The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paddyman4
They could have spent 5 minutes choreographing something worthy of an expert sword fighter for that scene then.

Indeed they should. I just wanted to point out that they probably threw that in there as a throw-back to Classic Who.
Original post by snowyowl
Indeed they should. I just wanted to point out that they probably threw that in there as a throw-back to Classic Who.

Yeah fair enough
Original post by chernid
Yeah, same. The worst bit of "Hide" for me was at the end where the Doctor said "This is not a ghost story, this is a love story", which ruined the episode for me

There have been moments that have made me cringe. I don't know about anyone else, but Amy Pond's cameo at the end of "The Time of the Doctor" made me cringe.

Amywho, are there any villains from the books/radio dramas/comics who you think should make an onscreen appearance at some point?
Original post by muonz
I completely agree. At points during his tenure I did get the impression he simply wanted to forget about the Time War and reinvent himself.

Matt Smith's Doctor was very dark and ruthless rewatch A Good Man Goes to War He destroys an entire fleet of Cyberships and bullies the Colonel calling Colonel Runaway.He is very badass showing his ruthlessness when banishing The Atraxi, talking to Angel Bob at the end of The Time of Angels and He gets really angry at humans in The Beast Below.There are probably loads more moments.
Reply 3044
Original post by Dalek1099
Matt Smith's Doctor was very dark and ruthless rewatch A Good Man Goes to War He destroys an entire fleet of Cyberships and bullies the Colonel calling Colonel Runaway.He is very badass showing his ruthlessness when banishing The Atraxi, talking to Angel Bob at the end of The Time of Angels and He gets really angry at humans in The Beast Below.There are probably loads more moments.

I was never suggesting he wasn't ruthless, I was suggesting that he does not act towards the Time War in the same way his previous two incarnations did.
Original post by ThisIsn'tSpam
Some of the episodes from the last season were definitely rather poor. I know people keep going on and on about the speech at the end of the "Rings of Akhaten", but speech or no speech, it was a fairly rubbish episode. The same applies to "Hide" (one of the most wishy-washiest endings I've ever seen) and "The Power of Three" (It literally embodies the quick solution trope).

"The Snowmen" is another personal gripe for me, given the fact that the Great Intelligence just seemed to say, "Bugger it, I'm off to Tibet to build some Yeti" and stop trying to take over the world.

Wasn't the Great Intelligence and his snowman damaged by Clara's family crying:confused:
The Rings of Akaten was awful probably one of the worst things I have seen up until the ending where The Doctor gives a fantastic speech and there is a very clever solution with Clara's leaf, this is one of the few episodes where the story is atrocious but the ending is fantastic.The story was so bad because of the singing and the fact that irrelevant plot details where added in with a fake monster breaking the glass which didn't turn out to be of any importance.

Hide was pretty good and I don't think the love story completely ruined it and the ending to The Power of Three was also awful because all He did was point his sonic screwdriver at the ship and the idea of the hearts just restarting like that is sci-fi-fi-fi-fi-any decent Doctor knows that very few humans would survive this because they had been knocked out for a long time and why weren't there a lot of security defenses stopping The Doctor hacking the system.

Nightmare in Silver has got to be the worst ending though I mean that would have probably been ripped up by a Primary School Teacher for being too rubbish with them literally blowing up the planet and its pretty obvious that the writers simply do not care about the ending but I always feel it is the most important part of the episode(the whole idea is how are they going to get out of this?etc) and the endings are so easy to script as well I would have had The Doctor trick the Cybermen into thinking He was the Cyber Planner and order them to go to sleep.
Original post by muonz
I was never suggesting he wasn't ruthless, I was suggesting that he does not act towards the Time War in the same way his previous two incarnations did.

That is how aging works though you move on of course He is going to think less of an event thats happened hundreds of years ago compared to a few years ago its a natural part of aging it happens to humans too for example rape victims normally at least partially recover and certainly don't find the rape as bad as it was when they were raped.

The Doctor seems to have forgotten how bad the Timelords are though and how much the universe hastes them because then He would never have been foolish enough to save the Timelords all the deaths and what could be called another Time War on Trenzalore because of all the species involved would never have happened.
(edited 10 years ago)
There have been moments that have made me cringe. I don't know about anyone else, but Amy Pond's cameo at the end of "The Time of the Doctor" made me cringe.

Me too. I didn't mind the little Amy bit, but when Karen Gillan walked in I just thought it was ridiculous. Ugh.
Wasn't the Great Intelligence and his snowman damaged by Clara's family crying:confused:
The Rings of Akaten was awful probably one of the worst things I have seen up until the ending where The Doctor gives a fantastic speech and there is a very clever solution with Clara's leaf, this is one of the few episodes where the story is atrocious but the ending is fantastic.The story was so bad because of the singing and the fact that irrelevant plot details where added in with a fake monster breaking the glass which didn't turn out to be of any importance.

Hide was pretty good and I don't think the love story completely ruined it and the ending to The Power of Three was also awful because all He did was point his sonic screwdriver at the ship and the idea of the hearts just restarting like that is sci-fi-fi-fi-fi-any decent Doctor knows that very few humans would survive this because they had been knocked out for a long time and why weren't there a lot of security defenses stopping The Doctor hacking the system.

Nightmare in Silver has got to be the worst ending though I mean that would have probably been ripped up by a Primary School Teacher for being too rubbish with them literally blowing up the planet and its pretty obvious that the writers simply do not care about the ending but I always feel it is the most important part of the episode(the whole idea is how are they going to get out of this?etc) and the endings are so easy to script as well I would have had The Doctor trick the Cybermen into thinking He was the Cyber Planner and order them to go to sleep.

Whilst the speech was good and the idea of the leaf was indeed clever, I simply felt that they just couldn't save the episode by the point the two were introduced. Also, the newly introduced fact that Clara's mother is apparently a b***h kind of ruins it for me.

I just personally felt that the 'love-story' ending completely negated the previous tone and brought about a rather undermining and unsatisfactory conclusion.

At the end of "The Power of Three" I was considering yelling at the TV over the fact that so many people were able survive for that amount of time. I mean, seriously, absolutely no one (apparently) die? And why was Palpatine onboard?

Don't forget the children. The children should not have been allowed to live, their acting abilities were nonexistent.
I really don't think this season was bad when compared to series 6. The second half actually had the Snowmen and Nightmare in Silver in addition to a lot of average and only 1 bad episode.

Series 1, 2 and 4 were in a different league but the second half of series 7 was probably a little better than series 3 and 5 which were poor bar spectacular multi-parters (the master, Byzantium and pandorica). Series 6 should be erased from my mind.
Reply 3050
Original post by Rakas21
I really don't think this season was bad when compared to series 6. The second half actually had the Snowmen and Nightmare in Silver in addition to a lot of average and only 1 bad episode.

Series 1, 2 and 4 were in a different league but the second half of series 7 was probably a little better than series 3 and 5 which were poor bar spectacular multi-parters (the master, Byzantium and pandorica). Series 6 should be erased from my mind.

:eek: How dare you! Blink is one of my favourite episodes! Along with Human Nature!
Original post by Rakas21

Series 5 was the best series and Nightmare in Silver is awful turning the Cybermen into the Borg and having an awful ending where they just blow up the whole planet.If you count the latest two episodes then this series hasn't been too bad because the 50th and the Christmas Special are arguably the best 2 episodes of Doctor Who ever produced.
Reply 3052
Series 5 was the best series and Nightmare in Silver is awful turning the Cybermen into the Borg and having an awful ending where they just blow up the whole planet.If you count the latest two episodes then this series hasn't been too bad because the 50th and the Christmas Special are arguably the best 2 episodes of Doctor Who ever produced.

I agree with pretty much everything you said there apart from about the Xmas special, which I thought was average. But yes, Series 5 was amazing, and is almost perfect except for about three stories, and even then they were only average rather than being explicitly bad, which is pretty good going. I could watch series 5 on end, unfortunately it seems to have gone forgotten in quite a lot of Dr Who circles.
Original post by Jarred
I agree with pretty much everything you said there apart from about the Xmas special, which I thought was average. But yes, Series 5 was amazing, and is almost perfect except for about three stories, and even then they were only average rather than being explicitly bad, which is pretty good going. I could watch series 5 on end, unfortunately it seems to have gone forgotten in quite a lot of Dr Who circles.

I have ranked all of Matt Smiths stories into order:
1.The Day of the Doctor(Super Excellent)
2.The Time of the Doctor(Super Excellent)
3.The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang(Super Excellent)
4.Vincent and the Doctor(Excellent)
5.Amy's Choice(Excellent)
6.The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone(Excellent)
7.The Snowmen(Excellent)
8.The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People(Excellent)
9.A Good Man Goes to War(Excellent)
10.A Girl Who Waited(Excellent)
11.Victory of the Daleks(Excellent)
12.The Angels take Manhattan(Excellent)
13.The Wedding of River Song(Good)
14.Journey to the Centre of the Tardis(Good)
15.The Doctor's Wife(Good)
16.The Hungry Earth(Bad)/Cold Blood(Excellent)
17.The Impossible Astronaut(Ok)/Day of the Moon(Excellent)
18.The Eleventh Hour(Good)
19.Hide(Good)
20.The Bells of Saint John(Good)
21.The Vampires of Venice(Good)
22.The Name of the Doctor(Good)
23.The Crimson Horror(Good)
24.Cold War(Good)
25.The Power of Three(Good)
26.Dinosaurs on a Spaceship(Ok)
27.A Christmas Carol(Ok)
28.A Town Called Mercy(Ok)
29.Let's Kill Hitler(Ok)
30.Closing Time(Ok)
31.The Rings of Akaten(Ok)
32.The God Complex(Ok)
33.The Lodger(Ok)
34.The Beast Below(Bad)
35.Night Terrors(Bad)
36.The Curse of the Black Spot(Bad)
37.Nightmare in Silver(Bad)
38.The Doctor,the Widow and the Wardrobe(Bad)
39.Asylum of the Daleks(Bad)
Reply 3054
I have ranked all of Matt Smiths stories into order:
1.The Day of the Doctor(Super Excellent)
2.The Time of the Doctor(Super Excellent)
3.The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang(Super Excellent)
4.Vincent and the Doctor(Excellent)
5.Amy's Choice(Excellent)
6.The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone(Excellent)
7.The Snowmen(Excellent)
8.The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People(Excellent)
9.A Good Man Goes to War(Excellent)
10.A Girl Who Waited(Excellent)
11.Victory of the Daleks(Excellent)
12.The Angels take Manhattan(Excellent)
13.The Wedding of River Song(Good)
14.Journey to the Centre of the Tardis(Good)
15.The Doctor's Wife(Good)
16.The Hungry Earth(Bad)/Cold Blood(Excellent)
17.The Impossible Astronaut(Ok)/Day of the Moon(Excellent)
18.The Eleventh Hour(Good)
19.Hide(Good)
20.The Bells of Saint John(Good)
21.The Vampires of Venice(Good)
22.The Name of the Doctor(Good)
23.The Crimson Horror(Good)
24.Cold War(Good)
25.The Power of Three(Good)
26.Dinosaurs on a Spaceship(Ok)
27.A Christmas Carol(Ok)
28.A Town Called Mercy(Ok)
29.Let's Kill Hitler(Ok)
30.Closing Time(Ok)
31.The Rings of Akaten(Ok)
32.The God Complex(Ok)
33.The Lodger(Ok)
34.The Beast Below(Bad)
35.Night Terrors(Bad)
36.The Curse of the Black Spot(Bad)
37.Nightmare in Silver(Bad)
38.The Doctor,the Widow and the Wardrobe(Bad)
39.Asylum of the Daleks(Bad)

I disagree.
Reply 3055

Amywho, are there any villains from the books/radio dramas/comics who you think should make an onscreen appearance at some point?

If I'm honest, I haven't really read/listened to Doctor Who stuff for a few years, so I'm not really caught up on it.

I remember a story which was probably a quick read "The Krillitane Storm" or something, and it featured Krillitanes with a different body than in "School Reunion". It'd be really good I think if they featured in a new episode with a completely different body (or constituent body parts). I think with their weakness being their own oil, it'd be pretty easier to defeat them in the episode, so maybe as just the kind of henchmen of the head villain.
Reply 3056
Me too. I loved Series 5.

Personally

Series 2/3/4 (equal) > Series 5 > Series 1 > Series 6 > Series 7
Original post by chernid
I disagree.

You can't just say disagree explain yourself I don't even know what ones you disagree with.
Reply 3058
You can't just say disagree explain yourself I don't even know what ones you disagree with.

I'm a James Corden fan so personally the Lodger and Closing Time were favourites of mine. I enjoyed the Doctor leading an "ordinary life". I found it quite comical.

Agreed. It was absolutely awful. Mind you, I cringe every time the Doctor kisses someone (as I firmly believe he shouldn't kiss anyone), so...

Quick Reply

Latest