The Student Room Group

What are your experiences with Duac Gel?

I have been prescribed and using duac gel for a month now and i haven't been seeing much improvements in my skin. I still get breakouts and my acne still exists. Should i be more patient and stick with it for longer or should i ask my doctor for a different product?

Scroll to see replies

It cleared up my acne within 2 months- but my skin became so dehydrated it actually aged in parts (fine lines around my mouth and forehead!) so now I take anti-biotics (not as effective as Duac but they don't damage skin). Use an intensive moisturizer alongside duac (Clarins is good, its what i'm currently using to repair the damage) and a rich foundation- my skin would literally drink my make-up when I was using Duac.
Reply 2
I'd ask for a different product, Duac didn't help me at all.
I'll stick with it for another month then. Did you see results within your first month? Because currently i still get the same amount of spots growing on a regular basis, they just seem to be going faster. I have oily spot prone skin anyway so i've just been using an oil free moisturiser from Simple.
Original post by Precious Illusions
I'd ask for a different product, Duac didn't help me at all.
how long did you stick with it?
Reply 5
Original post by carmella.grace
I'll stick with it for another month then. Did you see results within your first month? Because currently i still get the same amount of spots growing on a regular basis, they just seem to be going faster. I have oily spot prone skin anyway so i've just been using an oil free moisturiser from Simple.

Are you not taking medication orally too? Acne's best treated from the inside and the outside.
Reply 6
With things like duac and anything you use for acne it takes 2-4 months before you see any major improvement...duac helped me quite a bit but it dried my skin out really badly. Even if you cant see the drying effects right now be sure to moisturise twice a day, using a heavy moisturiser in the evening. For now i would say stick with it, your doctor would probably advise the same to be honest since in the instructions sheet it says the gel is not immediate acting. :smile:
By the way Duac is supposed to lessen the amount of acne not really get rid of it completely.
Original post by rachel.h
Are you not taking medication orally too? Acne's best treated from the inside and the outside.

Nope, i haven't been prescribed anything. Is there any medication i can take orally alongside duac that you could recommend?
Reply 8
how long did you stick with it?

Hmm...was like 5 years ago now but about 2 months? 6-8 weeks I think. Roaccutane was the only thing that cleared my acne though.
Original post by HistoryGeek123
It cleared up my acne within 2 months- but my skin became so dehydrated it actually aged in parts (fine lines around my mouth and forehead!) so now I take anti-biotics (not as effective as Duac but they don't damage skin). Use an intensive moisturizer alongside duac (Clarins is good, its what i'm currently using to repair the damage) and a rich foundation- my skin would literally drink my make-up when I was using Duac.

Reply 10
Nope, i haven't been prescribed anything. Is there any medication i can take orally alongside duac that you could recommend?

There are plenty. Go back to your GP.
Original post by numar9501
With things like duac and anything you use for acne it takes 2-4 months before you see any major improvement...duac helped me quite a bit but it dried my skin out really badly. Even if you cant see the drying effects right now be sure to moisturise twice a day, using a heavy moisturiser in the evening. For now i would say stick with it, your doctor would probably advise the same to be honest since in the instructions sheet it says the gel is not immediate acting. :smile:
By the way Duac is supposed to lessen the amount of acne not really get rid of it completely.

I have oily spot prone skin, i have been noticing the drying effect but it doesn't concern me too much because of that. And ok, it's just because i've been reading reviews and people have been seeing effects within their first week and there's me not noticing much after a month :P where does it say that?
I have been prescribed and using duac gel for a month now and i haven't been seeing much improvements in my skin. I still get breakouts and my acne still exists. Should i be more patient and stick with it for longer or should i ask my doctor for a different product?

- Too intensive on skin as it dries mine up and it can get patchy/flakey
- Didn't help my spots/acne

I stopped using it after 3 days because it simply does nothing.
I use a produce called: Freederm gel and it does wonders! It claims it can reduce spot size and redness in 3 hours or less. That is somewhat accurate, but it really does reduce spot size and redness overnight!

Although it's still intensive on the skin, I recommend you moisturise if using it.
Original post by Precious Illusions
Hmm...was like 5 years ago now but about 2 months? 6-8 weeks I think. Roaccutane was the only thing that cleared my acne though.

I don't have it severe enough to try roaccutane :P
Original post by LonelyPlanet
- Too intensive on skin as it dries mine up and it can get patchy/flakey
- Didn't help my spots/acne

I stopped using it after 3 days because it simply does nothing.
I use a produce called: Freederm gel and it does wonders! It claims it can reduce spot size and redness in 3 hours or less. That is somewhat accurate, but it really does reduce spot size and redness overnight!

Although it's still intensive on the skin, I recommend you moisturise if using it.

3 Days? I don't think you stuck with it long enough because it's a long term medication :P

I used freederm from 13-16 years old and it did help me at first but eventually my skin developed some sort of resistance to it and it ended up doing nothing, which is why I had to seek my doctor's help.

I use an oil free moisturiser but don't put it on till after a while of applying duac because i fear it'll get in the way.
3 Days? I don't think you stuck with it long enough because it's a long term medication :P

I used freederm from 13-16 years old and it did help me at first but eventually my skin developed some sort of resistance to it and it ended up doing nothing, which is why I had to seek my doctor's help.

I use an oil free moisturiser but don't put it on till after a while of applying duac because i fear it'll get in the way.

Guess it was too slow for me :biggrin:

Hmm, I don't know then sorry :/
Maybe see you doctor about the possibilities of antibiotics? It's usually reserved for very very bad acne and does help clear it up. But side effects includes mood swings, etc... My friend has had antibiotics and it made him very frustrated and unable to work in a team (He plays rugby)
Reply 16
I have oily spot prone skin, i have been noticing the drying effect but it doesn't concern me too much because of that. And ok, it's just because i've been reading reviews and people have been seeing effects within their first week and there's me not noticing much after a month :P where does it say that?

I have very similar skin, trust me-keep moisturising! if need be use a mattifier or some powder to lose the 'shine' but never skip the moisturiser. I used it a long time ago (when i was about 14) and used it for about 6 months...how old are you? once you are over 16 your doctor might suggest the contraceptive pill that is combined specially for acne (although you can obvs take it before 16). That is what i use atm and although it hasn't gotten rid of my acne completely it has made it a lot less.
Also make sure you use a proper cleanser instead of soap etc on your face and remove blackheads regularly.
Original post by numar9501
I have very similar skin, trust me-keep moisturising! if need be use a mattifier or some powder to lose the 'shine' but never skip the moisturiser. I used it a long time ago (when i was about 14) and used it for about 6 months...how old are you? once you are over 16 your doctor might suggest the contraceptive pill that is combined specially for acne (although you can obvs take it before 16). That is what i use atm and although it hasn't gotten rid of my acne completely it has made it a lot less.
Also make sure you use a proper cleanser instead of soap etc on your face and remove blackheads regularly.

I wasn't sure whether moisturising straight after applying duac would be good because i was scared the moisturiser would affect it. I usually apply moisturiser once it's dried on my skin. I'm 17, how long did you use duac and how well did it work for you? I use The Body Shop's Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Cleanser in the morning and at night and then exfoliate 3 times a week with St Ives Naturally Clear Apricot Scrub :smile:
Reply 18
I wasn't sure whether moisturising straight after applying duac would be good because i was scared the moisturiser would affect it. I usually apply moisturiser once it's dried on my skin. I'm 17, how long did you use duac and how well did it work for you? I use The Body Shop's Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Cleanser in the morning and at night and then exfoliate 3 times a week with St Ives Naturally Clear Apricot Scrub :smile:

To be honest it sounds like you are doing everything right! Let duac sit on your skin for about 10 minutes and then moisturise...wait 5 minutes and then if you wear make up go ahead...i used duac for about 6 months and even though it helped with my acne i ended up with really tight dry skin so asked for an alternative....at this point the doctor put me on antibiotics for about 6 months and then took me off because they aren't for long term use....after that i went on the pill and now i just use a cleanser twice a day, moisturise twice a day and use an exfoliator 3 times a week....although i still get some spots its mainly hormonal and is now settling down as i finally end puberty haha! Just a note, despite having really oily skin i found the body shop cleanser that you use as well quite strong....however the tea tree can only be good! Maybe try al 'simple' products since they have no more than what is necessary?
Ask for Roaccutane, it will completely clear your acne.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest