The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SusanRose7
Yayyyyyyyyy, I got an offer from The University of Manchester for L100 Economics (AAB) Sent 9th December, received 16th December xxxx

The University of Glasgow has given me an offer for MA Economics L150 wooooooooooow! So thrilled!!
Got an 5/5 offers for Economics L101 from Surrey, Glasgow, Sussex, Royal Holloway and Essex! :smile: But I think I will take Royal Holloway as firm choice.
Original post by Half-blackpearl
Got an 5/5 offers for Economics L101 from Surrey, Glasgow, Sussex, Royal Holloway and Essex! :smile: But I think I will take Royal Holloway as firm choice.

I'd take Surrey, but if you prefer RH then go for it.
Anyone got offers from Warwick and Aberdeen, and do you guys think I should apply for Bristol. Is Bristol better than Nottingham?
Original post by North Wolf
Anyone got offers from Warwick and Aberdeen, and do you guys think I should apply for Bristol. Is Bristol better than Nottingham?

bristol > notts
I know guys that discussing this issue is not related to UCAS economics, but I have a doubt which i would like all Econ students to be clear. My cousin, told me that BA in Economics is truly a worthless degree, because employment prospects of such students are low. Instead he said that Economics students who have science background will have better chance in the employment prospects (i.e. undergrad in science and MA in Economics) He told me that how many Stanford students who did BA in Economics are sill unemployed, are suffering as they do not have any science background. He told me to do undergrad in Law/Sci and then do MA for Economics. I already got offers from 2 univs, and I am still confused. Anyone knows whether the students who do BA in Economics is employed?
Reply 2606
I know guys that discussing this issue is not related to UCAS economics, but I have a doubt which i would like all Econ students to be clear. My cousin, told me that BA in Economics is truly a worthless degree, because employment prospects of such students are low. Instead he said that Economics students who have science background will have better chance in the employment prospects (i.e. undergrad in science and MA in Economics) He told me that how many Stanford students who did BA in Economics are sill unemployed, are suffering as they do not have any science background. He told me to do undergrad in Law/Sci and then do MA for Economics. I already got offers from 2 univs, and I am still confused. Anyone knows whether the students who do BA in Economics is employed?

Numerical/Analytical skills which are more predominant in BSc's are very sought after by many city employers but I don't think a BA Economics degree will not put you in bad steed. It still is, on the whole a pretty numerical degree and if people aren't getting a job because they have a BA in Economics instead of a BSc, then I feel sorry for people doing Geography/History. They must all be tramps if your theory is correct.
I just wanted to clarify...
You can receive two offers from the same university if your courses are from two different departments, am I right? Received a offer from UCL for Economics and Business and waiting to hear for straight Economics ( the two courses are from separate, different departments )
Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rafael_96
You can receive two offers from the same university if your courses are from two different departments, am I right? Received a offer from UCL for Economics and Business and waiting to hear for straight Economics ( the two courses are from separate, different departments )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the uni, email they to find out. LSE, for example, would reject you for the other course if they've already made you an offer.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Depends on the uni, email they to find out. LSE, for example, would reject you for the other course if they've already made you an offer.

I contacted them off another persons email to hide the fact I applied to Econ and Business aswell, they forwarded my enquiry to admissions and they haven't replied since.
If it's from two different departments I don't see why they would reject for the other course. Feeling really worried though :frown: UCL is my favourite university...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's fine as long as the courses are managed by different departments.
Original post by Mike_123
It's fine as long as the courses are managed by different departments.

Calling UCL tomorrow to get this cleared up but thank you, hope your right along with me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Calling UCL tomorrow to get this cleared up but thank you, hope your right along with me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let know what they say please! :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Mike_123
Let know what they say please! :smile:

Call to make sure but I'm 99% sure with UCL its allowed. I asked the stats department if you could apply there and at Econ. They said definitely as its handled seperately.

Then again stats and econ are in different faculties as well as department. Business and econ may not be, that may play a part but I doubt it.
Original post by NedStark
Call to make sure but I'm 99% sure with UCL its allowed. I asked the stats department if you could apply there and at Econ. They said definitely as its handled seperately.

Then again stats and econ are in different faculties as well as department. Business and econ may not be, that may play a part but I doubt it.

Ned, I love you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We all love Ned Stark, Lord of Winterfell, Warden of the North and (had it not been for Cersei), Lord Regent of the Iron throne.
Does anyone here plan to do Msc Finance after graduating with an Economics degree?
It's bloody expensive...£25k for a year!
Original post by TerribleTej
We all love Ned Stark, Lord of Winterfell, Warden of the North and (had it not been for Cersei), Lord Regent of the Iron throne.

Aha, my favourite character in the series.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I've read BA's in Economics from US universities often contain very little maths on their own, which seems to make career prospects worse. However, as far as I can tell, as long as you were to double major in Maths and Economics, or do minors in Comp. Sci, Maths or Applied Maths then you should be fine. Also, if you were to get a BSc (or whatever their equivalent is) in Economics from an Ivy League school or another top college (such as the UC's or Chicago) then I doubt there are going to be that many people not getting employed provided they do well.

That being said, if you're applying to UK universities most BA programs here are less arts based on their own (with places like Cambridge giving out BA's due to tradition rather than content of the course) so you should be fine provided you do well at a good university
Original post by RebelV005
Does anyone here plan to do Msc Finance after graduating with an Economics degree?
It's bloody expensive...£25k for a year!

You could always find a job in finance first and look for a company that would be willing to sponsor you...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending