The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Bit meh. Wondering if I'm just getting bored of DW (or at leas the current writing of DW). Felt like it was trying to squeeze too many things in at once and just urgh.

Same. :frown: I found both the 50th and this one completely underwhelming.

Did noone else have a problem with how at the start of this last series we are expected to accept that the Doctor was 200 years older without any aging but then in this episode after 300 years there is some extreme ageing?
Original post by SirMasterKey
Same. :frown: I found both the 50th and this one completely underwhelming.

Did noone else have a problem with how at the start of this last series we are expected to accept that the Doctor was 200 years older without any aging but then in this episode after 300 years there is some extreme ageing?

There wasn't really extreme aging for the 300 years, just a few greying streaks - I don't think it was mentioned how long it was between the return of the TARDIS with Clara hanging on, and the heavily aged Doctor at the end... :dontknow:
Reply 3022
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
There wasn't really extreme aging for the 300 years, just a few greying streaks - I don't think it was mentioned how long it was between the return of the TARDIS with Clara hanging on, and the heavily aged Doctor at the end... :dontknow:

It does - he says he's stayed in Christmas for 300 years as its protector. I too was wondering why he aged so heavily but just put it down to the fact that he was on his final regeneration and therefore could age - whereas before he couldn't.
Reply 3023
Original post by randomd_love
It does - he says he's stayed in Christmas for 300 years as its protector. I too was wondering why he aged so heavily but just put it down to the fact that he was on his final regeneration and therefore could age - whereas before he couldn't.

As did I but now that it's been pointed out it is odd why he hadn't shown physical aging in The Impossible Astronaut when 200 years had passed, since it is still essentially his last regeneration.
Reply 3024
Why does aging have to be of a constant rate? Can it not be variable? Perhaps in Timelords, aging is a lot more gradual for a certain number of years and then becomes a little bit more rapid as the years go on? That kind of happens to humans, they can get to a certain age and then poof, sudden deterioration, it's not unrealistic for the same to happen to Timelords.
Other gripe is that if we take his age now as 1500 more than 1/3 (c.500+ years) of his life he has been Matt Smith. That seems too extreme to be perfectly honest.
Other gripe is that if we take his age now as 1500 more than 1/3 (c.500+ years) of his life he has been Matt Smith. That seems too extreme to be perfectly honest.

The Doctor now must be way way older than 1500 because He had only aged a little by 300 years when Clara came back and the war started.Now lets think Matt is 31 and he looked only about early 40s after 300 years and at the end of the episode he looked about late 70s so he must have spent around 1200 years in Christmas town by my calculations so The Doctor is around 2400 years old.We know The Doctor is lying about his age though because John Hurts War Doctor also died of all age making the Doctor already 1200 years old plus all the years before John Hurt-We also have to take into account the massive aging of Sylvestor Mccoy's and Paul McGann's Doctors too.Lets just say The Doctor is probably about 10000 years old.
Reply 3027

It's Moffat. I'm pretty sure he's trying to make it so we definitely can't forget him when he leaves as the showrunner by having his Doctor be the one who has lived the longest, been the youngest actor, and had the worst episodes and most convoluted story archs.
Original post by chernid
It's Moffat. I'm pretty sure he's trying to make it so we definitely can't forget him when he leaves as the showrunner by having his Doctor be the one who has lived the longest, been the youngest actor, and had the worst episodes and most convoluted story archs.

Some of the episodes from the last season were definitely rather poor. I know people keep going on and on about the speech at the end of the "Rings of Akhaten", but speech or no speech, it was a fairly rubbish episode. The same applies to "Hide" (one of the most wishy-washiest endings I've ever seen) and "The Power of Three" (It literally embodies the quick solution trope).

"The Snowmen" is another personal gripe for me, given the fact that the Great Intelligence just seemed to say, "Bugger it, I'm off to Tibet to build some Yeti" and stop trying to take over the world.
Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam
Some of the episodes from the last season were definitely rather poor. I know people keep going on and on about the speech at the end of the "Rings of Akhaten", but speech or no speech, it was a fairly rubbish episode. The same applies to "Hide" (one of the most wishy-washiest endings I've ever seen) and "The Power of Three" (It literally embodies the quick solution trope).

"The Snowmen" is another personal gripe for me, given the fact that the Great Intelligence just seemed to say, "Bugger it, I'm off to Tibet to build some Yeti" and stop trying to take over the world.

What was wrong with Hide's ending? :s-smilie:
Original post by Maid Marian
What was wrong with Hide's ending? :s-smilie:

I just felt that it was a bit rushed and emotionally sappy, I know that it was meant to offer a more positive spin on the "Haunted House" concept, but it just felt unnecessary and they could have presented a more intriguing take on the idea without the alien.
Original post by paddyman4
So this is basically Tennant's first scene:

1. It is the worst scene in new Doctor Who. It is just SO embarrassing. From *FIGHTING HAND* to the even cringier and much cheesier *no second chances*.

2, It didn't show you the kind of doctor he turned out to be. In this scene he is violent - he sword fights (albeit with incredibly, incredibly lazy sword-fighting choreography).. When is he ever violent again? He never fights again! And in this scene he kills a man without even hesitating, and without the slightest hint of regret. That, again, is the exact opposite of how his character turned out.

The kidney joke could not have been funny, it was a badly written joke,

You forgot when he burned and drowned the Empress of Racnoss along with her children in the Runaway Bride episode? He did this with her screaming for the deaths of her children. Not to mention his egotistical 'Time Lord victorious' after changing time and bragging about it. David Tennants Doctor had some pretty ruthless lines and scenes.
Reply 3032
Yeah anyone who suggests that David Tennant's doctor wasn't ruthless is completely wrong. Also remember the Family of Blood? Sure he gave them a chance but afterwards he punished them for an eternity.
Original post by muonz
Yeah anyone who suggests that David Tennant's doctor wasn't ruthless is completely wrong. Also remember the Family of Blood? Sure he gave them a chance but afterwards he punished them for an eternity.

Personally i think the Doctor has to be ruthless in the post-time war world and that's why i loved Christopher and Tennant, you believed that their characters were capable of genocide. Smith while having the great quirk of a Doctor never really gave the impression that he'd wiped out 2 species.
Reply 3034
Original post by Rakas21
Personally i think the Doctor has to be ruthless in the post-time war world and that's why i loved Christopher and Tennant, you believed that their characters were capable of genocide. Smith while having the great quirk of a Doctor never really gave the impression that he'd wiped out 2 species.

I completely agree. At points during his tenure I did get the impression he simply wanted to forget about the Time War and reinvent himself.
Reply 3035

Yeah, same. The worst bit of "Hide" for me was at the end where the Doctor said "This is not a ghost story, this is a love story", which ruined the episode for me
Original post by paddyman4
So this is basically Tennant's first scene:

1. It is the worst scene in new Doctor Who. It is just SO embarrassing. From *FIGHTING HAND* to the even cringier and much cheesier *no second chances*.

2, It didn't show you the kind of doctor he turned out to be. In this scene he is violent - he sword fights (albeit with incredibly, incredibly lazy sword-fighting choreography).. When is he ever violent again? He never fights again! And in this scene he kills a man without even hesitating, and without the slightest hint of regret. That, again, is the exact opposite of how his character turned out.

The kidney joke could not have been funny, it was a badly written joke,

I feel it important to add that the Doctor has always been an expert sword fighter, even in the Classic days.
Original post by snowyowl
I feel it important to add that the Doctor has always been an expert sword fighter, even in the Classic days.

"What are you doing? He's meant to be the best swordsman in France!"
"Thankfully for us, we are in England."

-The Kings Daemons

Personally I find that to be one of the best lines ever spoken in Doctor Who history.
"What are you doing? He's meant to be the best swordsman in France!"
"Thankfully for us, we are in England."

-The Kings Daemons

Personally I find that to be one of the best lines ever spoken in Doctor Who history.

Peter Davison :love:

Definitely one of the better Doctors. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by snowyowl

They could have spent 5 minutes choreographing something worthy of an expert sword fighter for that scene then.

Quick Reply

Latest