University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
Original post by Sammydemon
Everywhere. Students used to just work before the exams and do nothing in the year but attend lectures and take notes/do any continuous assessment. Now everybody is "busy" all the time. Jovial.

That's bad and good at the same time, bad as in you wouldn't have fun but good as in your chances of graduating with a 1st will increase!!

Btw are you doing your PHD at Leicester?
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by 0xygen
That's bad and good at the same time, bad as in you wouldn't have fun but good as in your chances of graduating with a 1st will increase!!

Sod the 1st, I'd take three years of sex, drugs (booze and fags of course) and rock 'n' roll over that any day.

EDIT: Probably PhD there, yes. It wasn't my original plan but if they want me, how could I say no?
Reply 1082
Sod the 1st, I'd take three years of sex, drugs (booze and fags of course) and rock 'n' roll over that any day.

EDIT: Probably PhD there, yes. It wasn't my original plan but if they want me, how could I say no?

Why were people telling me that the Leicester freshers don't study? I think the people that are constantly studying are 2nd years+ especially MSc students and PhD
Original post by 0xygen
Why were people telling me that the Leicester freshers don't study? I think the people that are constantly studying are 2nd years+ especially MSc students and PhD

I think freshers in most universities don't do a lot of study. They then regret it and spend the rest of their degrees trying to make up for it. Silly really.
Reply 1084
I think freshers in most universities don't do a lot of study. They then regret it and spend the rest of their degrees trying to make up for it. Silly really.

Yeah, I dunno I think it depends on the course really.. Some are way easier than others hence require less effort and dedication.

At the end of the day everyone who goes to university has an end goal, a perception of the future, and they want to make it there by any means...

BUT some universities aka Leicester only vaguely explain their course and don't give you enough information on graduate prospects (seems as if they are trying to hide it, as if people don't get into top jobs)
Original post by 0xygen

BUT some universities aka Leicester only vaguely explain their course and don't give you enough information on graduate prospects (seems as if they are trying to hide it, as if people don't get into top jobs)

They don't want to give false hope. it would be a serious miss-sell if a university were to promise a life of luxury after completing a degree with them. Go to open days/send e-mails if you want more detailed information.
Reply 1086
They don't want to give false hope. it would be a serious miss-sell if a university were to promise a life of luxury after completing a degree with them. Go to open days/send e-mails if you want more detailed information.

That could be the reason why Leicester isn't in the top 10.

1 - It doesn't teach advanced modules but teaches necessary modules.

2 - It is very vague, they never explain anything properly e.g. Show you a list of the modules you can take in the third year, but instead tend to say:

There are a wide variety of modules you can choose, including:

A,b,c,d

Then the user {applicant} is sitting their like "what about the rest of the modules? do I have to attend an open day to find out what they are?"

3 - They barely provide you with information on graduate prospects but tend to say: 90% of students are working and 10% unemployed.

The applicant will then be like:

"What are they working", "Who could they work for", "What businesses does the university have close links with"

4 - It seems like student satisfaction is what's getting Leicester's ranking up, the students are finding the area + fellow students friendly.

I dunno, it seems like it has pretty good ratings but is still in need of many changes for it to be a top 10 university.
Original post by 0xygen

2 - It is very vague, they never explain anything properly e.g. Show you a list of the modules you can take in the third year, but instead tend to say:

A,b,c,d

Then the user {applicant} is sitting their like "what about the rest of the modules? do I have to attend an open day to find out what they are?"

3 - They barely provide you with information on graduate prospects but tend to say: 90% of students are working and 10% unemployed.

"What are they working", "Who could they work for", "What businesses does the university have close links with"

4 - It seems like student satisfaction is what's getting Leicester's ranking up, the students are finding the area + fellow students friendly.

I dunno, it seems like it has pretty good ratings but is still in need of many changes for it to be a top 10 university.

Most university prospectuses are like this, I think their job is to get you interested, make you think of questions you could potentially ask on open/ucas visit days to find out more before you make your firm/insurance choice. So you could say that they have worked on you.

You can't say that leicester does not teach advanced modules. Tell the department that on open days and see what type of response you would get haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1088
Original post by Hart1995
Most university prospectuses are like this, I think their job is to get you interested, make you think of questions you could potentially ask on open/ucas visit days to find out more before you make your firm/insurance choice. So you could say that they have worked on you.

You can't say that leicester does not teach advanced modules. Tell the department that on open days and see what type of response you would get haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ofcourse I'm not going to say that to their face...

I'm basing most of my knowledge on the CompSci course, they are ranked 16th (I think) to 23rd but their CS course doesn't include advanced modules.
Original post by 0xygen

A,b,c,d

You're deriving a lot from the website/prospectus. you should already know what jobs you can get with your degree. Student satisfaction is course quality and teaching, nothing to do with the area.
Reply 1090
You're deriving a lot from the website/prospectus. you should already know what jobs you can get with your degree. Student satisfaction is course quality and teaching, nothing to do with the area.

Yeah, I dunno, maybe I'm not familiar with how universities work yet.

Btw in your mind and from your experience would you say that Leicester uni is better than queen mary London and nottingham ?
Original post by 0xygen
Yeah, I dunno, maybe I'm not familiar with how universities work yet.

Btw in your mind and from your experience would you say that Leicester uni is better than queen mary London and nottingham ?

It's very hard to just say if a university is "better" or not because there are so many variables. Nottingham is known as being somewhat more of an elite/elitist university compared to Leicester, but its course quality is not necessarily better. They have more money though. I don't know anything about Queen Mary, though should be a clue though, in terms of chemistry anyway :wink:
Reply 1092
It's very hard to just say if a university is "better" or not because there are so many variables. Nottingham is known as being somewhat more of an elite/elitist university compared to Leicester, but its course quality is not necessarily better. They have more money though. I don't know anything about Queen Mary, though should be a clue though, in terms of chemistry anyway :wink:

Didn't know that Nottingham was known as an "elite" university... I didn't apply to it because they were lower than Leicester on league tables.

Would you say Leicester is still classed as a respected / reputable university? or is it average...
Original post by 0xygen
Didn't know that Nottingham was known as an "elite" university... I didn't apply to it because they were lower than Leicester on league tables.

Would you say Leicester is still classed as a respected / reputable university? or is it average...

Leicester is considered to be a very well respected university these days...

http://www.theguardian.com/education/table/2013/jun/03/university-league-table-2014
13th

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/University_Guide/
14th

Subjects:
http://www.theguardian.com/education/table/2013/jun/04/university-guide-chemistry
3rd

http://www.theguardian.com/education/table/2013/jun/04/university-guide-biosciences
3rd

http://www.theguardian.com/education/table/2013/jun/04/university-guide-physics
9th
Original post by 0xygen
Huh? Why are the required grades still ABB then?

Because the university prides its self on not demanding only AAA students because of course getting high grades does not make you the perfect student.

ABB is still a damned good A-level result, far better than what I achieved (CCD) and now I am looking to PhD research, what does that tell you?
Reply 1096
Because the university prides its self on not demanding only AAA students because of course getting high grades does not make you the perfect student.

ABB is still a damned good A-level result, far better than what I achieved (CCD) and now I am looking to PhD research, what does that tell you?

Surprising.

Btw its only ranked 3rd on the Guardian, on the other one its ranked 27th I think
Original post by 0xygen
Surprising.

Btw its only ranked 3rd on the Guardian, on the other one its ranked 27th I think

Main one to look at is 'the complete university guide 2014'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1098
All league tables seem innacrate to me.. They don't rank the quality of the teaching but focus more on student satisfaction etc
Reply 1099

Hey Sammy (Guessing that's your name), how long do "Open Days" or UCAS applicant days usually last? Need to book a train ticket.
They said that it starts at 9:30 I think... I need to book a return ticket.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending