What A Levels should I take to study either BioChem or Physics at University? Watch

noxxie013
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am currently choosing my subjects for A Level but I am not sure what to chose. I want to study Biochemistry or Physics (or other courses similar, such as Biotechnology, Theoretical Physics etc) at University and I'm not sure which one, so I was hoping that I wouldn't end up cancelling one or the other out by choosing bad A Levels.

I was thinking of taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics but I head that taking all three sciences is exceptionally tough as well as the addition of Maths. And I also heard Universities like diversity in your courses, as in, if you had one course which was more like History or Philosophy or something to show you can write essays and manage the very different subjects, was good.

So I'm not sure what to do. I want to not cancel either BioChem or out by not doing Biology or Chemistry but in order to not cancel Physics out, I need both Physics and Maths. If I were to do Physics at University, Chemistry and Biology would be pretty useless. However, if I chose to do Biochemistry at University, Physics would be pretty useless.. so I am not sure what I should do about this.

Any advice is helpful and greatly appreciated.
danielat998
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's a difficult one but I would say if you're sure you want to keep those two options open take all four and maybe drop one after AS by which time you will probably have a better idea about which you would rather do at uni. I wouldn't worry too much about diversity. Some universities like it but it's certainly not essential.
noxxie013
Rep:
?
Thank you danielat998. I know universities don't necessarily ask for a diverse selection choice, and so if I did take all four would it help if I did extracurricular activities (like various clubs and societies) which showed that possible diversity.
danielat998
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by noxxie013)
Thank you danielat998. I know universities don't necessarily ask for a diverse selection choice, and so if I did take all four would it help if I did extracurricular activities (like various clubs and societies) which showed that possible diversity.
universities always love extracurricular activities so would definitely be worth doing
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am currently choosing my subjects for A Level but I am not sure what to chose. I want to study Biochemistry or Physics (or other courses similar, such as Biotechnology, Theoretical Physics etc) at University and I'm not sure which one, so I was hoping that I wouldn't end up cancelling one or the other out by choosing bad A Levels.

I was thinking of taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics but I head that taking all three sciences is exceptionally tough as well as the addition of Maths. And I also heard Universities like diversity in your courses, as in, if you had one course which was more like History or Philosophy or something to show you can write essays and manage the very different subjects, was good.

So I'm not sure what to do. I want to not cancel either BioChem or out by not doing Biology or Chemistry but in order to not cancel Physics out, I need both Physics and Maths. If I were to do Physics at University, Chemistry and Biology would be pretty useless. However, if I chose to do Biochemistry at University, Physics would be pretty useless.. so I am not sure what I should do about this.

Biochem = chem, bio
Physics = maths, physics and maybe even fm

so you're gonna have to take maths chem bio phys
cuckoo99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Chemistry is not useless for a physics degree there is a whole area of Chemistry devoted to Physical chemical processes. If you cant make you're mind up now about biochem or physics i would suggest doing Maths,Physics,Chemistry,Biology to cover all areas . I wouldn't worry too much about mixing it up with the arts btw unless you are thinking of doing medicine.
Lord Frieza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I say take Physics, Bio, Chem and Maths.

Whatever you struggle with and start to HATE (I guarantee one of the 4 you will begin to) then drop that and go for the other.

It's good you have open options, too many people stick to medicine and then realise the work load is too much only to be trapped with A levels they hate!
noxxie013
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lord Frieza)
I say take Physics, Bio, Chem and Maths.

Whatever you struggle with and start to HATE (I guarantee one of the 4 you will begin to) then drop that and go for the other.

It's good you have open options, too many people stick to medicine and then realise the work load is too much only to be trapped with A levels they hate!
I don't as much want to go into Medicine, not at all really, I love those subjects. I have a couple of months to decide what I want to do, but I guess I'll most likely take Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths and then have extracurricular activities on the side.
jadpan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Biol, chem, physics and maths/further maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Take Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths and (if you want to do theoretical physics at a good university) Further Maths.

Keeps your options open, and if you find you don't like one, just drop it.
Lord Frieza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't as much want to go into Medicine, not at all really, I love those subjects. I have a couple of months to decide what I want to do, but I guess I'll most likely take Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths and then have extracurricular activities on the side.

Oh yeah, well I meant people in general go for medicine.

But Physics and Maths are AWESOME subjects. For your EC activities, I really recommend getting good at a sport so you're more than brains.

Good luck!
dillinger66
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing biochem, I got in fine with Chemistry, Maths and music. In terms of biology, it's definitely not necessary, but you'll notice a disparity in the perceived workload in first year, in that people who took biology as well will find some things really easy that are completely novel concepts to you. Essentially it means you'll learn the entire biology A level in first year, it's what I did. That's doable though, it's not a hard subject; I'm now just as qualified as my peers in final year. Possibly doing something non-sciency would be good to show you are rounded, but not necessary if you've got that kind of stuff for past-times/extracurricular I wouldn't think. I can't really say about physics, but out of chemistry and biology, chemistry definitely bears more relevance, what with the quantum side of things (electron spins and energy levels, etc.).
Nora R. Chloe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I guess you should do AS in four of them, and then you could drop a subject in which you have the lowest mark. But doing them all is the best option, though tough to maintain. Anyways, best of luck!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (278)
65.88%
No (144)
34.12%

Watched Threads