The Student Room Group

Are these A level suitable for these degrees?

I'm taking Maths, Further maths, Physics, History and French for AS level, then dropping either FM or Physics for my second year.

These are the degrees I'm interested in:

Economics and Management
History and Economics
PPE

Are my A level choices suitable for these degrees? I'm worried I will need economics to cope with the degree content even though none of these degrees list economics as a requirement. The only required/recommended subjects are Maths and History which I'm taking, but I'm still sceptical.

Any advice?

P.s my school doesn't offer economics or philosophy or politics, please don't suggest me studying somewhere else as I've rigidly decided to stay on my school.
It seems to me like you've chosen which uni you want to study at not which course you want to study, which is the wrong way around.
Original post by x__justmyluck
It seems to me like you've chosen which uni you want to study at not which course you want to study, which is the wrong way around.

I know that would seem the case but I can honestly say I haven't. Plus I don't quite agree as all of those degrees are available at several universities? I'm guessing you're thinking that I've chosen Oxford as where I want to study, but I'd be happy studying at any University offering these degrees (Of course I want to aim as high as possible), Oxford just happens to offer all of these degrees.
Yeah those are fine. Maths is essential for Econ, history is essential for history and ties in well for politics and French shows diversity :smile: it's good!
Reply 4
Take Physics over Further Maths for year 2 if you're thinking of applying to LSE.
Original post by Calllu-m
Yeah those are fine. Maths is essential for Econ, history is essential for history and ties in well for politics and French shows diversity :smile: it's good!

That's good to hear, thank you! :groovy:
Original post by muonz
Take Physics over Further Maths for year 2 if you're thinking of applying to LSE.

why?:confused:
Original post by muonz

Why?
Reply 8
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2014/economics/L101_BSc_Econ.aspx

For Economics. Might be different for the other courses you're thinking of.

EDIT: Never mind, realised you're doing four A2 subjects, most do three, haha.
Original post by muonz
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2014/economics/L101_BSc_Econ.aspx

For Economics. Might be different for the other courses you're thinking of.

EDIT: Never mind, realised you're doing four A2 subjects, most do three, haha.

I'll make sure that I only take FM to A2 if I'm doing four A2 subjects. IF I do three then I won't.
Original post by Tarquin Digby
Don't worry about not being able to do politics, philosophy or economics at A level- they certainly are not necessary for any of those courses. I would advise against dropping further maths in your second year though.

Thanks, any particular reason why? I thought that FM would be more helpful that Physics for an Economics related degree?
Original post by Tarquin Digby
Hence why I advised against it. :smile:

Sorry I misread your post! I read it as advising me to drop FM. My mistake:colondollar:
Reply 12
Original post by Frannoooooooo
I'll make sure that I only take FM to A2 if I'm doing four A2 subjects. IF I do three then I won't.

Yeah, if you're doing four A2s then your combination is a very good one if you drop physics. If three then yes, Physics > FM if going for LSE.

Good luck!
Reply 13
I'm taking Maths, Further maths, Physics, History and French for AS level, then dropping either FM or Physics for my second year.

Economics and Management
History and Economics
PPE

Are my A level choices suitable for these degrees? I'm worried I will need economics to cope with the degree content even though none of these degrees list economics as a requirement. The only required/recommended subjects are Maths and History which I'm taking, but I'm still sceptical.

Any advice?

P.s my school doesn't offer economics or philosophy or politics, please don't suggest me studying somewhere else as I've rigidly decided to stay on my school.

Depends which university, as entry requirements can differ with the syllabus.

A few random examples:
BSc Economics & Management at Leeds: GCSE Maths grade A, GCSE English Grade B, AAA at A Level in any subjects.

BA Modern History & Economics at Manchester: ABB at A Level to include History, plus either Economics or Maths (the A must be in one of those three specified subjects).

BA Politics, Philosophy & Economics at York: A*AA at A Level, or AAA if one of those is Maths. Economics or Business Studies A Level will be accepted, but not both (neither is a requirement). No other specified subjects.

So with your subjects... For Leeds, you'll be fine if you have the GCSE grades and meet the A Level grade requirements. Ditto Manchester and York.

In short, yes, your A Levels will get you in to a range of unis for the three degrees that you list as long as you hit the grades. I suspect that Economics isn't compulsory, as it isn't as widely taught in schools as some other subjects, as you've found. Frankly if Oxford doesn't deem Economics necessary for their PPE degree, then that's probably as good as it will get as far as quelling your scepticism.
Reply 14

Economics and Management
History and Economics
PPE

Any advice?

Yes your choices are more than perfect to study those degrees. In fact, you have 5 facilitating subjects which is more than enough. Make sure you can cope with them before taking 5. For economics you need maths for history you usually need history (Oxford and LSE don't ask for it though) for PPE i think you need maths. So they're perfectly fine.
A word of advice: if you are applying to Oxford bear in mind that joint honours are MUCH more competitive and harder to get in, usually.
Original post by Klix88
Depends which university, as entry requirements can differ with the syllabus.

A few random examples:
BSc Economics & Management at Leeds: GCSE Maths grade A, GCSE English Grade B, AAA at A Level in any subjects.

BA Modern History & Economics at Manchester: ABB at A Level to include History, plus either Economics or Maths (the A must be in one of those three specified subjects).

BA Politics, Philosophy & Economics at York: A*AA at A Level, or AAA if one of those is Maths. Economics or Business Studies A Level will be accepted, but not both (neither is a requirement). No other specified subjects.

So with your subjects... For Leeds, you'll be fine if you have the GCSE grades and meet the A Level grade requirements. Ditto Manchester and York.

In short, yes, your A Levels will get you in to a range of unis for the three degrees that you list as long as you hit the grades. I suspect that Economics isn't compulsory, as it isn't as widely taught in schools as some other subjects, as you've found. Frankly if Oxford doesn't deem Economics necessary for their PPE degree, then that's probably as good as it will get as far as quelling your scepticism.

Thank you for you're reply & for your examples. I'm pretty confident I can get those grades and yes Oxford doesn't require Economics but I was slightly worried that it was one of those things which isn't formally required but secretly it will give you a huge advantage if you get what I mean?
Original post by arminb
Yes your choices are more than perfect to study those degrees. In fact, you have 5 facilitating subjects which is more than enough. Make sure you can cope with them before taking 5. For economics you need maths for history you usually need history (Oxford and LSE don't ask for it though) for PPE i think you need maths. So they're perfectly fine.
A word of advice: if you are applying to Oxford bear in mind that joint honours are MUCH more competitive and harder to get in, usually.

I'll only take 4 to A2 though and I've spoken to people and they've said from my GCSE grades they think I'll be able to handle the workload (Of course GCSE workload isn't comparable to A-level but..). I'm also aware joint honours are significantly harder but it's worth applying even if I don't get in. I'll still be happy studying at another University.

Quick Reply

Latest