The Student Room Group

What would you do if your sibling was called fat?

They (sister or brother) come home from school, crying, and say a kid in their class called them fat. Would you;

say they should lose weight
or directly address the person who called them fat, either firmly or knock the kid out :tongue:?

or something else?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Confront and insult them back.

One boy threatened to smack my sisters head off the curb. I made sure he knew I exist, have not seen him since.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
My little brothers are going through hell as they are mixed race but are the size 7 year olds should be and are called fat, ugly (that is a lie as they are well handsome ♡♥♡), they are told there mom is this, I am that and all i tell them to do is just throw it back at the person with a little truth thrown in.

I wish I could go back to my 7 year old self with the strength I have now and whoop some kids asses as its not fair that my lovely little brothers are being bullied for being mixed race in a predominantly black school it's also a catholic school so it's madness. I just don't like seeing my little brothers unhappy :frown:.

I have gone to a few parents my age group in the playground and told them nicely to make sure there kid isn't bothering my brothers that seems to of worked but there are still a few that my mom has spoken to but lord knows they better make there kids behave or they ain't gonna like my other side lol :smile:.
I call him fat all the time!
Reply 4
They more or less get a lunchtime detention for fighting on a daily but the other kid starts it and my bros finish it.
Reply 5
Original post by Ripper-Roo
They (sister or brother) come home from school, crying, and say a kid in their class called them fat. Would you;

say they should lose weight
or directly address the person who called them fat, either firmly or knock the kid out :tongue:?

or something else?

Directly address the person that insulted your sibling. If you think you sibling could stand to lose some weight, encourage them to be active and eat a little less. They'll thank you for it in the future.
Reply 6
Original post by lou 22
My little brothers are going through hell as they are mixed race but are the size 7 year olds should be and are called fat, ugly (that is a lie as they are well handsome ♡♥♡), they are told there mom is this, I am that and all i tell them to do is just throw it back at the person with a little truth thrown in.

I wish I could go back to my 7 year old self with the strength I have now and whoop some kids asses as its not fair that my lovely little brothers are being bullied for being mixed race in a predominantly black school it's also a catholic school so it's madness. I just don't like seeing my little brothers unhappy :frown:.

I have gone to a few parents my age group in the playground and told them nicely to make sure there kid isn't bothering my brothers that seems to of worked but there are still a few that my mom has spoken to but lord knows they better make there kids behave or they ain't gonna like my other side lol :smile:.

Sorry to hear that. While me and my sister are not mixed-race black, we are mixed-race Asian (Thai).

Both of us have had some racism slung at us every now and then during school. Stopped now, nobody bothers us.

We were the only people in that county probably to have Thai ancestry and the only Asians (not including South-Asians), we had the odd joke about how much our dad brought our mum, if she is a lady-boy etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
I used to be the fat one in my siblings who went through this over and over and over again until I lost over 60lbs -- I went down from about 190lbs to my current lowest weight, 125lbs.

When I was 10 years old my "friends" gave me a letter saying:
"Dear [Vixen], sorry, but you can't be our friend because you're too fat."
There were five or six of us in this little group but only one girl had it against me -- the others stayed silent because they didn't have the guts to speak against her. That letter wasn't the worst. She did other things but I just laughed it all off until it became too much.

One night my sister tried speaking to me about everything that was going on and I just broke down in tears. She said that she would confront the girl and we had a massive fight because I was terrified that she'd make things worse. The next morning she went to my school and in front of about 200 kids she shouted at this girl, threatened to slap her and eventually made her cry. She left before the teachers came to get us and when my teacher found out what happened, she said that my sister coule get banned from my school because of what she did. :lol: ****ing ignorant bitch wouldn't register the fact that I was getting bullied by the very bitch who was playing the victim card and emotionally manipulating her.

After my sister did what she did the bullying immediately stopped. Whenever my sister took me to school after that day, she would be hailed a hero because it turns out I wasn't the only one the bitch picked on -- I was just the only one who had someone who was able to do something about it. :borat:
Reply 8
Original post by Yakob
Sorry to hear that. While me and my sister are not mixed-race black, we are mixed-race Asian.

Both of us have had some racism slung at us every now and then during school. Stopped now, nobody bothers us.

Likewise, I bet it's made you a stronger person though?.

It's terrible, some of the things my little brothers have come back and told me I have been shocked they where recently told they where gay whities and they rub up together in the bed bumming each other, they where told this by a vile behaved little boy who keeps pooing himself aged 8 like wth, these parents needs to censor what there kids see and hear like what the heck. There have been threats that they will chop of our older brothers head off, one of the kids that left like 2years ago would burn our house down, that people would beat me up (let them try), the list goes on, I am sick of the people they truly sicken me and the school is as much use as a shoe with a hole in it.
I'd tell their teacher.
It's like an unwritten law. You mess with my family, you mess with me.
Reply 11
Original post by lou 22
Likewise, I bet it's made you a stronger person though?.

Not sure if I'm stronger, I'm definitely less emotional about it and more numb, just shrug it off.

It's terrible, some of the things my little brothers have come back and told me I have been shocked they where recently told they where gay whities and they rub up together in the bed bumming each other, they where told this by a vile behaved little boy who keeps pooing himself aged 8 like wth, these parents needs to censor what there kids see and hear like what the heck. There have been threats that they will chop of our older brothers head off, one of the kids that left like 2years ago would burn our house down, that people would beat me up (let them try), the list goes on, I am sick of the people they truly sicken me and the school is as much use as a shoe with a hole in it.

Me and my sister never had it that bad, we only had snide comments, mainly from ***** in the background, nothing confrontational like that fortunately despite the area is a **** hole.

Even if I were bullied, I would hate to know my sister was being bullied. I'm sorry that you are going through this, isn't there any way you can solve the problem?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Nod my head in agreement and tell them to get a gym membership
Reply 13
Original post by Yakob
Me and my sister never had it that bad, we only had snide comments, mainly from ***** in the background, nothing confrontational like that fortunately despite the area is a **** hole.

Even if I were bullied, I would hate to know my sister was being bullied. I'm sorry that you are going through this, isn't there any way you can solve the problem?

My mom is hesitant to move them to another school as she is hoping it will stop, but I dunno I can't believe how **** that school has become since I was supposed to go but wanted to stay at my primary school, the down side to living in the inner city good schools get turned into **** because people who have no clue how to raise a child are having children and dragging them up by there collar it truly sickens me how bad society is. I just hope for the next 3years it grinds to a holt or my mom changes there school or something because boy it is bothering me :frown:.
Reply 14
Original post by lou 22
My mom is hesitant to move them to another school as she is hoping it will stop, but I dunno I can't believe how **** that school has become since I was supposed to go but wanted to stay at my primary school, the down side to living in the inner city good schools get turned into **** because people who have no clue how to raise a child are having children and dragging them up by there collar it truly sickens me how bad society is. I just hope for the next 3years it grinds to a holt or my mom changes there school or something because boy it is bothering me :frown:.

Wow, I really don't know what to say, but I'm sorry you are going through this. Are you female by chance? I suppose if you were male, you could directly confront them.

I'm lucky me and my sister live in the country side. I highly suggest moving schools, bullying will only get worst as they get older. No doubt its going to affect your siblings. Call the police now before the bullying becomes physical.

Near me, I could fight back if my sibling was in danger but with so many council estates nearby, my family could also be targeted, stories of bricks thrown into house windows are not uncommon.
(edited 10 years ago)
My sisters 16 so its a bit different to if she was younger but I would tell her that her weight does not define her and anyone who thinks it does isn't worth her time.

I'd also mentally punch whoever said it to her
Reply 16
Original post by Yakob
Wow, I really don't know what to say, but I'm sorry you are going through this. Are you female by chance? I suppose if you were male, you could directly confront them.

I'm lucky me and my sister live in the country side. I highly suggest moving schools, bullying will only get worst as they get older. No doubt its going to affect your siblings. Call the police now before the bullying becomes physical.

Near me, I could fight back if my sibling was in danger but with so many council estates nearby, my family could also be targeted, stories of bricks thrown into house windows are not uncommon.

I would ideally want that but it's down to my mom, I am female and would have confronted these hollow headed parents the younger ones have listened I may have to talk to the older ones cause I don't like how the twins are because of it :frown:. A few of them do know where we live but if they ever where crazy enough it wouldn't go down lightly, believe me lol. I just hope my mom come to decision cause the school basically have said we will try to deal with it but the kids lie and deny all knowledge of anything they have done.
Reply 17
Original post by lou 22
I would ideally want that but it's down to my mom, I am female and would have confronted these hollow headed parents the younger ones have listened I may have to talk to the older ones cause I don't like how the twins are because of it :frown:. A few of them do know where we live but if they ever where crazy enough it wouldn't go down lightly, believe me lol. I just hope my mom come to decision cause the school basically have said we will try to deal with it but the kids lie and deny all knowledge of anything they have done.

All I can say is that if the bullying becomes physically, please call the police immediately.

Are you in London?
I'd punch the kid senseless
Reply 19
Original post by Yakob
All I can say is that if the bullying becomes physically, please call the police immediately.

Are you in London?

Nope Birmingham, and I will do :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest