The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by robin1125
From what I've read BA's in Economics from US universities often contain very little maths on their own, which seems to make career prospects worse. However, as far as I can tell, as long as you were to double major in Maths and Economics, or do minors in Comp. Sci, Maths or Applied Maths then you should be fine. Also, if you were to get a BSc (or whatever their equivalent is) in Economics from an Ivy League school or another top college (such as the UC's or Chicago) then I doubt there are going to be that many people not getting employed provided they do well.

That being said, if you're applying to UK universities most BA programs here are less arts based on their own (with places like Cambridge giving out BA's due to tradition rather than content of the course) so you should be fine provided you do well at a good university

Thanks for your reply Robin, I got offers from Nottingham and Sussex (is their BA degrees worth it). As for US, I am applying to Princeton and UChicago, but don't know what will be the outcome.
Original post by RebelV005
Does anyone here plan to do Msc Finance after graduating with an Economics degree?
It's bloody expensive...£25k for a year!

Original post by robin1125
You could always find a job in finance first and look for a company that would be willing to sponsor you...

Thats exactly what I plan to do, my sister did her accounting course this way and she didn't have to spend a penny on tuitions or exams as her employers paid for it.
Original post by Rafael_96
Aha, my favourite character in the series.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He was my favourite character too, even though he was only there for the first season :tongue:
Original post by Rafael_96
I just wanted to clarify...
You can receive two offers from the same university if your courses are from two different departments, am I right? Received a offer from UCL for Economics and Business and waiting to hear for straight Economics ( the two courses are from separate, different departments )
Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice bro, what's your gcse, AS and A2 predictions?
Original post by Hazard17
Nice bro, what's your gcse, AS and A2 predictions?

AS: AAAA (90% UMS average)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*
Also doing a EPQ predicted grade A :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stuck on which offer to firm, Surrey Economics Sw or York Economics @_@
Original post by blazekid75
Stuck on which offer to firm, Surrey Economics Sw or York Economics @_@

I would personally go for York, not just solely based on the reputation, but because of the area and modules
Original post by TerribleTej
Thats exactly what I plan to do, my sister did her accounting course this way and she didn't have to spend a penny on tuitions or exams as her employers paid for it.

That seems a viable option.
Do you have an idea where you want to end up after achieving the degree?
e.g. IB or whatever
Does anyone else share a similar concern as me that, studying away from London e.g. Nottingham or Bristol can be a disadvantage in terms of Job opportunities, contacts and networking within the finance industry
Original post by RebelV005
That seems a viable option.
Do you have an idea where you want to end up after achieving the degree?
e.g. IB or whatever

I actually wanted to become a lecturer/professor and to do that I need to do a masters and a phd. However my families financial situation isn't the best so my parents can't really help me out so for the first 4-5 years after my graduation I will probably go into IB so I can try and sort out the funding issues before going back to education to complete my masters and phd.
Original post by monstercable
I would personally go for York, not just solely based on the reputation, but because of the area and modules

But the modules at Surrey have a lot of Maths, things like matrices etc, but York's doesn't look as mathematical?
Also Surreys has a year of work which could be helpful to me in the long run...
Yup I'm stuck.
Original post by Mike_123
Let know what they say please! :smile:

Called UCL today and they said I can receive both offers, I knew it but my sister instilled doubt in me aha. Content now finally after waiting days for the department to open up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
can someone give me a simple definition and example of a missing market?
Reply 2633
Original post by Millerman
can someone give me a simple definition and example of a missing market?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=missing+market
also, where is the welfare loss and MEC on a demerit diagram cos the internet says different things???
Original post by jenasdfghjkl
at Loughborough? I got my offer a couple of weeks ago for L10A :smile:

well done!! what is L10A?
Offer from Cambridge! :smile:))

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Epic Flawless

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats, we did expect as much haha :smile:
Thanks! :smile: Have you heard back yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Epic Flawless

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done! :smile:

I myself have to wait for an email on Monday (letter was sent to my school).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending