The Student Room Group

How to revise the whole of B1 effectively???

hi for those who don't know B stands for biology. I am doing triple science and I am revising over the previous topics. please help because i have no idea where to start but my GCSE exams are in June and I would like to take biology for A-level. Thanks xoxo
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm doing triple science as well but id recommend doing B2/3 first because the exams are in Mary compared to b1 in June and thats much easier, make sure you watch mygcsescience videos and make notes as you go along, then go back with your textbook and add the things missed, do loads of past papers and do posters and flashcards in topics you need help with (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Buy the GCSE CGP revision guides. They have everything you need to know and helped me get A*A*A at GCSE triple science and AAB at As level. Very good books and after learning the content by heart which doesn't take a long time do all the past papers.
Well, I'd firstly recommend that you go on your exam board's website and download the specification for Biology so you know exactly what you need to learn. I did Triple Science with AQA and their specs are great, I've found. You should also get a revision guide that you can work from that's specifically for your exam board, and get down the key points. CGP have great revision guides, in particular.

In order for the info to be fully taken in, it's good to engage the creative half of your brain while making notes. It doesn't have to be anything overly complex: I just wrote my notes in different colours constantly and my friend drew little thumbnail sketches: whatever works for you (as my method didn't work for my friend and I can't draw sticks correctly-experiment to find your ideal style of learning/revision.) You could use mind maps, flashcards, recording your voice and playing it back, etc.

After you've got down all your notes, try explaining to someone else the concepts that you're trying to learn or test your friends who might also be doing the test. It'll make the learning more involved and help you to see it as less of a chore.

Finally, past papers are your friend! Try to get hold of all the ones that you can and just do them. Then you can check your answers and look for any particular wording mentioned in the mark scheme or the topics that you need to work on the most. Don't try to predict what will come up on the paper though-it's a recipe for disaster.

I do hope that I've helped you as much as possible. I did well in Biology overall and hope you will too! :smile:

PS: Here's a link to a website that might help. It's got everything you need to know for B1 for AQA, OCR and Edexcel.
http://www.docbrown.info/
Original post by emrel
hi for those who don't know B stands for biology. I am doing triple science and I am revising over the previous topics. please help because i have no idea where to start but my GCSE exams are in June and I would like to take biology for A-level. Thanks xoxo

Which specification?

And for what exam?
Reply 5
Go on youtube and watch videos on the topic

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did B1 last year and I got an A. Seriously, the only thing you need is the syllabus, write it out in note form and then learn the notes in a way that works for you. I found that I could learn it effectively by reading the notes, I did this for about 5 days before the exam, good luck:smile:
Reply 7
I'm doing A Levels now but absolutely loved Biology. Got the highest in my class for B1. and got 2 A*s in both biology exams. (did dual science)
What I did was I printed out the syllabus a few months in advance and used each bullet point/number within the syllabus and turned it into a question, wrote out the answer and then wrote it onto mini revision cards and learnt it.
Also, if you are a visual learner, I would strongly recommend going on Youtube and typing in Dr Hershkowitz (especially if you have edexcel, and I think OCR) - he also helped me a lot. He teaches you the whole of the B1 syllabus in individual 2/3 minute clips: its clear, easy to understand and very helpful.

Edited: If you do Edexcel http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrqgYZpFZ_GKmxmdoXv_CU0-GVGzkZZ4l

Hope this helps and Good Luck
:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Also, try and get a hold of answers where a student has given full marks: so you know exactly what to include. Examiners tips are also helpful as they mention where students lose marks. I wouldn't say learnt it exactly by heart and memorise every word as the question may vary slightly but I'm sure the same concept will be asked.

If I remember correctly, you have to learn the 5 kingdoms: Kingdom, Phyllum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species (king phillip could only find green socks/green snakes) :wink: - little tip we learnt.
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Which specification?

And for what exam?

ocr

i do these exams:
b1, b2, b3
b3,b4,b5
b7
thanks guys, you all helped alot xx
Original post by emrel
ocr

i do these exams:
b1, b2, b3
b3,b4,b5
b7

So you do OCR 21st Century Biology, I do OCR Gateway, trust me it ain't that hard and the grade boundaries are at like 65% for an A*.

PM me for any help

Quick Reply

Latest