could rival Toriko for that spot would be One Piece's Dressrosa arc. (Also the anime of Toriko is pretty bad just read the manga).

Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Been having a small break from anime mainly due to illness actually :frown: however I hope everyone enjoyed some or all of their secret santa presents and i'll be releasing who gave what in the near future :tongue:

Thanks Nixon, my secret santa was a blast, get well soon :biggrin:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Fairy tail could have been executed way better, Naruto has been piss poor as well, it's the last arc and Tobi/Obito is pretty much a joke to be honest. The only other manga that I think could rival Toriko for that spot would be One Piece's Dressrosa arc. (Also the anime of Toriko is pretty bad just read the manga).

Thanks Nixon, my secret santa was a blast, get well soon :biggrin:.

I haven't read One Piece in a while. I'm currently still where poor old Echiiro oda had a hiatus because he was extremely Ill (Starting of New World.)

I'll paitently wait till next summer. And then catch up in a week.

As for Toriko... The Anime is as good as the Manga... The starting (first volume) was not very good at all, and the anime hasn't improved on the manga at all... they've followed it through and through so far... The manga really picks up from the end of volume 2 anyways...

Each to their own opinion I guess... I quite like the (lengthy) naruto arc.:colondollar:
I haven't read One Piece in a while. I'm currently still where poor old Echiiro oda had a hiatus because he was extremely Ill (Starting of New World.)

I'll paitently wait till next summer. And then catch up in a week.

As for Toriko... The Anime is as good as the Manga... The starting (first volume) was not very good at all, and the anime hasn't improved on the manga at all... they've followed it through and through so far... The manga really picks up from the end of volume 2 anyways...

Each to their own opinion I guess... I quite like the (lengthy) naruto arc.:colondollar:

For me Obito didn't really cut it, all he went on was spewing crap about Rin a million times and then Naruto comes in with his talk no jutsu and that's basically what happened, it was horrible. The only thing that can make this arc better is Madara and I have to say the last few chapters have been pretty good but still doesn't make up for the mess with Obito. I just want him to die already.

Catch up to One Piece ASAP the current arc is amazing, people are considering it to be better than Marineford (I don't think it is though :P).
Original post by nixonsjellybeans

Sorry to hear about your illness. :sadnod: Beelzebub alone has made the Secret Santa worthwhile for me. :biggrin: Looking forward to the big reveal too!

*should probably catch up on One Piece (the anime) as well*
For me Obito didn't really cut it, all he went on was spewing crap about Rin a million times and then Naruto comes in with his talk no jutsu and that's basically what happened, it was horrible. The only thing that can make this arc better is Madara and I have to say the last few chapters have been pretty good but still doesn't make up for the mess with Obito. I just want him to die already.

Catch up to One Piece ASAP the current arc is amazing, people are considering it to be better than Marineford (I don't think it is though :P).

The reason I like the naruto arc is because all those questions I've had in naruto are slowly being answered. I also like the good ol' team 7 reunion.

I want to have enough reading material for one piece... I covered the entire first half (up to marineford) in around a week. I'll patiently wait... I don't want to be surprised with any unexpected hiatuses. My favourite OP arc was skypiea.
Those words at the top my made year...

fairy-tail-4674513.jpg

Latest

Trending

Trending