The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robbie242
Ah nice, what was your UMS avg and how did your interview go?

Yeah Maths at Pembroke :awesome: only 40 applicants this yr so around about 50% chance of receiving an offer

I'm afraid it's not that simple :P, there's the pool to take into account, so you're effectively competing against everyone.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I totally want her :colonhash: I quote... :nah: I won't quote.

Quiet nun. Run back to the Covent :wink:

That nun pic is hilarious! I don't mind it being posted :rofl: Shall I put it up just for you?!
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
That nun pic is hilarious! I don't mind it being posted :rofl: Shall I put it up just for you?!

No. If anyone posts it I'm posting it :colonhash:
The chainsaw will get through that soil and save you.

Or he'll join you in that tight hole :mmm:

Hahaha you do make me laugh :teehee:
Want some reading material? :tongue:

Please :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. If anyone posts it I'm posting it :colonhash:

nun.jpg
Robbie242
x

If you ever wanted revenge, here it is :rofl:

N... No homo :mmm:
Original post by Lucy96
Hahaha you do make me laugh :teehee:

Please :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad to be of service :pierre:

Although I hear Occams' services are out of this world.
Glad to be of service :pierre:

Although I hear Occams' services are out of this world.

Thank you, I'll bear that in mind :sexface: :toofunny:
Original post by Lucy96
Thank you, I'll bear that in mind :sexface: :toofunny:

:giggle:

I said I'd stop so I'll stop :wink:
nun.jpg

If you ever wanted revenge, here it is :rofl:

N... No homo :mmm:

Oh you lad.

I am going to the browser just to rep you.
:toofunny:
Original post by HarryMWilliams
It's never too late to join a TSR thread.

On a fly-by visit from university land, remembering my time on this thread (or a varient anyway) last year! :tongue:

What you studying, + do you wish you knew something before that would didn't know then? As in any tips?

Come on then, chief; let's av ya! :ahee:

My school is a selective state school with a dedicated Oxbridge programme so I do have the upper-hand there and they'll definitely factor that in when considering your app :redface:

DJM is a Pembroke mathmo too?! Damn, I thought Trinity was the place to be for that since thats where they train the olympiad team!
Good luck to you! I haven't seen you post much maths but I'm sure you'll do alright :yep:

Is that you in your avi? You look like you bench press, if so how much and are tall as a mountain :wink: See what I did there :tongue:
Original post by Blueray2
x

I'm studying a degree in Biomedical Science (the crowd goes wild!) and, to answer your question, not really, I did a lot of research and this course will act as a perfect spring board into postgraduate study so I'm happy.

What are you thinking of studying?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I'm afraid it's not that simple :P, there's the pool to take into account, so you're effectively competing against everyone.

Haha that's true :tongue: but if we say for the sake of straight offers then its near enough on point
Oh you lad.

I am going to the browser just to rep you.
:toofunny:

Effort :wink:

Original post by Blueray2
Is that you in your avi? You look like you bench press, if so how much and are tall as a mountain :wink: See what I did there :tongue:

'Tis indeed. I've been known to thrift from time to time. :pierre: You 'mirin? :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Come on then, chief; let's av ya! :ahee:

My school is a selective state school with a dedicated Oxbridge programme so I do have the upper-hand there and they'll definitely factor that in when considering your app :redface:

DJM is a Pembroke mathmo too?! Damn, I thought Trinity was the place to be for that since thats where they train the olympiad team!
Good luck to you! I haven't seen you post much maths but I'm sure you'll do alright :yep:

Ah I see very lucky :tongue: My school were pants when it came to advice, all Oxford Mathmos got rejected due to the fact that they all failed the MAT :eek:

Cheers Occams, you're not really that bad when it comes down to it lol
Ah I see very lucky :tongue: My school were pants when it came to advice, all Oxford Mathmos got rejected due to the fact that they all failed the MAT :eek:

:eek: You say 'all' - how many were there?! We didn't have many applicants wanting to do maths :lol:

Don't say that :K: I have a rep to maintain :ninja:

On the note of Occams question how many Oxbridge applicants at your school?
:eek: You say 'all' - how many were there?! We didn't have many applicants wanting to do maths :lol:

Don't say that :K: I have a rep to maintain :ninja:

3 Mathmos

soz brah ur turning a bit beta

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
On the note of Occams question how many Oxbridge applicants at your school?

6 Oxford 4 Cambridge
All 6 Oxford applicants got rejected pre-interview and all 4 Cambridge applicants were given an interview
Ugh, can't stand the wait for my inevitable Cambridge rejection. What's worse is that everyone seems to think I'll get an offer. My family have little understanding of how competitive Oxbridge is so they're saying things like "well you got Durham and Bristol and you're good at interviewing so you'll get Cambridge". I'd obviously love an offer but I'd be extremely happy at three of my other choices so for me whatever comes in the letter next week it isn't the end of the world, unlike for some people. However I can't help but feel more worried by the fact everyone seems to be expecting an offer to come through - I have a feeling there will be people more disappointed than me.

/rant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Endless Blue
Ugh, can't stand the wait for my inevitable Cambridge rejection. What's worse is that everyone seems to think I'll get an offer. My family have little understanding of how competitive Oxbridge is so they're saying things like "well you got Durham and Bristol and you're good at interviewing so you'll get Cambridge". I'd obviously love an offer but I'd be extremely happy at three of my other choices so for me whatever comes in the letter next week it isn't the end of the world, unlike for some people. However I can't help but feel more worried by the fact everyone seems to be expecting an offer to come through - I have a feeling there will be people more disappointed than me.

/rant

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can sympathise - everyone thinks because of my journey from GCSE to A-level being so unique means that I'll stand a good chance at getting an offer, but then I've gotta take a step back and look at the whole situation, 86.17% ums average is beyond uncompetitive for Maths and yeah I messed up on some pretty basic things at interview. My family aren't being too unrealistic though, they say I stand a good chance at an offer but if not ''you'll have a great time at Warwick'' which is undoubtedly true, its just that I don't see how I can get a straight offer with such a terrible UMS average... it annoys me because I'm pretty sure if I was privately educated I would've absolutely smashed my AS-levels to pieces but I've had to cope with so much **** which would make me seem ''uncompetitive''. I'm preparing for a rejection as well, always expect the worse and then you won't be devastated on the day... it's not as straight forward as good interview :yy: offer! its more complicated but I literally have no idea what I'll get on the 4th
Original post by Endless Blue

/rant

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I got my Oxford rejection, I was in a very similar mind set as you. I was, of course, disheartened but it wasn't the end of the world; there are still two more options (well, technically three but let's rule out Imperial after the BMAT :tongue:) and getting just one offer will (kinda) sort my life. The thing that got to me thought was thinking that I'd let people down, that people would be disappointed in me etc. but none of what I thought was true: no one has been disappointed in me or felt that I've let them down...they've all actually been very sympathetic and supportive about it! And loads of people were expecting me to get an offer from them, which I know from experience is very hard to deal with when you think you have no chance (as I did, after my BMAT) but as I said, they've all been sympathetic. To add to everything, everyone in my further maths class (we see each other everyday, so we know each other well) had an interview at Oxbridge whereas I got rejected without interview...but no one looked down on me or anything, everyone was very nice about it. :tongue:

Just hang in there, I know it's very hard but it'll all be fine. :smile:

Latest