The Student Room Group

Newspapers

Which do you believe is the best UK newspaper in terms of giving a wide range of news and educated opinions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

The Independent or Guardian for range, but obviously reading the FT or the Economist will give more educated opinions on a smaller range of news.

I was brought up on the Mirror and ever since I started buying papers for myself I would be as likely to buy that as the Daily Mail, Telegraph and, to some extent, the Times. Most tabloids are sensationalist nonsense. The Guardian is a little too left-wing at times but focuses on some governmental issues better than any tabloid. On that basis, I'd choose The Independent.
Reply 2
Possibly the Times but I tend to find reading one newspaper is utterly useless to get any kind of real picture of what is going on
Reply 3
Original post by ColdColourStitch
The Independent or Guardian for range, but obviously reading the FT or the Economist will give more educated opinions on a smaller range of news.

I was brought up on the Mirror and ever since I started buying papers for myself I would be as likely to buy that as the Daily Mail, Telegraph and, to some extent, the Times. Most tabloids are sensationalist nonsense. The Guardian is a little too left-wing at times but focuses on some governmental issues better than any tabloid. On that basis, I'd choose The Independent.

The guardian should be treated akin to the daily mail, it's utter trash.

But I conclude with your opinion of the independent being the best choice
I read The Times, and I find it the best. But I rarely have it in paper form, and I get most of my news online. You can't really argue with the quality of BBC news.
Reply 5
Original post by GrumpyCat
The guardian should be treated akin to the daily mail, it's utter trash.

But I conclude with your opinion of the independent being the best choice

Oh really now.

If you stay away from the opinionated tribe, the guardian is good for covering a wide range of issues. Very good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Wow... some very defiant views then...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
The BBC News website is fairly reliable and generally avoids bias, though can be a bit statist at times.
I dare say the Daily Mail...
Reply 9
Original post by chocolatesauce
I dare say the Daily Mail...

Certainly not for educated opinions.
Original post by 419
Oh really now.

If you stay away from the opinionated tribe, the guardian is good for covering a wide range of issues. Very good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Guardian readers tend to be the most opinionated people around, with daily mail readers a close second.
Original post by Kiss
The BBC News website is fairly reliable and generally avoids bias, though can be a bit statist at times.

There's a degree of bias in most news outlets. The BBC has opened itself up to a lot of criticism recently and has been accused of being the televised guardian.

Al Jazeera on line isn't bad, but again tends to be biased when dealing with middle eastern topics.

But I'd say the independant, telegraph, Scotsman or the times.
Reply 12
Russia today
Reply 13
The Guardian is too leftist for many, but I like it. I'd go with The Independent though, although it could be argued as being a 'viewspaper' rather than a 'newspaper'.
Reply 14
the i is brilliant ; it only costs 20p weekdays and has good coverage of national & international news, as well as a great crossword !!
Reply 15
Original post by Mackay
The Guardian is too leftist for many, but I like it. I'd go with The Independent though, although it could be argued as being a 'viewspaper' rather than a 'newspaper'.

It's not even the lefty part being the issue, i'd say im more right wing then anything else but I still read the independent(Center left)

It's just that the guardian on alot of issues says either crazy/wacky/Utterly wrong things, but believes it's an intellectual paper so it must be correct, the dailymail is just as wacky however it's the dailymail(Nobody treats it seriously) . A good example would be the recent defense of the lee rigby murders by the guardian.
Original post by GrumpyCat
It's not even the lefty part being the issue, i'd say im more right wing then anything else but I still read the independent(Center left)

It's just that the guardian on alot of issues says either crazy/wacky/Utterly wrong things, but believes it's an intellectual paper so it must be correct, the dailymail is just as wacky however it's the dailymail(Nobody treats it seriously) . A good example would be the recent defense of the lee rigby murders by the guardian.

You mean the one you obviously didn't read?
Reply 17
Tv - Bloomberg and Bbc

Paper - Ft and Times

I will say that a range of outlets are needed for different prospective.
Reply 18
Original post by MatureStudent36
Guardian readers tend to be the most opinionated people around, with daily mail readers a close second.

Wouldn't disagree with this. But it is good for foreign news. A lot if this lurks in the b/g. I invariably stay away from comment section or view them when I need some glorified quasi/bourgeoise entertainment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Rakas21
Tv - Bloomberg and Bbc

Paper - Ft and Times

I will say that a range of outlets are needed for different prospective.

Are you a subscriber to both ft and times?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending