The Student Room Group

Can I take physics instead of biology when applying for medicine?

Hey, I hate plants and despite looking into the AQA Biology A and discovering that human biology is a large part of the AS modules there is still some ecology involved which just doesn't appeal to me.
I want to study medicine and will study maths, chemistry and Spanish alongside whichever subject I choose, but can I study physics instead and still get offers?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
i would not recommend it bio and medicine go hand in hand like maths and engineering
I think it'd extremely limit your options, I'm no medic but I'd definitely go for biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I took maths to study physics but I sure as hell do not enjoy learning about probability. It's about compatibility. You'd be far better off studying biology. As you said human biology is a large part of the course still so to exempt it because you do not like ecology would not be a wise choice!
Reply 4
Usually you need it at a c at AS if not offered at A level although this depends where you apply. I would personally recommend you do it, I hated all the plant and ecology stuff but it was a pretty fun subject and usually a good bet for a high grade! The biology and chemistry are pretty handy and so is maths especially staristics. I would say either do physics and biology or just the biology but don't overload on subjects!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Always hated learning about plants, biodiversities and evolution etc, but once I started the course, they are actually quite enjoyable.

If you are serious about taking medicine then take up biology. Biology isn't a must for medicine but the majority of the universities prefer people taking them. Not taking biology limits your choices of university (only Aberdeen, East Anglia, Leeds and Sheffield consider applicants not taking biology if I am correct), doing only AS biology opens up a few more universities that are willing to consider you, doing a full A level biology will make all the med schools available for you. :smile:
I think you'd be limiting your options a fair bit. Probably better to do Biology - surely you can cope with a bit of ecology, it's hardly that bad...
Reply 7
Just do biology - there'll be lots of things at med school which you won't find interesting either, but you just need to get through it all the same. Doing biology will definitely increase the range of med schools which you'll be able to apply to.
Some medical schools don't mind if you don't take biology, but in my opinion you want to keep your options open. I do AQA biology, and yes, the ecology stuff can be boring, but you just have to bear it and keep your long term goals in mind. You do also do some human stuff, such as lung and heart function and disease :smile:
Reply 9
There is a human biology a-level, but i'll assume that's not an option.

You don't have to do biology, but it limits your options. Chemistry is the more essential subject. Look at this resource and the university websites - all requirements will be clearly stated.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheBookWorm101
Hey, I hate plants and despite looking into the AQA Biology A and discovering that human biology is a large part of the AS modules there is still some ecology involved which just doesn't appeal to me.
I want to study medicine and will study maths, chemistry and Spanish alongside whichever subject I choose, but can I study physics instead and still get offers?

Few med schools say they require Biology at A2

Many med schools say they require Biology at AS

I would say you don't want to close any doors, if you're capable take Biology. It would maximise your chanced of getting in in the long term.

I thought exactly like this when I was choosing A levels, but I ended up taking biology. AS (I did AQA too :smile:) isn't too bad in terms of ecology. I found that there was enough human stuff in there to keep me interested. (I would say don't carry it on to A2 though if you don't like ecology because unit 4 is virtually pure ecology!)

At the end of the day, as long as it's only the ecology/plant stuff that's putting you off taking it, I'd say that that's a small price to pay for the much larger choice of medical schools you'll be able to apply to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Personally I find ecology etc ****, even my biology teacher dislikes it. It wouldnt be a major issue for many unis to not have biology however from what I understand it'd put you at a disadvantage in first year. You may also face questions as to why someone who wants to study the body fforever has chosen not to do so at a level. Disliking plants won't cut it as an answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vodka
Always hated learning about plants, biodiversities and evolution etc, but once I started the course, they are actually quite enjoyable.

If you are serious about taking medicine then take up biology. Biology isn't a must for medicine but the majority of the universities prefer people taking them. Not taking biology limits your choices of university (only Aberdeen, East Anglia, Leeds and Sheffield consider applicants not taking biology if I am correct), doing only AS biology opens up a few more universities that are willing to consider you, doing a full A level biology will make all the med schools available for you. :smile:

Thank you all for your responses :smile: Could I take it up to AS then pursue the other 3 sciences instead, since, the AS units seem manageable but A2 seems impossible with AQA as an exam board
So.. Based on all of your responses bio is inevitable, but, can I drop it at AS instead, then?
Reply 15
A friend of mine did Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics and got interviews from all 4 choices. On the other hand, many of my friends had Maths, Chemistry, Biology + another academic subject and didn't get all their interviews. You should look at which Uni's place more emphasis on academics and which prefer other qualities and then choose accordingly. You could always do both and drop Biology after AS, although it will be a larger workload
Reply 16
So.. Based on all of your responses bio is inevitable, but, can I drop it at AS instead, then?

It not impossible to do that but most people wouldn't recommend it
Reply 17
Most applicants are going to have A2 Biology or equivalent. I wouldn't if I were you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Thank you all for your responses :smile: Could I take it up to AS then pursue the other 3 sciences instead, since, the AS units seem manageable but A2 seems impossible with AQA as an exam board

You can but decide on that AFTER you have finished your AS exams and have received your results. But nevertheless, A2 biology is where the fun comes in!

PS: If you can't handle A2 Biology, what makes you think you can handle 5/6 years of medschool?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending