The Student Room Group

Do employers give bad references?

I got fired for no reason from my last job, because I wasn't given a reason I don't know whether I was bad or not the job.

I need to apply for a new job but they are my only work experience, I don't have others. Should I put them as a reference?
I wouldn't put them as a reference to be honest. Contrary to popular belief, employers can give bad references, and they might well mention that you were fired.

If you do put them down on your CV though, as scrupulous as it sounds and as much hate as I'll surely get for saying this, I'd fake a reference and give contact details of a willing family member or friend with a different surname to you. Likelihood is they won't ask for a reference at most jobs if you're just looking for basic ones to get experience, but if they do you don't want to miss out on a job when it's so competitive right now.

Or on the other side of that you could get a personal character reference from that person, alot of employers might not realise that's what you're actually giving rather than am employer reference.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Do some voluntary work while your looking for work then you can put them down. It also shows you want to work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Employers are allowed to give references that are good or bad, as long as they are truthful and fair. If you were sacked from your previous job I wouldn't put them as a reference to be honest as they are likely to say why you were sacked, and their reasoning behind it. You could just make a reference up from someone you know and trust on the off chance they do contact referees, it's a bit cheeky because you didn't really work for them but I can't see how you will be caught out.
Reply 4
Hi,

First of all, you need to get in touch with your employer and ask for the reason as by law you are entitled to a reason. Based on the reason you can be entitled to a compensation if you have been dismissed unfairly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hkiani94
Hi,

First of all, you need to get in touch with your employer and ask for the reason as by law you are entitled to a reason. Based on the reason you can be entitled to a compensation if you have been dismissed unfairly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree.
By law you are entitled to a reason as to why you where sacked. So id get back in touch with them and ask for an explanation (if they dont give you one- take it further).

Like others have said, id put someone down on your cv who can give you a character reference, such as a family friend. And if you have done any voluntary work, work experience or have had any other jobs, then use them for references. If a future employer asks about why you havent put anyone from the job you got sacked from as a reference, then just use the excuse that the supervisor has left since then (hence you dont know anyone from there any more who could give you a reference).
Reply 6
Hi,

Based on the reason you can be entitled to a compensation if you have been dismissed unfairly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not strictly true as it only applies if you have been employed for a minimum of 2 years for all employees employed on or after 6th April 2012.

This does not or all employees employed on or after 6th April 2012 apply to those employed before this date.

Also employers can't give out 'bad' references but they must give out truthful and factual
references which will state the reason of said employee leaving.

However to protect themselves employers will refuse to provide a references to those who were fired simply to protect themselves from any potential legal action.
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think this is good advice. You have a right to know and surely you must want to know for your own peace of mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending